PDA

View Full Version : chicken help

low&slowsmoke
12-09-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm going to be smoking 2 chickens . I will be spatchcocking . I was wandering if anyone ever done this skinless I will be smoking 225 250 . I usually throw the skin out anyway . I'm thinking lt will keep more rub and smoke .my only concern is it might get too dry or to smokey thanks in advance

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Nah the skin doesn't hold the juices in anyways...no bearing on juiciness. If you cook your bird @ 225-250* and I cooked one 350* I'd bet you the 350* would be juicier.

bbqlearner
12-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Depends on what cooker you're using. I'm used to 300F direct fire but with a raised grid on the BGE. I usually brine the chicken so dont have to worry about it being dry. Have fun trying!

blazinfire
12-09-2015, 10:38 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a skinless spatchcocked chicken! Don't think removing the skin would be a problem with drying the meat out, Might take on to much smoke? I would assume since chicken can take in a lot of smoke in a short period that the skin helps that from happening. I could be wrong, I'm not very experienced Only started getting into this stuff recently!

krex1010
12-09-2015, 11:20 PM
I would leave the skin on and just work some rub under it, the skin seperates really easily, I'll mix some rub into some soft butter and let it cool in the fridge, then work chunks of the rub butter under the skin. You can get it between the breast, thigh and drumstick and the skin pretty easily. I do believe he skin helps keep it from drying out, especially the breast.

BBQ Freak
12-09-2015, 11:29 PM
I just love the bark I get with the rub and the skin , if people do not like it just peal it off .

Bludawg
12-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Cooking chicken that low is what I call Goodyear or Frestone chicken the skin is like chawin an old tire. Cook hotter 325+ to get nice bite through skin. Cooking skinless at low temp will dry out the outer part to a jerky like texture. Chicken aint hard to do well don't be afraid of heat.

pjtexas1
12-09-2015, 11:35 PM
I would leave the skin on and just work some rub under it, the skin seperates really easily, I'll mix some rub into some soft butter and let it cool in the fridge, then work chunks of the rub butter under the skin. You can get it between the breast, thigh and drumstick and the skin pretty easily. I do believe he skin helps keep it from drying out, especially the breast.

I just love the bark I get with the rub and the skin , if people do not like it just peal it off .

I'm with these guys. Put rub under the skin for those that don't like the skin. The skin is my favorite part.

CakeM1x
12-10-2015, 12:34 AM
I'm with these guys. Put rub under the skin for those that don't like the skin. The skin is my favorite part.

This. If you don't want the skin separate it from the meat and season underneath. Peel it off after if you don't want it.

krex1010
12-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Cooking chicken that low is what I call Goodyear or Frestone chicken the skin is like chawin an old tire. Cook hotter 325+ to get nice bite through skin. Cooking skinless at low temp will dry out the outer part to a jerky like texture. Chicken aint hard to do well don't be afraid of heat.

This also^ every word of it