PDA

View Full Version : Retractable awning

Rusty Kettle
01-16-2016, 12:14 AM
So I built a small 8'x10' floating deck not to long ago. I love it except there is no cover to the deck. I wanted to add a roof but just don't want to have to get a permit and drop a fortune. I have seen retractable manual awnings that look good that are reasonably priced. Does anyone have one? Does it hold up in bad weather? Should I close it up after using it so if the wind kicks up it doesn't destroy it. Are they flimsy or durable? Would this be a good more economical solution to adding cover to our porch?

Any thoughts about using a retractable awning for a roof over my porch and my smokers?

BBQ Freak
01-16-2016, 12:28 AM
i researched this and have heard they work great but you will haft to make sure they are high enough or the smoker venting will get hot and burn a hole in it but depends on the smoker you have too . high winds will tear them up too and my buddy found out that the hard way $1,500 later .

Rusty Kettle
01-16-2016, 12:42 AM
I cook with my kamado, a vision grills series m classic. Also, 2 14.5" WSMs and a 22.5" WSM. Kettles too. A barrel grill that burns hot because of air leaks. I never bothered to fix them as it is great for wings and beans.

Maybe I should just cover the smokers after I am done and put covers over them if I go this route.

Do you know how much clearance should be between the smokers and the awning?

Wow $1500 lot of cash to lose right there. They have a few in the $300 range on ebay that are not branded that I was leaning towards. At least to see if I like it. Maybe upgrade down the road if I feel I like it and need to upgrade. They are manual so no motor which seems to make the difference in price. Although the motorized ones apparently can get a wind sensor installed that will roll it up if the winds kick up.

I don't want to drop $1500 that's for sure. I only spent a little under $15.00 to build the porch.

Retired RailRoader
01-16-2016, 09:10 AM
I have a SunSetter motorized awning for my patio. I only use mine for shade only as its not made for bad weather. The retractable arms will not support a heavy rain and definitely will buckle under any snowfall. The other concern is wind, a gust will lift the awning and possibly bend the arms or joints. You may want to consider a popup canopy if you're expecting bad weather.

smoke ninja
01-16-2016, 09:48 AM
I bought an ez up style gazebo tent from sams. Its 12x12 looks nice and sets up in minutes

pjtexas1
01-16-2016, 09:56 AM
I have that cheap ebay one. I never leave leave it open. I don't think any of them will hold up to rain or wind. I also saw all the bad reviews for the motors so I stayed away from them. Just make sure to mount it properly or it will rip off the wall under its own weight. I rarely use mine though.

effinUker
01-16-2016, 10:20 AM
If you want to touch & feel one before you commit to spending the money, stop at an RV dealership and see the awnings they use on the campers. That's pretty much what you're looking at.