PDA

View Full Version : What Meat source?

Rich M
01-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Happy New Year Brethren!

Curious as to which of the big three (BJ's, Cosco or Restaurant Depot), do you prefer to purchase your Q Meats from, and why?

Thanks,
Rich

DriverWild
01-03-2016, 11:06 AM
I don't have a BJ's or RD close so that leaves Costco and Sam's. I like Costco for prime briskets and Sam's for pork.

Ron_L
01-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Restaurant Depot mostly, but when Costco has prime briskets I'll go there, and Sam's for butts if I don't have time to go to RD.

IamMadMan
01-03-2016, 11:18 AM
I get the bulk of mine from a local butchers that slaughters his own animals. I get a good price and a great fresh product. But when his demand is up, I use any of the above. Restaurant Depot is a little bit of a trip for me, so unless I am buying in cases or cooking for a large event, it isn't worth my while.

The bulk of my shopping is done at BJ's because they are consistent with their product lines. What the sold last year, they still sell this year. While their prices are good, they aren't the lowest, they have Pork Butts for $1.89 and Wegman's has the everyday low price of $1.39.

Costco for the most part has some items, like meats, that are a higher quality and of course a higher price; but you get what you pay for. My only fault with Costco is sometimes they just change product for no reason. Example.. Last year for the first 6 months they sold Stubb's BBQ Sauce, I was there almost every week buying it in the large bottles, then without notice it was gone and they had Sweet Baby Rays. They discontinued the product, had I known that I would have purchased about 8 cases or more. When you come to depend upon something and want consistency in your offering, it's really a let down.

But everyone has different needs, so what works for one person may not be what works for another.

LYU370
01-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Sam's for pork. I'll go to RD on occasion, but it's a bit of a drive. Costco & Sam's don't have packers here, WallyWorld does.

LMAJ
01-03-2016, 12:34 PM
No access to RD for me, and we have used Costco in the past. Right now we get most chicken and beef ribs (when we can find them) from BJs. Pork shoulders I typically get at my local grocery store when they are on sale - just picked up 2 for 99 cents a pound.
Brisket and rib roasts I get from a local meat company - they are prime and come from the mid west. We also get chicken wings from them and have gotten a ben in loin and just got a fresh pork belly from them that was outstanding. Their prices are good, the quality is excellent, and I get ti support a local business.

Blue Smoke BBQ
01-03-2016, 01:14 PM
No BJ's in Minnesota, Costco for Prime Brisket, Ribs, wings
Sam's for Pork
RD for all, when in that neighborhood.
Also have a great pork producer that has Duroc pork that we get a great deal on!

qposner
01-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Costco for ribs, flats, wings, steaks, etc. Cash and Carry for bone in butts and packers.

Rich M
01-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Thanks everyone....

bbq.tom
01-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Restaurant Depot for brisket
SAMs for ribs
local stores for butts ($0.89 per pound - I load up the freezer!)