PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib Question

MikeWin
12-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Bought a prime rib today that is packaged with the standard plastic wrap on the styrofoam tray. It says to sell by Dec. 17th. If I go ahead and put it in a vac seal bag will it be ok until Christmas Day without freezing it?

robbq
12-13-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't think you can count on that. If it were me, I would freeze it.

KC Smoke
12-14-2015, 02:30 AM
Take it out and leave it in a controlled environment and you're dry aging? Leave it in vacuum and you're wet aging? This seems to make since to me or is it way past my bedtime.

IamMadMan
12-14-2015, 06:48 AM
While there is a great amount of possibility that if you vac-seal it will extend the date, but unfortunately you do not know how the meat was handled prior to you receiving it, and you do not know the sanitary conditions of the cutting location. When you find vac-sealed meats in the store, many of the bags are filled with a shot of nitrogen before vac-sealing to completely displace all of the oxygen in the package. Many do people wet age in these types of packages for weeks beyond the date. I have not, so I can't comment on this.

As far as dry aging, yes, a controlled temperature, controlled humidity, and controlled air flow are all essential to prevent spoilage and bacteria.

It's your money and your call on how far you wish to push the envelope, but a safe suggestion would be to keep the meat frozen and slowly thaw in the refrigerator for a few days before cooking.

MikeWin
12-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys. I Put it in the freezer. Better safe than sorry.

htrisna
12-15-2015, 02:17 AM
Some of my best steaks I've made lately have been vacuum sealed ones that I took out of my freezer and left in the fridge for 1-3 weeks. Mostly because I thought I can get to them by weekend but plans changed. Now, I have no qualms about doing that.

Accidentally found wet aging.