PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Salmon Time

PNW Smoker
12-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Each winter I'm able to use the cold weather to keep my Traeger cold enough to smoke salmon

A little brine spa
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d7f0/2fayqjy9yuzek8h6g.jpg

Into the cooker
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0f07/sxluxt0fmaq06a86g.jpg

Six hours, or so, later, some killer smoked sockeye
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/795b/vvlupms3swy82ir6g.jpg

The final step was to vacuum seal it all. I saved some for us, but most of it went into Christmas gifts which contained the salmon, homemade apple butter, and homemade peppermint bark.

The fish of course was awesome.

cowgirl
12-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Smoked salmon is a favorite of mine. Yours looks delicious!

Budman1
12-10-2015, 10:04 PM
My mouth is watering. How do I get on that Christmas list?

SoHappy
12-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Have never smoked salmon but love it and I must say, this looks great. Nice job.

brimclau
12-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Well done!! I may have to break out my Traeger and toss in some salmon. that poor thing has been neglected since I got my new toy.

SmokerKing
12-11-2015, 07:57 AM
me likes smoked salmon!

PNW Smoker
12-11-2015, 08:32 AM
thanks guys.

Well done!! I may have to break out my Traeger and toss in some salmon. that poor thing has been neglected since I got my new toy.
The trick is keeping the temp down. I don't have the cold smoke attachment. If it is 45* outside, I can run it on smoke setting and the temp stays right in the 100* to 115* range. I do that for four hours then kick it up to 180 until the fish hits 160.

speed2486
12-11-2015, 08:48 AM
That looks outstanding! Care to share your brine recipe and soak time?

SmokerKing
12-11-2015, 08:48 AM
This place had the best smoked Salmon, Cod and Oysters I have ever had. RIP Karla.

Remembering Karla - YouTube

daninnewjersey
12-11-2015, 09:59 AM
This place had the best smoked Salmon, Cod and Oysters I have ever had. RIP Karla.

Remembering Karla - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jbiPX2c1mQo)

I was lucky enough to get her book...and have her sign it....before she passed. Never made it to her place but the people I know that did said it was one of a kind....so was she.....

SmokerKing
12-11-2015, 10:05 AM
I was lucky enough to get her book...and have her sign it....before she passed. Never made it to her place but the people I know that did said it was one of a kind....so was she.....

She was a character. I had been stopping by her place for over 20 years when we vacation in OR. She was talking about writing a book back in the late 80's when I'd stop in.

I would call her and order up smoked oysters and salmon for New Years party's and she remembered each time.

Dedicated to her fish and smoking. Bought her book several years back from her store. Looking for my book now. :thumb:

PNW Smoker
12-11-2015, 01:14 PM
That looks outstanding! Care to share your brine recipe and soak time?

1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup non-iodiozed salt (sea salt best)
3 cups water
Lemon juice (I just throw a few splashes in)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I usually don't measure this, just a handful of dashes into the mix)

let soak minimum of six hours, rinse and pat dry. Since it floats, I put meat side down. Let air dry at least an hour. Humidity during winter here in the PNW is really high, so I help the drying out using a hair dryer on cool

Like I noted above, using my Traegar, I "smoke" it for four hours (temp range - 100* to 115), then I turn it up to 180 and let it run until the fish hits 160. Obviously each cooker will be different, but the key is to not cook it too fast. It will cook and be fine, but it won't have that dry flaky texture you are looking for (well, that I'm looking for). It will just be a cooked piece of fish with a nice smoke flavor.
I watch the temp on the small pieces as they will be ready sooner. Usually a few more hours after turning up it will all be ready.

I've been eating store bought smoked salmon all my life and I'm quite pleased with what I've come up with here. Everyone I give it to has positive feedback for me. You get a nice combination of of sweet, salt, smoke, and fish.

speed2486
12-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your recipe. Now I need to seek out some nice filets! This will be perfect to finish up the smoked meat/cheese/sauce/nuts gift baskets for this year!

SmokerKing
12-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks OP, this has inspired me to smoke some Salmon in my Red Box over the Holidays!

Happy Hapgood
12-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Great looking smoked fish!

PNW Smoker
12-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Thanks for sharing your recipe. Now I need to seek out some nice filets! This will be perfect to finish up the smoked meat/cheese/sauce/nuts gift baskets for this year!

yeah, that would be perfect. I'll be working on figuring out how to channel my smoke through a cold chamber so I can do Cheese.

Could you point me in the direction for treating the cheese properly to get a good flavor? It seems I read somewhere it should be vacuumed then allowed to sit for a period of time, but I can't find that resource.

speed2486
12-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Sorry for the delayed response - didn't mean to leave you hanging, but I had a knock down, drag out with the flu for a couple of days.

Anyway.... Cheese is one of the easiest things to do. No special prep needed. I like to start by cutting my cheese into the size chunks I'm going to package in when done. This cuts down on the smoke time as well as makes it look better in my opinion - no 'fresh cut' edges. Let your cheese sit out for an hour or so before smoking. This helps prevent the cheese from sweating. I would suggest using a milder wood for smoking. Apple, cherry or pecan work well for me. Hickory can tend to be strong. Try to keep your smoker under 80 degrees. Higher than that and you run the risk of your cheese starting to sweat. If it does, keep the door open for a bit to cool it down and simply wipe your cheese off with paper towels. If smoking for the first time I would suggest no more than two hours of smoke. Once you get a feel for the flavor after two hours, you could probably go up to four if you are seeking a stronger smoke flavor. Once done, let your cheese rest on a wire rack to come back to room temperature (again, in an effort to prevent sweating.) tightly wrap your cheese and place in ziplock bags. Vacuum dealing is best for this in my opinion. Just be sure the cheese is DRY before packaging it up. Don't forget to label your packages with the type of cheese and the date. (Don't ask me how I know!). Then stick it in the fridge to 'rest' for two to three weeks. Longer is better. This allows the smoke flavor to seem to distribute itself better through the cheese. You may be tempted to try it right away coming off the smoker, but it will likely taste like a dirty ash tray! If you decide to hide it in the back of the refrigerator so as not to be tempted to try it early I would suggest setting a reminder on your calendar so you don't forget about it. Again - don't ask me how I know this! Good luck! Do a bunch of different types. And remember - 'Don't sweat it' (pun intended) - It's just cheese!

Smoking Piney
12-13-2015, 01:59 PM
That salmon looks fantastic!

I LOVE smoked salmon.

Fwismoker
12-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Looks tasty! I fully cure salmon and cold smoke (lox) I'd feel better giving out cured vs non cured.

It's probably safe the way you cooked it to 160* but I'm just extra cautious. You can never go wrong with curing for a few days with something like Mortons sugar cure.

Anyways it looks absolutely delicious.

PNW Smoker
12-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Sorry for the delayed response - didn't mean to leave you hanging, but I had a knock down, drag out with the flu for a couple of days.

Anyway.... Cheese is one of the easiest things to do. No special prep needed. I like to start by cutting my cheese into the size chunks I'm going to package in when done. This cuts down on the smoke time as well as makes it look better in my opinion - no 'fresh cut' edges. Let your cheese sit out for an hour or so before smoking. This helps prevent the cheese from sweating. I would suggest using a milder wood for smoking. Apple, cherry or pecan work well for me. Hickory can tend to be strong. Try to keep your smoker under 80 degrees. Higher than that and you run the risk of your cheese starting to sweat. If it does, keep the door open for a bit to cool it down and simply wipe your cheese off with paper towels. If smoking for the first time I would suggest no more than two hours of smoke. Once you get a feel for the flavor after two hours, you could probably go up to four if you are seeking a stronger smoke flavor. Once done, let your cheese rest on a wire rack to come back to room temperature (again, in an effort to prevent sweating.) tightly wrap your cheese and place in ziplock bags. Vacuum dealing is best for this in my opinion. Just be sure the cheese is DRY before packaging it up. Don't forget to label your packages with the type of cheese and the date. (Don't ask me how I know!). Then stick it in the fridge to 'rest' for two to three weeks. Longer is better. This allows the smoke flavor to seem to distribute itself better through the cheese. You may be tempted to try it right away coming off the smoker, but it will likely taste like a dirty ash tray! If you decide to hide it in the back of the refrigerator so as not to be tempted to try it early I would suggest setting a reminder on your calendar so you don't forget about it. Again - don't ask me how I know this! Good luck! Do a bunch of different types. And remember - 'Don't sweat it' (pun intended) - It's just cheese!

Thanks for these notes, I really appreciate it. I'm going to pick up one of the maze things to put in my Weber, so I'll be eating some cheese in a few weeks :D

Big George's BBQ
12-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Very Nice I love that stuff