PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in an indoor Black Oven?

Brother Matt
01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Do any of you Brethren keep the BBQ going year round in an indoor black oven?

el_matt
01-11-2016, 03:38 PM
I keep it going year round, outdoors, in my charcoal/wood cookers.

Matt

FireChief
01-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Same here. "BBQ / Grilling Season" is a phrase I don't understand.

tom b
01-11-2016, 04:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
right....jacket , hat, umbrella, what ever bbq season is year around here

Smoke on Badger Mountain
01-11-2016, 05:04 PM
I just knock the snow off the cooker before I light the fire!

mattmountz94
01-11-2016, 05:16 PM
I cook all year long in rain snow whatever they want to throw at me

Teleking
01-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Pardon the ignorance, what is the indoor black oven smoker you speak of?

Brother Matt
01-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Well, an oven where flue gases pass through it, typically in a masonry heater or wood fired cook stove. As opposed to a white oven, which in the same setting would be a box, isolated from but surrounded by the flue gases.

Dmakkk
01-11-2016, 07:31 PM
All Year Long Baby....

Brother Matt
01-11-2016, 07:34 PM
Pardon the ignorance, what is the indoor black oven smoker you speak of?

http://fireworksmasonry.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/708louoven_0536e.jpg

campdude
01-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Outside when ever time permits.

Brother Matt
01-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Wow, so....nobody? I would think this would be such a great fit with the BBQ/Smoking community. I mean, I get that you guys are tough and cook outdoors all year, and all you have to do is look at a few of my posts to know I'm right there with you.

However, what a dream for a die hard BBQ guy in a cool climate. Every time you buy wood or split wood, you are not only feeding your BBQ stock pile, but working towards heat for your home as well. You need to light the fire everyday anyway, might as well make every day, Brisket Day!

Seems like something the Brethren, and the BBQ world in general, would be excited about. I suppose it's just off the radar, nobody knows they want one.

I think it's the coolest thing since the butcher paper brisket wrap.

cfrazier77
01-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Actually I would love to have one. Can you also use it like a pizza oven?

Fwismoker
01-12-2016, 10:53 AM
All year long

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1020012_zpsa779266a.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1020012_zpsa779266a.jpg.html)

Brother Matt
01-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Actually I would love to have one. Can you also use it like a pizza oven?

Yep. Pizza, pie, cake, smoked pork steak....whatever you can imagine, in a bbq, in your kitchen. What's not to like?

FireChief
01-12-2016, 11:28 AM
For me it's not that I wouldn't be cool to have one, it's just that for the handful of times when I don't feel like battling the cold or the elements, I don't think I could justify putting something like that in my kitchen. By all means, If you think you would get almost equal use of it compared to outdoor cooking would probably be a good idea.

Nuco59
01-12-2016, 07:44 PM
All year long

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1020012_zpsa779266a.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1020012_zpsa779266a.jpg.html)

That white stuff SUCKS- but I cannot knock your choice in beer...love me some Stone IPA :thumb:

tish
01-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Yep. Pizza, pie, cake, smoked pork steak....whatever you can imagine, in a bbq, in your kitchen. What's not to like?

They are fantastic, Matt, and extremely versatile. We had a small beehive oven to the side of a massive fireplace where I cooked on a daily basis at the living history museum where I used to work. You could make anything in that oven that you would normally do on your outdoor cookers. It was circa early 1800s so it didn't have the oven behind the fireplace with the "squirrel tail" flue for better draw, but it worked well nonetheless. I would kill to have one of these in my house, but we're not set up for it at all. Lucky, lucky you that you have one. Would love to see pics of any cooks you do in it. Congrats! :clap:

bvbull200
01-12-2016, 10:54 PM
For a multitude of reasons, I have no need or no ability to own/use one of these.

That said, it still intrigues me. What sort of search terms ought I be using to look them over online? Indoor black oven is pretty generic and doesn't seem to yield the results I'm looking for.

Nvoges
01-13-2016, 07:43 AM
I'd like to know more about these as well.

tish
01-13-2016, 09:17 AM
For a multitude of reasons, I have no need or no ability to own/use one of these.

That said, it still intrigues me. What sort of search terms ought I be using to look them over online? Indoor black oven is pretty generic and doesn't seem to yield the results I'm looking for.

I'd like to know more about these as well.

I could tell you more about these from an historical point of view and the way in which they were built and used traditionally in centuries past, but I would start a different thread for that and am not even sure it would be welcome in Q-talk. Boshizzle has posted these historical cooking threads in the past, but I'm not sure where he posted them. His had more to do with cooking outdoors, whereas I've done much more research with fireplaces and ovens indoors.

For more modern day builds, Matt would need to tell you about his. Not sure if he did it himself, bought the house with an already existing one, or had it built for him. There are companies who do this sort of masonry work today, but being more a part of the past than the present, I couldn't give you any links that would help you with that. Maybe Matt can say when he checks in next.

Brother Matt
01-13-2016, 11:41 AM
I could tell you more about these from an historical point of view and the way in which they were built and used traditionally in centuries past, but I would start a different thread for that and am not even sure it would be welcome in Q-talk. Boshizzle has posted these historical cooking threads in the past, but I'm not sure where he posted them. His had more to do with cooking outdoors, whereas I've done much more research with fireplaces and ovens indoors.

For more modern day builds, Matt would need to tell you about his. Not sure if he did it himself, bought the house with an already existing one, or had it built for him. There are companies who do this sort of masonry work today, but being more a part of the past than the present, I couldn't give you any links that would help you with that. Maybe Matt can say when he checks in next.

I did build mine, and it is a departure from the traditional style with regards to combustion performance, and the nature of the oven is a bit unorthodox compared to most masonry heater/oven builds.

I'll post a thread soon, I took some photos of a typical day of cooking yesterday. In the meantime, you can find both traditional and modern versions by searching for Masonry Heater, Finnish or Russian Heater or Stove, Kachelofen, and add oven to any of those. The cooking features were typically accessories in heater builds, and are more often White ovens rather than Black, but both are fairly common.

You can also search the same kind of terms, with cook stove, or cook top, and you will get closer to my format. There are some beautiful examples in Finland, and the East Coast of the US has some builders as well.

Thanks for the kind words.....I cook the same way you all do, but it can be hard to find folks I can share and collaborate with. I guess I'm just reaching out to you guys, 'cause the more I cruise the internet trying to talk smoked meats, the more I get smacked down with TWO TWENTY FIVE OR FIGHT! I love you guys and your real cooking skills.

tish
01-13-2016, 04:34 PM
I didn't want to mention anything about the white ovens and heating with the flu gases in passageways around the oven because I couldn't see your whole set up and wasn't sure how it was constructed. It would be awesome to see your photos, and hear more about the construction of your oven. I can see that it departs from the traditional, so looking forward to learning what modifications you made. Thanks for posting!