PDA

View Full Version : Be careful!! This could happen to you

TuscaloosaQ
12-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Last week while doing the cook for our guys at Shirley fab... Sharon was moving my beef ribs from the main chamber to the warmer.. The beef ribs were foiled... She reached up and the foil leaked hot liquid on her arm .. This is the result.... Lucky i had some burn cream with a numbing effect in it.... The moral of the story is..... Prolly should have had some good bbq gloves on.... Next time we will be prepared

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s471/TuscaloosaQ/9345A1C5-CE4C-4116-AA4F-286DDFFD3303.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/TuscaloosaQ/media/9345A1C5-CE4C-4116-AA4F-286DDFFD3303.jpg.html)

It is a nasty burn for sure....

SmittyJonz
12-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Ouch!

landarc
12-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Youch! Sorry to see that happened. I never trust the wrapping, always keep the meat away from my body, and between, not above my arms. And I do wear BBQ gloves.

FireChief
12-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Ouch indeed ! I'm not an expert but that looks pretty close to 2nd degree burn. Had one once, a bit more white and blistered but her skin is peeling. Speedy recovery and hopefully can keep the pain at bay.

AlwaysSmokey
12-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Keep that burn cream handy, takes awhile to heal up that's for sure. Heck of a burn.

Hope she has a speedy recovery.

regards,

Kevin

el_matt
12-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Definitely a second degree burn...they hurt like a farker!!
Thanks for the safety reminder, and a speedy recovery to your lovely wife.

Matt

Ron_L
12-21-2015, 01:20 PM
That hurts just looking at it! I hope that she is healing!

I've done that, too, and I've dripped hot juices on my feet a few times. You'd think that I would learn :tsk:

Jason TQ
12-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Hope she recovers soon Paul. If one thing cooking bbq (including time spent in the restaurant) has taught me is you will be burned at every second of the day in the kitchen or around the smoker. I'm pretty well programmed that I still touch everything gently that I see even sitting out on the stove or anywhere even if it has been there for over a day. I know it isn't probably hot, but I still do the unconscious gentle tap check. Foiling and the pans is where I got it more than a few times starting out. Some times a panned butt won't have a lot of liquid and other times it is full to the brim. Getting burnt feet sucks as much as anywhere.

Heck I still say "behind" and "knife" in the kitchen at my house when in there with my wife :crazy:.

Doug Crann
12-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Ouch....burns are 0 fun....hope she heals quickly

campdude
12-21-2015, 01:36 PM
That looks like a bad one. Hope she heals fast. Find those gloves and use them.

Okie Sawbones
12-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Sorry to see her get a second degree burn. Hope you have Silvadene. How did the skillet feel up the backside of your head?:wink:

daninnewjersey
12-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Wow.....wishing a speedy recovery for her, Paul....

TuscaloosaQ
12-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Thx everyone... For the kind words.. And words of wisdom... I must confess it had been a hectic day.... I had been going back and forth to the sandblaster getting cookers... Trying to make runs in less than an hr so i could tend the fire.. Then on top of that rip our doberman had been hit by a car and had 2 bones in his leg broke... Had to get him from the vet.. I was in a hurry and should have slowed down... Sharon was trying to help.... I felt bad because she was just trying to take a little off of me... So know i have 2 wia's

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s471/TuscaloosaQ/7B611ACE-3ACF-49BC-93C5-9D6CE4A5F7A8.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/TuscaloosaQ/media/7B611ACE-3ACF-49BC-93C5-9D6CE4A5F7A8.jpg.html)

Rip does not realize he is hurt.... He runs thru the yard with that leg up like it is not even there.. He will be 1 year old this month....

LongIslandEd
12-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Hey Brethren, here is an emergency fix for burns. I was a US Navy Corpsman back in the 80's after being in the Marines. Whenever someone got burned in a galley or with things such as napalm or equivalent we would grab a sack of white flour and pour it on the burn. The powdered flour has a huge surface area that dissipates the heat and will, if applied quick enough - minimize pain and blisters. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Doog
12-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Poor Sharon...Burns are nasty! Thanks for the heads up.

TuscaloosaQ
12-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Sorry to see her get a second degree burn. Hope you have Silvadene. How did the skillet feel up the backside of your head?:wink:

I would still be swearing... I have never even heard Sharon say darn.... Glad there Was not a skillet handy!! This might have put her over the edge....

silverfinger
12-21-2015, 02:11 PM
That looks like it hurts really bad.
Prayers sent for a speedy recovery for Sharon and Rip.

Thingfish
12-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Not a fun burn to have for Christmas ... I hope the pain fades and the burn heals quickly!

SmokinM
12-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Wow, that's awful. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Fwismoker
12-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Yep bbq gloves/long sleeves are good protection unfortunately in nice weather the long sleeves rarely come into play. Hope her burn heals quickly.

BBQ can be a dangerous business, I still have a little of my branding scar from a few months ago.

chicagokp
12-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Ouch! Hope that heals up quickly.

PatAttack
12-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Damn, Paul. That's a nasty burn for sure.

Pray Sharon has a speedy and pain free recovery!

AussieMatt
12-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Hope she mends soon.

pjtexas1
12-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Hope she recovers soon Paul. If one thing cooking bbq (including time spent in the restaurant) has taught me is you will be burned at every second of the day in the kitchen or around the smoker. I'm pretty well programmed that I still touch everything gently that I see even sitting out on the stove or anywhere even if it has been there for over a day. I know it isn't probably hot, but I still do the unconscious gentle tap check. Foiling and the pans is where I got it more than a few times starting out. Some times a panned butt won't have a lot of liquid and other times it is full to the brim. Getting burnt feet sucks as much as anywhere.

Heck I still say "behind" and "knife" in the kitchen at my house when in there with my wife :crazy:.

my wife laughs at me for these exact things. i don't trust anything that might be hot. she thinks i am crazy. i got my first burn ever last weekend. had a hole in my bbq glove that i didn't think was bad. grabbed a grate and let go real quick. too late...:tsk:

Paul...hope Sharon heals up real quick. that looks really painful.

nmeyer414
12-21-2015, 03:27 PM
DANG!

I pray that the REAL BOSS heals up with no issues!

paul, you and tyler should go stand in the corner for a while and think about how you will not let the REAL BOSS get hurt with hot food again.........:becky:

Cat797
12-21-2015, 03:33 PM

+1.....Go to the Dr. and get some of Silvadene cream. It will help the burn heal faster.

Hope she heals soon......

Ed

sylntghost
12-21-2015, 06:08 PM
That is one nasty burn.looks like a steam burn..sorry she got hurt.

4ever3
12-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Bless her heart!

Foiled meat MUST be handled like a rattlesnake, at any given moment it could nail you! My Dad had a buddy a couple of weeks ago that was taking a foiled brisket off the smoker, caught the bottom of the foil on the rack on the way out (which he didn't know) and when he pulled it out, hot grease hit him at the knee, ran down and filled up his shoe... Third degree burns! Be careful, it's a jungle out there.

Happy Hapgood
12-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Very sorry to hear about this. Hope she feels better soon!

Eatin Smoke
12-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Hey Brethren, here is an emergency fix for burns. I was a US Navy Corpsman back in the 80's after being in the Marines. Whenever someone got burned in a galley or with things such as napalm or equivalent we would grab a sack of white flour and pour it on the burn. The powdered flour has a huge surface area that dissipates the heat and will, if applied quick enough - minimize pain and blisters. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Please, please, please do NOT try this - The best and only immediate home relief from burns is flushing the affected area w/ cold running water. This effectively stops the "burning process" and the skin should then be covered w/ dry sterile dressings. Burns are susceptible to infections and there are many "urban legends" out there on the internet which have been advised against by healthcare providers.

Paul - I hope your wonderful bride is feeling better soon. That is a nasty 2nd degree burn and I'm sure it hurt.

cheez59
12-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Yikes that looks painful. Hope Ms Paul is doing better.

Dweverett
12-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Wow, really sorry to see that. Hope she heals quickly. Burns are soooo painful

Leftwngr
12-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Yow. Hope both the wife and dog recover soon.

Not to be a fanboy *ahem* or anything, but Pitmaker makes some killer high heat gloves. Much more flexible than others I have bought.

Harbormaster
12-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your incident Sharon. Hope you are recovering.

Silvadine is effective for burns for a while, but it will begin to retard healing. At some point you should switch to Neosporin. Keep it covered, change dressings a couple of times a day. Keep it clean too. Burns like that will get infected real easily.

I'm not a doctor, but I learned a lot from the University of Wisconsin Hospital Burn Center about caring for them when I got burned.

bbqlearner
12-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Wow sorry to hear. Will pray for her recovery.

Okie Sawbones
12-21-2015, 10:12 PM
A second-degree burn that does not cover more than 10% of the skin's surface can be treated at home. Treatment includes the following:

Initially treat with cool running water.
Antibiotic ointments - Silvadene for 3-5 days.
Dressing changes 1 to 2 times a day. Xeroform, is more comfortable and easier to maintain, requiring fewer banadage changes.
Daily cleaning of the wound to remove dead skin or ointment.
Antibiotics for any sign of infection, such as increasing redness beyond the burn area, or streaking going up the arm.
Flour on burns was discredited in 1899. There are many urban legends floating out there, like poultices, and turpentine-soaked cotton, and egg whites. :shocked:

I'm Doc Okie and I approved this message even though I am totally demented. :wink:

oifmarine2003
12-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Hope you are feeling better Sharon!

LongIslandEd
12-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Please, please, please do NOT try this - The best and only immediate home relief from burns is flushing the affected area w/ cold running water. This effectively stops the "burning process" and the skin should then be covered w/ dry sterile dressings. Burns are susceptible to infections and there are many "urban legends" out there on the internet which have been advised against by healthcare providers.

Paul - I hope your wonderful bride is feeling better soon. That is a nasty 2nd degree burn and I'm sure it hurt.

Actually, as far back as 1898 the New England Journal of Medicine recommended this treatment for a temporary relief of burns along with starch and rice powder until definitive help can be gotten. Its a remedy used since early times. Cold water is definitely better because its cold and does two things - lowers heat and removes what is causing the burn.

That aside - anything that cools the burn in an emergent (key word) situation will be better than nothing. I've used this, I've seen it used and it works - it won't negate all pain or blistering but it does work. Its an old, holistic treatment that fell out of favor with allopathic medicine because there are much better long term alternatives.

I appreciate your looking out for the welfare of other people and for posting your opinion.

Most importantly is we all hope Paul's bride gets better real soon.

Bludawg
12-22-2015, 10:11 AM
As Crazycat said Silverdyne is good but it's expensive. There is an inexpensive alternative(Sugardyne) that works just as good, I keep a jar around and it works quite well. Here is a link that tells you how to make and use it http://www.kalman.co.il/sugardyne.

Sammy_Shuford
12-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Prayers for a quick healing!