PDA

View Full Version : Smoker refinishing question

ewknapp08
01-02-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm refinishing an offset smoker made of 1/4" steel. My plan is to use a nylon wheel and a 4" angle grinder to take any exterior scale off. I then plan on using naval jelly on the outside of it prior to painting. My question is, what to do with the inside of the cook chamber. There is some surface rust. I don't want to use any chemicals in there and don't plan on painting the inside either. My thought is to use a scotch brite pad to clean up anything loose and then coat the inside with cooking oil and run it hot for a few hours.

Any advice or ideas are welcome.

Q Junkie
01-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Depending on the type of scale you have, but a needle scaler works pretty good then a wire wheel.

yakdung
01-02-2016, 03:12 PM
I would hit the inside with plain water shot from a pressure washer. After drying, I would coat the inside with cheap bacon, build a fire and let it rip.

ewknapp08
01-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Depending on the type of scale you have, but a needle scaler works pretty good then a wire wheel.

Not really scale on the inside, mostly just typical surface rust on inside

Hillbilly BBQ
01-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Dont worry about the naval jelly, id hit it with a flapper wheel, finish it up with a 180 or 220. Use a product called MEK, found at home depot & etc, wipe the outside down with it. Spray multiple thin coats of paint....youll be good to go!

Inside, grab a putty knife, scrape as much as you can. Use some pam spray, and run it up to 300* for a couple of hours.

BBQ Freak
01-02-2016, 03:32 PM
on the inside I would just scrap it off and then just coat the inside with pam and heat it up and season it for a few hours .

ewknapp08
01-02-2016, 04:58 PM
on the inside I would just scrap it off and then just coat the inside with pam and heat it up and season it for a few hours .

Thanks for the info

Doug Crann
01-02-2016, 06:00 PM
I painted my RF. Can't tell after using a half dozen times...

Roguejim
01-02-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm glad someone brought this up. I will be burning in my drum soon. Never done it. Can I expect the exterior paint to just flake off from the heat? I have an angle grinder. Should I just buy some sort of wire brush attachment, or something else, to remove residual paint?

BBQ Freak
01-02-2016, 11:24 PM
I used a hard foam wheel that attached to my Dewalt drill and it takes off paint and any rust . sorry do not know what is called but got it at Ace Hardware .

dwfisk
01-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Exterior (ONLY) - I use a product called Ospho on new or rusty metal. It is a phosphoric acid based product (with other stuff) that interacts with iron oxide (rust) and converts it to iron phosphate a very hard black crust that makes an excellent base for paint, especial high temp Rustoleum. I put it on, more rust then a more liberal coating, let it sit for at least 24 hours then wipe is down with dentures alcohol or acetone immediately before paint. If the metal has a heavy rust scale any of the previous suggestions for de-scaling will work.

PS: for their high temp paints, Rustoleum recommends no primer; works great over the Ospho/alcohol treatment, especially if applied with a HVLP gun.

Interior & cooking grates - I would just pressure wash and preseason, pretty much any food safe oil. I've gotten pretty lazy and use the canola oil in a spray can.

Swine Spectator
01-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Exterior (ONLY) - I use a product called Ospho on new or rusty metal. It is a phosphoric acid based product (with other stuff) that interacts with iron oxide (rust) and converts it to iron phosphate a very hard black crust that makes an excellent base for paint, especial high temp Rustoleum.

I recently refinished mine. I had great luck using a nylon wheel on my drill and a product called Chemprime; which is very similar to Ospho recommended my DWFisk above.

Refinish thread here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210089