PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Seal?

Buckeye79
12-11-2015, 06:10 AM
So the vacuum seal crowd has inspired me to get one. Now that I have one, it is time to put it to good use.

My FIL loves coming over because I cook meat. My MIL does all of their shopping and she is dangerously close to being a vegetarian. So he always enjoys whatever I am cooking. He does have a little weber q and knows how to use it (MIL loves a veggie burger).

So I want to use my sealer and package up some single serve meats he can throw on with her veggie burger. My Christmas present to him.

Since I have an extensive collection of rubs and seasonings, I am thinking about seasoning each item for him before I seal and freeze them. Any reason I shouldn't preseason chicken, pork, steaks, etc. before I package and freeze them for him?

Thanks in advance!

va_connoisseur
12-11-2015, 08:05 AM
I always season my fish and pork chops before throwing them in the sealer. Thaw and onto the grill or smoker with no ill effects.

code3rrt
12-11-2015, 08:45 AM
I would think it would work fine. If you have any doubts, experiment a little first on yourself and see if the finished product comes out the way you think it should.
I vacuum seal a bunch of different stuff into "freezer meals" for work, and /or quick meals at home, and for the most part the meals turn out pretty good. I've learned(ing) by trial and error what freezes well, and what I don't think freezes well for my tastes.

I think you are talking more about just raw seasoned meats? I think that should work great.

And by the way, nice of you to think of your FIL!

KC

Doug Crann
12-11-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't like seasoning stuff prior to freezing.. but this probably doesn't come into play with your Pop-n-law. In our case we never know what a package of ground meat will be used for. When wife makes chorizo she uses a few different pepper seasonings...would be much fun to have her try to make chorizo out of meat that I threw in a butt load of paprika...

rickv14623
12-11-2015, 11:19 AM
My FIL loves coming over because I cook meat. My MIL does all of their shopping and she is dangerously close to being a vegetarian.

THIS is the quote of the week

Buckeye79
12-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I would think it would work fine. If you have any doubts, experiment a little first on yourself and see if the finished product comes out the way you think it should.
I vacuum seal a bunch of different stuff into "freezer meals" for work, and /or quick meals at home, and for the most part the meals turn out pretty good. I've learned(ing) by trial and error what freezes well, and what I don't think freezes well for my tastes.

I think you are talking more about just raw seasoned meats? I think that should work great.

And by the way, nice of you to think of your FIL!

KC

Yes, I was referring to raw meats. I figure if I pre-season it for him, I can help him move it from good to great!

THoey1963
12-11-2015, 01:58 PM
I preseason and then seal and freeze beef cuts. Might be a concern with pork turning hammy if too much salt?

retired trucker
12-11-2015, 03:21 PM
One added tip for sealing pre seasoned meats, etc. After placing them into the bags, and before sealing, wipe clean and dry the area that will be the seal part of the bags. I use a clean paper towel for this purpose, and make sure it is clean and dry on both sides of the inner bag all the way across. This gives me a clean seal that won't leak. Then on some things, I double seal for my own peace of mind. Great idea for your FIL and nice of you to think of him this way.

Omar

IamMadMan
12-11-2015, 04:21 PM
No reason why you can't preseason.

You can also seal individual serving sizes of your leftover cooked BBQ. After sealing them, mark them with contents and date, then freeze. All he has to do is bring a small pot of water to a boil, turn off the flame and drop the pag into the water for 10-15 minutes and it will be ready to eat. Remember you only have to warm it, not cook it, as it was fully cooked the first time.