PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine pork butts

HankB
12-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I don't like garlic. I like garlic. :biggrin1: No, make that GARLIC. :rolleyes:

If I make something that calls for garlic, I usually double or triple what the recipe calls for. No one has complained yet. :tongue: I've never been happy with the lack of garlic flavor on my pulled pork. I usually add copious amounts of fresh garlic to a wet rub but it just doesn't do the job. I'm trying something a little different today. I slivered up a bunch of garlic and poked holes in the butts with a paring knife. I stuffed the garlic in the holes.

This is not really a new idea. If I make a pork roast in the oven that's what I do. And my favorite leg of lamb recipe calls for stuffing the holes with garlic, fresh rosemary and Kalamata olive slivers. I'm not sure why I never thought to do this with butts, but it did occur to me today.

Why porcupine? It's kind of like porcupine meatballs. The ends of the garlic stick out and I can feel them when applying the rub. And I couldn't think of a better one word description. I'm looking forward to seeing how this batch comes out. :becky:

erock1320
12-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Perhaps try roasting 3 or 4 heads wrapped up tight in foil swimming in olive oil then use the oil and of course the roasted garlic in your rub?

HankB
12-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Perhaps try roasting 3 or 4 heads wrapped up tight in foil swimming in olive oil then use the oil and of course the roasted garlic in your rub?

Of just prepare the garlic like that and spread on bread. :biggrin1:

I think the problem is that too much of the garlic flavor just drips off when applied on the outside.

erock1320
12-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Im also a garlic fan! I admit it is hard to get any certain flavors deep into a butt or large roast. Putting cloves into the meat would be to concentrated into those areas I would think? Interested to see how it turns out

cheez59
12-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Mince up some fresh garlic real fine. When you pull the pork mix the garlic into it then. The less that garlic cooks the better the benefit from it and the more intense the flavor is.

Free Mr. Tony
12-20-2015, 02:21 PM
There is a make your own stir fry restaurant in my town. They have a bin of garlic water that you can add to your mix. It adds a TON of garlic flavor to the finished dish. I'm thinking maybe that you could make a batch of garlic water, and then inject the water into the butt. If it happened to do to your pork what it does for stir fry, I'm guessing you would be a happy cook.