PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 runs hot

Derrick300
12-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Last night I got all set up for a long overnight brisket cook and all was well. DX2 set to 230 and running great. Woke up this morning and pit temp was up at 287, and could have been hotter overnight......

-DX2 set at 230
-Air gap on fan open slightly more than an 1/8 inch
-40 degrees outside
-BGE XL (full bowl of lump) top vent open 1/4

Any thoughts on why it ran hot would be helpful.

Thanks

buckhorn_cortez
12-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Can you provide a little more information as both of these will have an effect on temperature.

Where was the temperature probe located?
How did you setup the charcoal for the long burn time?

I have had that problem with a BBQ Guru when the temperature probe was in the wrong location (for my smoker, a the far edge of a grate) and the Guru kept pumping air in until a large amount of charcoal was ignited. At that point, it's nearly impossible to recover the lower temperature.

Also had that problem one time when I used too much starter charcoal and ignited a large area of charcoal at the beginning of the cooking. Same thing happens. As the Guru brings the smoker up to temperature, too much charcoal is burning and the lower temperature cannot be recovered.

I use a vertical smoker with a "snake" layout for the charcoal. The last smoke I did was for 12 hours and the Guru held 225F with no change for 11 hours. The last hour the temperature started dropping down as the smoker ran out of charcoal.

I am careful to place the temperature probe in the middle of the smoker, and start charcoal with a minimum of starter charcoal.

Derrick300
12-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Can you provide a little more information as both of these will have an effect on temperature.

Where was the temperature probe located?
How did you setup the charcoal for the long burn time?

Temp probe was clipped to left side grate and wire was crossing over plate setter leg for protection

Charcoal was full bowl with single fire started directly in the center of pile

Doug Crann
12-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Have the same controller...and Egg. Have to shut the Daisy Wheel so that the tear drops are just cracked open if you want to stay in the 225* area. Argued with a lot of folks about using the exhaust to control the temperature. They claim that I have an air leak. Hmmm....also have a FlameBoss, the directions specifically tell you to shut the Daisy Wheel so that the tear drops are barely cracked open

Eddiecalder
12-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Have the same controller...and Egg. Have to shut the Daisy Wheel so that the tear drops are just cracked open if you want to stay in the 225* area. Argued with a lot of folks about using the exhaust to control the temperature. They claim that I have an air leak. Hmmm....also have a FlameBoss, the directions specifically tell you to shut the Daisy Wheel so that the tear drops are barely cracked open

Which would you purchage again between the FlameBoss and thr Guru?

Doug Crann
12-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Which would you purchage again between the FlameBoss and thr Guru?

Will never purchase another BBQ GURU product. Simply because of the nightmare I had dealing with their customer service folls.

That aside....I like the FlameBoss more. Started with the 100, had a problem with it and upgraded to the 200. All 3 of them, when you figure out how to set the Daisy Wheel will hold the temperature within 5* either side of set point. FlameBoss doesn't have provisions for allowing more air in. Fan just blows harder. The FlameBoss has a variable speed blower. It doesn't just cycle on and off like the Guru. Only thing I don't like on the FlameBoss is if you want to jack the pit temperature up for some reason. The fan only blows so hard so a 75* temperature increase takes a while.

Recently purchased an Auber controller. It only monitors the pit temp. Functions like the Guru....fan blows one speed, just cycles to control the temperature. Uses a k-type Thermocouple....same one that ThermoWorks uses so my ThermoWorks probes will work with it. I got the kit with no blower, just use the FlameBoss or Guru blower. It works well. Doesn't have the lid open feature so in theory you could have a large temperature overshoot. I just work quickly to get the lid shut. If all you are looking for is a pit controller....and don't car/want/need the ability to chekhov things via a wi-fi hookup I would look at the Auber

buckhorn_cortez
12-20-2015, 01:15 PM
One thing you can do is verify the temperature accuracy of Guru if you think either the controller or temperature probes may be defective. As I'm sure you know, you can check the accuracy with ice water and boiling water (with the temperature compensated for altitude) - and, of course you can check it against a known thermometer under both conditions.

I have a Kodak process thermometer that I used to check my Thermoworks Thermapen. The Thermapen was within 0.2 degree of the process thermometer so I trust the Thermapen.

When I got the Guru, I checked both the food probe and the temperature probe against the Thermapen in ice water and boiling water. It was within 1 degree of the Thermapen at both temperatures - so, I trust the Guru temperature probes and controller for temperature accuracy.

Fwismoker
12-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Just use the force Luke!

Big George's BBQ
12-20-2015, 01:25 PM
I am suprised with your customer service experience Mine has been excellent I use the Digi Q2 on my Egg Sometimes it gets hotter than want I think that is do to using lump sometimes and also the grease going past the pan and onto the fire I close down the vents until I get the Temp I want I personally like the product

Enrico Brandizzi
12-20-2015, 01:42 PM
I Used BBQ GURU DX2 and WIFI lots of times with 22 WSM + CB door + Pizzastone.
I have only noticed 10F hotter than mine 250F if I cover my WSM with silicone cover.
I must use silicone cover ONLY with very low weather temp.
All other cooks went super steady.

Nuco59
12-20-2015, 08:29 PM
The more I hear about these gizmos, the happier I am that I just saved my money and stopped warming meat to death. Night time is for sleeping- not cooking. :-D

ajstrider
12-21-2015, 12:54 PM
First, I am much happier running my BGE all natural.

One thing that might be occurring that I haven't noticed anyone mention yet is when are you starting the guru?

If you are getting the fire going, then closing it up and let the guru warm up the egg, this can be a big no no. The guru will see it is way below temperature and start the fan running constantly. In an egg, this overstokes your fire considerably and will overshoot your temperature. It is very hard to bring an egg down in temperature when it has overshot.

Let the egg warm up to temperature naturally, then put the guru on if you feel the need for one.

Okie Sawbones
12-21-2015, 02:51 PM
I have a Primo Oval XL, same principle. I use a DigiQ without a hitch, but I had a learning curve.

1 - If I open the lid when the pit is at temp, the DigiQ drops 20 degrees and wants to blow. I've learned to put in my meat, drop the setting on the DigiQ 20 degrees for about 10 minutes, and then set it back to the original temp. This prevents overshooting.

2 - I use heat diverter stones if cooking 275 degrees or below.

3 - If I am happily cooking away and my heat drifts up more than 5-10 degrees over several hours, I have a leaky seal, and it is time to replace them.

4 - The teardrop vent is the same on the Oval. I keep mine open 1/8-1/4 of the way and let the DigiQ blow as needed.

5 - I clip the temp gauge right in the middle, on the same rack as the meat. I find the dome gauge worthless.

YMMV

Merry Christmas. I hope you get it worked out.