PDA

View Full Version : Cheese sweat question?

mwild103
12-11-2015, 05:25 PM
So I smoked some cheese today. This was my second go at this. I used the AMS in my stumps baby and it worked good. I kept the temp at 74 which was actually the outside ambient temp here in Oklahoma today! Left it in for right at 2 hrs and pulled it. When I did I noticed a small amount of what I would call sweat on the blocks of cheese. Does this mean anything? That it got too hot or is a little bit normal? I wrapped it all tight and put in the ice box for 2 or 3 weeks.

IamMadMan
12-11-2015, 06:36 PM
It is normal, just wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to open and eat...

Fwismoker
12-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Nope it's good...with cheese just go to the color you like and let mellow/age for a few weeks minimum. Longer is better but vac seal it.

Doug Crann
12-11-2015, 06:50 PM
2 hours? Last batch I smoked for us was 8 hours..

Seefyre
12-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Some cheeses I found are more prone to get the sweats, but at that temp you did not overheat it.

Wait a couple weeks and enjoy!

Fwismoker
12-11-2015, 07:05 PM
2 hours? Last batch I smoked for us was 8 hours..:shocked:

mwild103
12-11-2015, 07:13 PM
2 hours? Last batch I smoked for us was 8 hours..

Yeah the last batch I did came out ok with plenty of smoke taste. Plus, after hours and hours of lurking on here it seems the average is 2 to 3 hours! I guess I should point out I did extra sharp cheddar and sharp onion cheddar all in blocks about 1 1/4 inches by 4 inch square blocks.

4ever3
12-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Did you get your cheese at Swans?

IamMadMan
12-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Timed exposure to smoke when slow smoking cheese depends on several things...

Personal tastes. Personal tastes of heavy or light smoke flavor will determine exposure time for many.

The type of cheese. The type of cheese you are smoking also determines exposure time. Harder, Stronger, flavored cheeses like Emmentaler Swiss, Extra Sharp Cheddar, Asiago, and Gruyère can take a heavy smoke without overpowering the flavor of the cheese. Whereas Brie, Camembert, Bleu, Mild Cheddar, and other mild flavored cheeses can be easily overpowered with heavy smoke exposure.

Type of wood / pellets. Hickory or Mesquite can easily overpower mild flavors of even strong flavored cheeses. Use milder wood / pellets like fruit woods to impart a complimentary smoke flavor to the cheese and not overpower the delicate flavor of the cheese. I prefer to use apple or plum pellets, I also very thinly slice fresh apples and lay a few slices on top of the pellets to impart additional flavor. But with the softer milder cheeses like Brie, Roquefort, and Canaregal I prefer to use a alder pellets to produce a very mild smoke to lightly compliment the delicate flavors of these cheeses.

food4thot
12-12-2015, 01:56 AM
Weird that cold smoked cheese and fish are great, but they don't go together

mwild103
12-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Did you get your cheese at Swans?

No I actually went to the Amish Cheese House in Chouteau, ok. But I should have just gone to swans cause the cheese houses selection wasn't what I had expected.

Okie Sawbones
12-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Which AMS do y'all like best, the tube or the 5x8 tray?

IamMadMan
12-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Which AMS do y'all like best, the tube or the 5x8 tray?

I use the 5 X 8, it fits in all of my equipment. I even use it in the grill for a wider area when cold smoking my spices and salt.

mwild103
12-12-2015, 10:39 AM
I only have the 5x8 tray so I can't compare the 2. The tray has worked good for me I've only used it to cold smoke so I have had any issue keeping it burning like I've read some guys do.