PDA

View Full Version : Don't it just figure,, ( free peach wood )

GA1dad
12-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Took a road trip today a few hours from home to see my son. Rather than drive my 3/4 ton Chevrolet, I decided to save gas and take my wife's Honda CRV. As I drove past a peach orchard I noticed several limbs on the ground. I stop to talk to the owner and ask if I can pick up a few limbs. The 87 year old man grins and says "Ya lookin' fer some BBQ wood?" I smiled back and said "Yessir". To my surprise the gentleman tells me I can have all I want as long as it's dead already,,, woohoo!!

Now don't it just figure I get free range to peach wood hours from home, and I'm in my wife's hatchback,,, with no saw. So I tried to pick out a few that I could bust by hand and fit in without scuffing up the wife's upholstery. Now I know to drive my truck next time I'm down that way.

To those that burn fresh peach,,, do you trim the scaley, mossy looking bark?

campdude
12-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Nice! I would clean off any moss or dirt/other junk before using it for food.

pjtexas1
12-28-2015, 09:10 PM
That's how it usually goes for me too. At least you got a little.

IamMadMan
12-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Great find.... Congratulations.

From the picture it looks more like lichen and it should fall off when stored in a dry area as they thrive on moisture. Once dry, bang the wood and they are gone. A day or two in the hot sun will also remove them.

GA1dad
12-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Lichen,,,, had to look it up. Learned something today,, Thanks!!

mchar69
12-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Wife Happy??? :)

GA1dad
12-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Wife Happy??? :)

She is now that she got a free detailing out of me today,,,,,

The big Chevy is for pulling the camper. I've been mentioning that I wanted to buy a small 4 door truck for commuting,,,,, this might have sealed the deal.

packerQ
12-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Peach wood and a line on a new truck? Score!

blazinfire
12-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Nice score! Sucks how things happen like that! But I've had to load my car up from the front seat to the trunk before with firewood! When I have a nice 1 ton truck sitting in the drive way!

tom b
12-30-2015, 12:32 AM
i get a deal but i not farking up my truck

Thatgrimguy
12-30-2015, 07:12 AM
i get a deal but i not farking up my truck

A few limbs in a storage area in the back of a CRV sure should fark anything up...

@op great find. Funny how things like that sometimes work out.