PDA

View Full Version : Need help -- have any of you installed an adjustable propane regulator...

Okie Sawbones
12-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Have you installed an adjustable propane regulator as a means to lower temperature in a propane smoker like Weston?

I bought a 36" Weston propane smoker purely for smoking my sausages. When I burned it in today, the highest temperature was 250, but the lowest was 190, which is too hot for what I need. I need 160-165 degrees. I thought an adjustable regulator might help me lower the fire down. Or am I barking up a tree.

Thanks for any help.

ebijack
12-11-2015, 03:42 AM
I used to do that 20 some years ago, even on gas grills to be able to smoke lower than any normal grill will burn. I learned if from a good friend who still does it on his gas smoker and grill. Just know, if there is more than a 10 MPH wind and the unit is not protected it can/will blow the flame out. That was the only problem I had. I still have an adjustable regulator some where. Some gas units have a safety check valve, you will have to replace/remove that part. I'm sure no one recommends doing it. So at your own risk. :shock:

Smoke Dawg
12-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Yes I have an old Brinkman (ECB) that I could not get a low enough temp so I added a regulator and valve ahead of the smoker controls.

It has worked fine for me but I rarely use it. I use an A-Maze-N smoker in it mostly for cheese or oysters lately but have added a little heat if it is real cold to get better smoke penetration in the cheese and heat for oysters.

IamMadMan
12-11-2015, 06:05 AM
I have never installed one because I was under the impression that it needed to be used in conjunction with a high-pressure burner. Many years ago I partially closed the propane bottle valve enough to see the flame go halfway in height and left the door partially open to diminish the heat when making jerky.

I do agree that an A-Maze-N Pellet smoker would be more suited for cold smoking applications.

captndan
12-11-2015, 06:30 AM
You want to regulate the volumn of propane not the pressure. So, put a small valve made just for that purpose in the line at the regulator instead of replaceing the regulator.

bgw99
12-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Have one on my Blackstone grill and Blackstone flat top. They work fine to raise or lower flame, you do have to readjust when lighting most of the time

ButtBurner
12-11-2015, 10:40 AM
You want to regulate the volumn of propane not the pressure. So, put a small valve made just for that purpose in the line at the regulator instead of replaceing the regulator.

I did this by using a needle valve and a cheap cast iron one burner camp stove from Harbor Freight

It worked fine but you have to be careful if the flame blows out, there is no thermocouple to shut off the gas if the flame goes out burning so low

burned my eyebrows about off once LOL

ah my younger days....

quamdar
12-11-2015, 10:43 AM
My dad used to have a POS propane grill that would get SUPER hot and when I cooked on it I would just open the tank halfway. Probably not the safest thing and I definitely wouldn't do it on a smoker where it could blow out and be unsupervised for long periods of time leaking gas.

Sammy_Shuford
12-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Gas hot water heaters, flame sensor for safety, turn on and off gas to regulate temp.

Pid controller could dial one in.

Happy Hapgood
12-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Check with the manufacturer to see if they have a smaller burner orifice. You may be able to replace just the orifice but may have to replace the orifice built into the burner. They are also called High Altitude kits by some manufactures.

Good luck!

Okie Sawbones
12-11-2015, 05:57 PM

This is how I'm going. I ordered an inline needle valve today -- can't find any out here in the sticks. I tried cutting down the propane tank -- no change. I can't get the smoker below 185. I talked to the guy from Potts Gas, who just happened to stop by today to fill our home tank. He thought the needle valve was the best route.

Thanks all.

Mckenna59
12-13-2015, 09:32 AM
I have two adjustable regulators with the needle valves & they work great. I use the "high pressure' one on my turkey fryer if I'm boiling potatoes, or turkey frying. I use the low pressure one on the same if I'm pan frying chicken on it. I also use the low pressure one on a 22" Weber kettle with a Cajun Stacker I converted to a smoker. They adjust down fine, but as someone else said, the flame can blow out if it's real windy if you have it turned down low.

jpbsarris
12-13-2015, 03:15 PM
A needle valve is the way to go but as others have stated be VERY careful to not let the flame blow out at the lower flow unless you use some type of safety flame sensor!

Tim1
12-13-2015, 11:00 PM
You may get some yellow in the flame. If so, check if there is an air mixer on end of burner where orifice goes in.

Okie Sawbones
12-15-2015, 05:09 PM
And the final result, thanks to all of your help:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/Randybuckner/zz_zpsrdrbcgbm.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/Randybuckner/z_zpslsvg2kp3.jpg

A big thank you for the help. :becky: