PDA

View Full Version : My First Fatties

Blutch
12-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I just put my first fatties on the smoker. Using the Smokey Mountain propane for this one rather than fire up the big offset for such a small amount.

The store I went to didn't have JD's, so I got the JC Potter rolls. I hope they are just as good.

Couple questions - about 2.5 hours at 250 I have read.. what internal temp should be reached? It is cold here, so I will have trouble keeping that temp up.

Do I turn them?

I won't have time to eat them fresh off the smoker.. how do you best reheat them? Sliced? Microwave?

Thanks for the help!

B

thillin
12-01-2006, 03:55 PM
A couple of hours. I take off at 160ish. Let rest. Carry over will get it to 170. Turn if you want. Sometimes I turn, sometimes not. Slice and nuke or pan fry to reheat. They go great on biscuits in the morning.

Bigmista
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Ummm...if you use propane, where does the smoke come from?

Blutch
12-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Hickory chips and chunks in the wood box over the propane. This is how the Smokey Mountain smokers work. I used this for years before getting an offset stick smoker.

B

swamprb
12-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I found some cheapo expando grill toppers from wally world that I use for smoking nuts that leave some nice grill marks on the fatties. I use them on my GOSM, I can just pull them out quickly turn them and not lose all the heat keeping the door open.

ghostrider
12-01-2006, 04:53 PM
pics?

Puppyboy
12-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Ummm...if you use propane, where does the smoke come from?

There is a new BBQ joint here in town that uses propane. He sets it to the desired temp and puts some wood chunks in a smoker box. He says propane for heat, wood for smoke. I have not eaten there yet but he has a buffet on Sundays.

jgh1204
12-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Blutch, do you have the thin wall or the insulated one?

Blutch
12-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Blutch, do you have the thin wall or the insulated one?

Yeah, I have the thin one. Wish I didn't. But it worked great on the fatties. I was surprised that the inside stuff didn't cook much. It melted the cheese, but the onions were still crispy.. I was thinking about putting small pototoes in there, but I don't think they'd cook.

B

Pyle's BBQ
12-02-2006, 05:00 AM
If you want to put potatoes in your fatty, you can cook them first to fork tender and then stuff them in the fatty.