PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Today! Learned something new!!

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Hey everyone. I've had the off set smoker rolling since 7 a.m. Wasn't gonna post the cook but the things I've learned is worth sharing! This brisket was a 15lber! Biggest brisket I've cooked yet! Rubbed it down good with Oak Ridge Comp Beef and Pork. Man does it smell good!

Last cook I decided to buy an oven thermometer! I was a guy that was against the gadgets and what not! It was then I realized having a grate thermometer is the greatest thing in the world!!!!!! It helped Manage a good clean burning fire! Before I always had trouble late into the cook keeping a good fire. It also helped cutting my splits down in half. Gonna be good! http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0684_zpstgwx4c4s.jpg

Bludawg
12-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Best 5 bucs ya ever spent,

JohnnyB
12-11-2015, 09:13 AM
275*?! You're gonna RUIN it!

Just kidding. Looking at that point in the back, it's almost like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, idnt it?

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 09:27 AM
275*?! You're gonna RUIN it!

Just kidding. Looking at that point in the back, it's almost like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, idnt it?

I'm telling ya what, This is the best looking brisket I've cooked yet. Funny thing is I don't know the grade of it. I know it was graded but it wasn't stamped on the package.

Oh btw 275? psh!!! I'm cookin at 300!!!!!

Best 5 bucs ya ever spentAMEN to that brother!

Doog
12-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Gonna throw a couple flats on tomorrow myself.
Good Luck!!

KevinJ
12-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Good looking piece of meat looking forward to seeing the end results.

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 10:57 AM
So is this close to the point where people start considering wrapping? How much further do you guys go from this color? Just curious! Still kicking along, 4 hours in temp range 250-300 at the grate. Looking good,:thumb: Took a slight piece from the bark forming, the Oak Ridge Comp Beef and Pork has a nice flavor, nice little kick to it as well.

Considering letting this cook naked, Don't have butcher paper, and found out I had no foil :thumb:http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0685_zpsfhvjcdkc.jpg

Ron_L
12-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Nice brisket! I prefer packers that are at least 15 lbs. I find that they come out better for me.

As far as color, see the darker area above the point? That's pretty close ot the color of my briskets when I wrap.

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Nice brisket! I prefer packers that are at least 15 lbs. I find that they come out better for me.

As far as color, see the darker area above the point? That's pretty close ot the color of my briskets when I wrap.

Ah I see. got a ways to go then :thumb:

BigBellyBBQ
12-11-2015, 11:17 AM
just a guess, but I would say internal in that picture is about 155 to 160. On briskets I wrap internal is around 170 /175 however my best brisket were not wraped

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 11:52 AM
just a guess, but I would say internal in that picture is about 155 to 160. On briskets I wrap internal is around 170 /175 however my best brisket were not wraped

Couldn't tell ya what the internal temp was. My thermopop will not be here til tomorrow! Just gonna use a shiskabob stick and probe it later on

MisterChrister
12-11-2015, 11:54 AM
.......Considering letting this cook naked, Don't have butcher paper, and found out I had no foil :thumb:http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0685_zpsfhvjcdkc.jpg

Looks great! You can use a brown paper grocery sack too....

pjtexas1
12-11-2015, 11:54 AM
If you have a little foil you could cover the pointy edges to keep them from burning up. Looks like this one is going to be good.

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 12:02 PM
If you have a little foil you could cover the pointy edges to keep them from burning up. Looks like this one is going to be good.

I don't mind the pointy edges cooking up to much really! I'm gonna wrap it eventually found some foil. but at this moment its fine! I"m signing out til its done! Cya guys this evening. Gonna prep the chicken and potato's

yakdung
12-11-2015, 12:15 PM
I always monitor grate temp. I learned early on, the therm on the lid of my WSM should be ignored. The only difference, I use a cheaper version from ThermoWorks like the one in the link they no longer sell.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 01:09 PM
So can someone tell me if this chicken looks alright? Honestly you can't see it in the picture. the picture looks great, but no matter what when I cook chicken it seems to have a very thin black film sorta thing that can be wiped off. Is this normal? Because I always thought it wasn't normal, but I've had a good clean burning fire, TBS or hardly any smoke coming out of the exhaust. Just makes me paranoid every freakin time I cook chicken ha ha. Honestly just reminds me of my thermometer how it gets smokey I guess! I gotta stop being so freakin paranoid! http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0686_zps4jojukdf.jpg

haunas
12-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Does your rub have sugar or a sugar based product in it?

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Does your rub have sugar or a sugar based product in it?

talking about the chicken? It's yardbird, I assume it would have sugar to it! I'm not talking about the rub turning dark tho, I'm talking about this being on the bare skin of the chicken I guess. You can see what I'm talking about more on the inside of the right wing. I'm sure its completely normal. I just freak out over things and this was one thing I hated seeing on the chicken.

Fwismoker
12-11-2015, 01:29 PM
That bird looks fine to me. Is that one of the ones that has that black film you're talking about?

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 01:36 PM
That bird looks fine to me. Is that one of the ones that has that black film you're talking about?

Yeah! It's weird, It just wipes off the chicken, like it wasn't suppose to be there. Like i said above I think its because the chicken skin is white, and its the same thing that happens to the oven thermometer. which is obviously normal! anyways. I'll be back later with finished pics :thumb:

Edit: So Took another picture, The chicken looks like the best chicken I've ever cooked! It has to be the rub, or something I dunno! I'll stop being paranoid now!

THoey1963
12-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Might just be a little ash from the draw of the ventilation. Great looking bird to me...

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Might just be a little ash from the draw of the ventilation. Great looking bird to me...

Maybe, After doing some thinking and inspecting, I think I know exactly what it is. its the rub! Its part of the rub that turns to sauce/juice when you rub it onto the meat. That isn't the rub flakes! Ha-ha! If that's the case I can't believe Its had me this paranoid since I started smoking! I'm still learning things, Take it easy on me :thumb:

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Chicken is done, Brisket is wrapped and in the oven. Its starting to prob tender in spots, but not the sweet spot. I say I'll have this brisket finished in under 10 hours :thumb: And for the record I have no idea what happened to the end of that brisket!!!!! :roll::wink:http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0688_zps9ucf9ems.jpg

pjtexas1
12-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Chicken is done, Brisket is wrapped and in the oven. Its starting to prob tender in spots, but not the sweet spot. I say I'll have this brisket finished in under 10 hours :thumb: And for the record I have no idea what happened to the end of that brisket!!!!!

I trim those off before cooking and throw them on the grate. Then it's not so obvious. They cook really quick and make a good snack and indicator of how the brisket will taste. That way if your new rub sucks You can thaw out something that cooks quickly and save the cook.

dtyates
12-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Are you cooking on a stick burner? That black residue could be creosote?

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Are you cooking on a stick burner? That black residue could be creosote?

yeah cooking on a stick burner! but also had a good clean fire all the way through. I'm voting for what I described earlier, Its the meat juices and rub mixed together, and the sugar in that blend is wanting to cook/burn which in return Leaves the easy to wipe off residue! If it was creosote I would assume it would give off a bad flavor. Everyone ate it, skin and all and it was tasty! Which in return I get the same thing cooking chicken on the WSM. Just not so use to it, but I'm getting there.

Fwismoker
12-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Are you cooking on a stick burner? That black residue could be creosote? There's some truth to that. I'm not saying the black he got is creosote but many don't realize creosote is in all bbq smoke no matter how thin blue or invisible of what is coming out the exhaust. Creosote is part of the great taste we experience with Q and it's only when it's out of balance is when it's not good.

Bottom line creosote gets a bad rap and it gets taken out of context all the time...even from the "experts" out there.

Also soot and creosote often get confused, soot is more likely to be on the meat than creosote. Soot is powdery and can be wiped off, creosote is black tar like and sticky.

COS
12-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Fwismoker, interesting point.
The same thing happened to me once cooking a pork butt. Went to pull the meat off and was left a black residue on my finger tips. My smoke was the same as yours thin blue or invisible. Everybody liked it and ate it up. I think it might have been the size of the fire so I cut my splits down smaller. It seems to have worked so far.

Good looking brisket and chicken.

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 04:23 PM
There's some truth to that. I'm not saying the black he got is creosote but many don't realize creosote is in all bbq smoke no matter how thin blue or invisible of what is coming out the exhaust. Creosote is part of the great taste we experience with Q and it's only when it's out of balance is when it's not good.

Bottom line creosote gets a bad rap and it gets taken out of context all the time...even from the "experts" out there.

Also soot and creosote often get confused, soot is more likely to be on the meat than creosote. Soot is powdery and can be wiped off, creosote is black tar like and sticky.

Good points. I am 100% sure its normal. whatever the case may be. Gettin ready to pull the brisket I think. It's at the point where its ALMOST probing tender. not quite there yet

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Here ya guys go! Final pics before slicing. Didn't take pics of the chicken sliced up. It was gone before I even got a chance to! Love that yardbird rub and chicken! http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0690_zpsxky3xe6j.jpg

Here's the end of the point. I cut off the burnt end of it and ate it! Man I found my new favorite beef rub! Haven't tried it until now that Oak Ridge Competition Beef and Pork is amazing on this brisket! It probed tender enough for me! I'll throw in a slice pic in a bit after it rests! http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0689_zpshkwxkcgb.jpg

Here's pics with the slice and the point! http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0693_zpsqux0m2gc.jpghttp://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0692_zpsiviyojdz.jpg

Also, Can someone tell me if my pictures are to big for the forum! No one has complained yet, But I also use my computer on a giant TV! I just wanna make sure its not to large for normal users!

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm not so worried about the chicken situation, I'm sure that's all normal! I'm glad I purchased a Oven thermometer, Best 5 bucks I've spent for a while! BTW I put the brisket in the oven at 300! Total cook time was 10 hrs? 2 1/2 -3 hrs in the oven. I personally say It could of cooked a little longer, But its fine for the family!

Okie Sawbones
12-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Okay, I officially hate you now. :wink: Good looking meat, man!

cheez59
12-11-2015, 06:31 PM
That there is a dang pretty chunk of meat.

Twisted T's Q
12-11-2015, 09:07 PM
great looking meat , btw where u at in west Virginia ?

MisterChrister
12-11-2015, 09:14 PM
.....Also, Can someone tell me if my pictures are to big for the forum! No one has complained yet, But I also use my computer on a giant TV! I just wanna make sure its not too large for normal users......

No worries, no normal users on this forum! :becky::thumb:

(Pics are fine though)

blazinfire
12-11-2015, 10:59 PM
great looking meat , btw where u at in west Virginia ?

Hey, Sent ya a PM!

No worries, no normal users on this forum! :becky::thumb:

Hey well Looks like this is the perfect crowd for me. I'm far from normal as well :thumb:

COS
12-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Brisket looks good:thumb: Did your brisket have that black residue on it as you said with your chicken?

blazinfire
12-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Brisket looks good:thumb: Did your brisket have that black residue on it as you said with your chicken?

Not that I could tell. Probably because it was red meat vs white skin of the chicken. Probably hard to tell. but both were delicious!!! So I have no regrets or no concern about the residue on the chicken! :thumb: yeah the brisket was pretty darn good! Best one yet for me! Love that Oak Ridge Beef and Pork comp rub!

pal156
12-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Nice looking meat