PDA

View Full Version : Kamado High Temp Burn out (cleaning)

Rusty Kettle
12-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Yeah not that interesting but it's firing up my kamado so hey any excuse to fire my favorite grill/smoker/whatever.

According to Chris Grove kamados should be subjected to a high heat burn and cleaning every so often. I finally decided to do the second one I have ever done. I figure I should probably do this in Spring and before winter. Well the lack of snow has caused me to go longer. Just doesn't feel like winter.

Anyways I scrubbed it with a grill brush, cleaned out the ash, added some fresh charcoal and lit it. Now I am waiting for my lighter cube to burn up. Then I can shut the lid and let it get screaming hot. Add my heat diffuser stone to grill on the cooking grate and burn off all the build up. I scraped it but a cleaning burn does seem to get it cleaner.

I just figure it's overdo to be done. Tomorrow I hope to find a nice easy bread recipe and bake some fresh buns. Then cook my pork picnic roast for pulled pork on Sunday to go with the buns. Maybe make coleslaw for the first time ever. I hear it goes well with pork. I think there is vinegar based coleslaw so I may try that.

Rusty Kettle
12-12-2015, 02:09 AM
Added my heat diffuser stone and the brackets for holding the stone. Yeah I know boring cleaning but it is important and I thought maybe documenting this might help someone else.

I recommend nomex gasket upgrade on any kamado. Just saying felt sucks and doesn't last long enough. My felt burned up in 3 days. I was cookin very high heat for a few days lol.

So yeah periodic maintance helps. Supposedly if you don't do high heat burns you will have issues with it being as efficient with reflecting heat back. No idea if it is true but a bit of cleaning never hurts. Definitly do a high heat burn for cleaning before any baking. It really does leave a nasty taste if you don't burn it out before baking. I learned first hand about that.

What can I say I really love my kamado.

Doog
12-12-2015, 02:55 AM
I was going to say watch your gasket if your going to burn it real hot.
My Kamado gets used a lot for baking smoked apple pies these days.

Rusty Kettle
12-12-2015, 03:17 AM
I was going to say watch your gasket if your going to burn it real hot.
My Kamado gets used a lot for baking smoked apple pies these days.

I think it was rated at 650 so I will shut it down at about 625 to prevent gasket failure. I got them from

https://www.high-que.com/mobile/Nomex-High-Heat-Grill-Gaskets_c_10.html#homeSubCat_10_1

Very nice upgrade and top tier customer service. I had to call during installation and they walked me through it as I was having trouble installing the gasket on the top vent and getting the cap to fit. Real simple solution was install it a little higher and then press it on. It worked great!

Smoking Piney
12-12-2015, 09:27 AM
I've heard too many horror stories of nuclear hot clean burns frying the gaskets. I clean my dome interior with balled up aluminum foil...works well. I vacuum out the fire box periodically and I use foil on my plate setter, so it doesn't get get grungy.

I'm in no hurry to ruin my gaskets.