PDA

View Full Version : finally found a spot to get a genuine texas brisket

gun smoke
01-21-2016, 04:59 PM
I was working at a farm today and about fell over when I saw the cattle this old farmer had. not many long horns around here.

Ol'Joe
01-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Those are some very impressive bovines! Are you really gonna get some meat from them?

Bludawg
01-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Must be a rustler Somebody Git A Rope:-P I can watch them graze for hrs majestic critters ornery but majestic.:thumb:

Happy Hapgood
01-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Very Cool!

landarc
01-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Nice cow, mooo

jimstocks53
01-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Hard to believe how important the longhorn breed was to Texas (very hardy and can eat most anything) and to the rest of America (driving cattle to railheads and eastern stomachs via trails such as the Chisholm and Goodnight-Loving) and then how significantly the breed became almost lost. The meat is perfectly suited for low n slow barbecue because it has a reputation of being as tough as the breed is hardy.

cats49er
01-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Where is Walker,Texas Ranger that is.

cowgirl
01-21-2016, 07:35 PM
Bludawg is right, ornery but majestic critters. I've pastured a few with my cattle for a friend. They know how to use their horns. lol
They push the polled cattle away from the feeders, stick their heads through the barbed wire fence and forget how to pull back without tearing out the barbed wire.

Not all longhorns behave badly though. :grin:

SDAR
01-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Never been around the breed. Just been around the feeder brands that feed quickly and go to the feed lots. I doubt the brisket from that breed but bet I could cook one tender. As an Aggie, they are arrogant stubborn bastards! :tsk:

gun smoke
01-21-2016, 07:48 PM
this old guy said for the most part they are easy to handle. like all beef you get an ornery cow and it seems every calf she has will be ornery and feeding can get dicey when they start to push. I'm going to stop back in the spring and see about getting a skull to hang on my bbq shack. they were the first long horns I have ever seen.