PDA

View Full Version : Got a big cook need some help

ClintHTX
12-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Cooking for 40 or so people tomorrow night. Got 2 10 lb pork shoulders and 2 15, 17 lb briskets. When would be a good time to start everything and have it ready and well rested by noon Wednesday.

Jason TQ
12-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Well it really comes down to temp you are cooking at as to when you want to start. So cooking at 325-350 normally takes big meats around 6hrs for me so I'd start cooking a little after 4am. But since I like some sleep for a 12pm Wed cook I would roll them lower overnight on a cooker I could strap a guru to. I'd start around 11pm and set it to 225 go to bed and wake up around 6am to see where they are (they are normally in the 160-170 range) and then wrap and bump temp to 300 to finish in the next 3hrs.

What are you cooking them on?

landarc
12-21-2015, 10:10 AM
I'd get a solid 5 hours of sleep from 8pm to 1am, then get up, fire up the cooker and have meats on by 2am, look to have all meats in the cooler by 10am at the latest. Catch a 1 hour beauty nap and hope fit the best

ClintHTX
12-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Cooking on stick burner. Temp range of 250-275

Jason TQ
12-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Cooking on stick burner. Temp range of 250-275

Yeah those big meats could take 9+ hrs. I've done cooks back in the day where I smoked 250'ish for 3hrs and then wrapped and finished in an oven so I could sleep. Just another option there to not have such a long night feeding a stickburner.

cpw
12-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Yeah those big meats could take 9+ hrs. I've done cooks back in the day where I smoked 250'ish for 3hrs and then wrapped and finished in an oven so I could sleep. Just another option there to not have such a long night feeding a stickburner.

I'd go this route too. Put 'em on the stick burner around 8, leave them on there until you want to go to bed, then wrap and put in the oven at 225. Wake up early, check the temps and then crank the oven to get them finished if you need to.

pjtexas1
12-21-2015, 11:08 AM

I'd go this route too. Put 'em on the stick burner around 8, leave them on there until you want to go to bed, then wrap and put in the oven at 225. Wake up early, check the temps and then crank the oven to get them finished if you need to.

^^^i don't do low and slow or overnight cooks any more so this sounds like a good plan to me too.:thumb:

the alternative:
it shouldn't take but maybe an hour longer than your normal cooks but it will take more fuel since there is more meat than normal. if you normally cook at 250-275 then you know that takes about 45 minutes to an hour per pound. so add an hour then another hour for something to go wrong. always add a little time cushion. other things come in to the equation too...how cold the meat is when it goes on the cooker, will airflow be disrupted by the large quantity of meat, wrapping or not, will it be stubborn and hit the stall early. these are some of the reasons that hot and fast has become so popular. to me low and slow causes me to stress a little. just my .02:wink:

SmittyJonz
12-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Midnite