PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Shirley to New Jersey

DanB
12-09-2015, 04:12 PM
HI All Just got 2 quotes from U-Ship for shipping a Shirley 24 x 36 patio smoker.
Both quotes were more then the cost of the smoker.:shocked:
One of the shippers was right in Tuscaloosa Al.
- Insurance
- Shipping
- Packing/Crating
Services Quote

Quote ID: BHM-3844
Quoted Price: $1,300.44

So anyone have any idea's/thoughts on getting this smoker up to New Jersey. A road trip is out of the question.I haven't ordered the smoker yet. With shipping being that high, I just might have to look at other opitions, Lang/Yoder
Thanks DanB

Thatgrimguy
12-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Patio smokers just aren't easy to ship. I can't think of any easy way to get a smoker of that weight and size to you. It's why many suggest finding a builder in your area. I'm a HUGE shirley fan and i have one on order. But for your situations I would look into other options.

Shagdog
12-09-2015, 04:23 PM
There's something with shipping to Jersey that is an issue. There have been a couple threads on this before.. If you were shipping to Virginia, the shipping cost would be half or less.. There's a thread or 2 out there on this very topic.. in the end we discovered it was Jersey that was the problem.. for whatever reason. I'll try to find the threads..

Honestly, with gas as low as it is, renting a trailer and a truck and driving it up wouldn't cost ya more than $2-300.

EDIT - Here it is..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204201

Hog1990
12-09-2015, 04:24 PM
What build are you getting that's less than $1,300?

DanB
12-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Hi I only found one local to build a smoker for me, his reply was it would cost more if he built it.
I started looking at a Lang 36 Patio smoker, but shipping was $500, I thought that was crazy, shipping costing 1/2 of the smoker price. I also looked into a Yoder Cheyenne, shipping wasn't too bad, but fell for the Shirley after reading all about them on this forum.
Thanks DanB

DanB
12-09-2015, 04:31 PM
What build are you getting that's less than $1,300?

Hi It is a 24 x 36 smoker, similar to the Lang 36 Patio smoker.
Shagdog I've read that thread,that guy is very close to me, I have to contact him and see who he used.
DanB

Thatgrimguy
12-09-2015, 05:48 PM
You may be able to get a trailer smoker for similar money at that point and that would probably be cheaper to ship

DanB
12-09-2015, 05:57 PM
You may be able to get a trailer smoker for similar money at that point and that would probably be cheaper to ship

Hi Really don't need anything bigger. Why would a trailer smoker be cheaper to ship?
Thanks DanB

IamMadMan
12-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Find a friend with a pick-up or Rent a small U-haul and make a road trip...

Thatgrimguy
12-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Hi Really don't need anything bigger. Why would a trailer smoker be cheaper to ship?
Thanks DanB

No packing fees, no crating. You just find some redneck with a truck and insurance and they tow it up.

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Have it shipped to a brethren in a nearby State then drive down and pick it up with a truck?

grillinguy247
12-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Could you get it shipped somewhere close to your area and meet them part of the way. Make them ship by appointment only so they have to call ahead. Just a suggestion.

Mattb82
12-09-2015, 06:59 PM
I'm in jersey as well and have a Shirley coming in January. I'm using points to fly Down, cover a hotel halfway back, and points for a uhaul. Only cost will be gas and two vacation days. Without points its $250 for the rental uhaul. I would recommend picking an airline credit card with a strong point signup bonus spend the alotted minimum to get the bonus. redeem them to cover the flight and just drive back. Just make sure to find a card without a high spending minimum to get the bonus

smokerpa
12-09-2015, 08:34 PM
I live down 78 in PA. If I could help you out, I would. I already have a Shirley, so at least you know I will not steal it. HAHA.

pga7602
12-09-2015, 08:52 PM
When I was deciding between smokers, including the ones you mentioned I priced them out smoker + shipping. Nothing came even close to Lang. In fact a well known builder in my own state couldn't beat that criteria, so it was a no brainer. No regrets from me so far.

KevinJ
12-09-2015, 08:53 PM
I live down 78 in PA. If I could help you out, I would. I already have a Shirley, so at least you know I will not steal it. HAHA. Lol :rofl::rofl:

Seefyre
12-09-2015, 11:59 PM
I used FreightCenter.com. I shipped a 24X50 Shirley to Portland, Oregon for a couple hundred less than that.

My unit was a wagon model and highly mobile so I was able to bypass crating. They wheeled it into the truck, strapped it in and drove it 2600 miles. Lift gate service on my end sealed the deal. Make sure you insure it well and agree to a slower delivery time, that should help.
Good Luck

jefferson10940
12-10-2015, 07:05 AM
I guess you could fly to alabama, rent a truck and make the 15 hr drive. That was my plan if I won the contest for the kids last week! I am in NY, shipping is no bueno.

Burnt to a T
12-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Isn't this a dilemma for many people?

The other issue is what happens if something goes wrong with the smoker after you buy it down the road.

I'm in the same boat, and I understand I will have shipping, but my concern is what happens if something goes wrong, and I have to pay shipping again.

Some are FOB for warranty if I'm not mistaken. You are on your own once you sign off as good when it arrives. After that point you are on your own. Is this correct?

I know many builders will stand behind their work, but will they pick up shipping charges? If not that could be very costly.

Another point some have made is Fab shops local may cost more then proven builders. In the end you may just have to go a route that is your 2nd or 3rd option, and that sucks when you are spending multiple thousands of dollars.

PatAttack
12-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Isn't this a dilemma for many people?

The other issue is what happens if something goes wrong with the smoker after you buy it down the road.

I'm in the same boat, and I understand I will have shipping, but my concern is what happens if something goes wrong, and I have to pay shipping again.

Some are FOB for warranty if I'm not mistaken. You are on your own once you sign off as good when it arrives. After that point you are on your own. Is this correct?

I know many builders will stand behind their work, but will they pick up shipping charges? If not that could be very costly.

Another point some have made is Fab shops local may cost more then proven builders. In the end you may just have to go a route that is your 2nd or 3rd option, and that sucks when you are spending multiple thousands of dollars.

What's with all the pessimism all of the time? ie: your "fanboy" thread applies...

Fwismoker
12-10-2015, 11:24 AM
I'd definitely look at the ship to Pennsylvania and then drive down and pick it up idea.

Burnt to a T
12-10-2015, 11:27 AM
What's with all the pessimism all of the time? ie: your "fanboy" thread applies...

No its actually part of having to deal with wanting a smoker, and not having anything close. IE get a life..

PatAttack
12-10-2015, 11:30 AM
No its actually part of having to deal with wanting a smoker, and not having anything close. IE get a life..

Well, Merry Christmas to you too...:drama:

Burnt to a T
12-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Well, Merry Christmas to you too...:drama:

What do you expect when you are being a Farker to someone?:crazy:

PatAttack
12-10-2015, 11:42 AM
What do you expect when you are being a Farker to someone?:crazy:

Seems as though we got off on the wrong foot. I just tend to be an optimist and look at the brighter side of things.:thumb:

And yes, I'm a certified Farker, Whack-A-Doodle and Woodpile Ho.:becky:

Burnt to a T
12-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Seems as though we got off on the wrong foot. I just tend to be an optimist and look at the brighter side of things.:thumb:

And yes, I'm a certified Farker, Whack-A-Doodle and Woodpile Ho.:becky:

Its just part of shipping you may not have to worry about that end? So many of us do. Its part of a thought process some are faced with. If you have to give up $300 to $1300 for shipping you will see where the OP, and I stand. You have to think about issues others may not have to worry about.

Its all good. I just didn't get why you came after me.

It was just an honest post from my end that many have to deal with. It sucks when you want something but get hit in the face with reality or a huge road block to achieving it.

Looks like your from a hot bed area so you can get pretty much what you want. I live in no mans land.

PatAttack
12-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Its just part of shipping you may not have to worry about that end? So many of us do. Its part of a thought process some are faced with. If you have to give up $300 to $1300 for shipping you will see where the OP, and I stand. You have to think about issues others may not have to worry about.

Its all good. I just didn't get why you came after me.

It was just an honest post from my end that many have to deal with. It sucks when you want something but get hit in the face with reality or a huge road block to achieving it.

Looks like your from a hot bed area so you can get pretty much what you want. I live in no mans land.

Nothing personal. It's just the Farker in me.:loco:

I will be making the drive to see the Shirley's in late March to pick up my new Shirley I won!:becky:

Burnt to a T
12-10-2015, 11:59 AM

I will be making the drive to see the Shirley's in late March to pick up my new Shirley I won!:becky:

I would make the trip from Iowa as well if I won one :thumb: I just talked to Tyler, and they will be making verticals in 16 so I have to see what that is about.

I may have a Shirley as well just depends on the build they put out. Not the quality the actual footprint. They aren't sure if they will do insulated or not. Sounds like a reverse flow.

Sorry to the OP for the Hijack.

landarc
12-10-2015, 12:17 PM

You won the Shirley? Nice man, I am glad you got it. Congratulations! :clap2:

Doug Crann
12-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Buddy had a 528" HEMI shipped from PA to AZ....crated weight was right at 750 pounds.....under $300 using FedEx freight

daninnewjersey
12-10-2015, 02:51 PM
For $1000.00 I'll drive down, get it, come back....and you meet me at exit 36 for transfer :biggrin1::biggrin1:

BBQ_MAFIA
12-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Dan, why don't you look at a Meadowcreek. They are located in the Lancaster PA area.
This is about as close as you can get.

ssv3
12-10-2015, 05:27 PM
People get smokers shipped all day without issues among other things. Mine was shipped from LSG to my door flawless and I've seen a Shirley come out to Cali flawlessly also. It's all in packing/crating. No need to overthink or worry as you can't really ruin a big hunk of steel and if somehow something happens there is always insurance. Now if you screw things up at your end after delivery then it's your a$$. :becky:

In this case it's shipping to NY/NJ that is or has been the issue.

Doug Crann
12-10-2015, 10:18 PM
If you really want it you will either pony up the $$ or figure out how to get it..

BBQ Freak
12-10-2015, 10:24 PM
I found a company that will ship mine when done for a fair price but I might haft to wait a few weeks to get it because they try and fill their enclosed trailer up and the other thing they said if there is bad weather going on through the states they travel they will not do it . so one way or another it will be shipped or I will be driving and picking it up like I did before which was a fun trip and got to meet the Shirley family in person .

Burnt to a T
12-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Everyone knows they can be shipped. Everyone knows they are insured to your door.

The OP already stated no trip will happen. Also that he is paying more to ship then to buy the smoker. Not everyone is willing to do that.

I think his best option is to find another smoker that he can get with a fair shipping price.

This is what sucks for many of us that live in places that it cost more to get to us then to initially buy.

In my case I will have to add at least $300- $500 for a vertical smoker. $300 - $500 could buy some nice things to go along with that new smoker. Just think how much $1300 could buy.

I paid double the price to ship a pool table, but it cost me less to go U-Ship then what I could have rented a U-Haul to do it myself. it saved me at least $200.00 I also didn't have to drive or worry about a thing. The difference was I paid less to do it that way then to buy local.

BBQ Freak
12-11-2015, 09:11 AM
You get what you pay for and you get twice the cooker that you could buy from anyone else at half the price. Question to the OP is what is it worth to you ?

Burnt to a T
12-11-2015, 10:51 AM
You get what you pay for and you get twice the cooker that you could buy from anyone else at half the price. Question to the OP is what is it worth to you ?

I think that may be subjective.. I notice if you have it its the best there is? No doubt Shirley Fab is top notch, but many others are as well. Tyler told me they may be doing vert cabinets in 16 so I will see what they have. I don't know if it will even be an option or I will even like the footprint once its built. Saying that I like to keep my options open. I could name 15 to 20 builders of Verticals, and they are all built like tanks, and the best of the best. I think its what you want or think is the best in the end of it all.

AlwaysSmokey
12-11-2015, 11:02 AM
DanB,

Just my .02, but the brethren relay might be a good idea. Or some variant of one, as has been suggested. (i.e. shipping to a brother and having it relayed between brothers to get to you.) Been awhile since I looked at the brethren map, but I think there are plenty of folks along that route. Just a thought...

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how much help you could get from brothers along the route. At any rate, it's worth asking ..... right?

Regards,

Kevin

DanB
12-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Hi All Many thanks for your replies and idea's on the smoker. There is "NOWAY" I'm paying $1,000 to ship a smoker.:crazy: Just got 2 more quotes from U-Ship, both were over 1000.
I got shipping quotes from Lang and Yoder for their Patio smokers, shipping was 500 and less.Just might be the way to go, even if I had my mind set on Shirley.
Thanks Again DanB

PS I did look into Meadow Creek,after adding up the options,they were in same ballpark as Yoder/Lang.

ButtBurner
12-11-2015, 01:44 PM
hey Dan so I guess this means ya got your wood splittin' down pat now LOL

DanB
12-11-2015, 02:21 PM

Hi BB I've just been using 3" x 6" chunks I got from Frutia wood.
Working OK in my COS. Hoping they make still work, in my new smoker, what ever it is and when ever it gets here.
DanB

palmtreefrb
12-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Hi All Many thanks for your replies and idea's on the smoker. There is "NOWAY" I'm paying $1,000 to ship a smoker.:crazy: Just got 2 more quotes from U-Ship, both were over 1000.
I got shipping quotes from Lang and Yoder for their Patio smokers, shipping was 500 and less.Just might be the way to go, even if I had my mind set on Shirley.
Thanks Again DanB

PS I did look into Meadow Creek,after adding up the options,they were in same ballpark as Yoder/Lang.

Wow, that's crazy. It cost me less than that to ship here to California, and that is when gas prices were about $4.00 a gallon about two years ago.

TuscaloosaQ
12-11-2015, 06:49 PM
I would not pay....1000$$ to get it shipped either.. I will say this our 36 inch models are...3/8 thick cook chambers... 24inch diameter......with 2 slide out grates.. Compare them to some other 36 models.. That are 20 inch diameter.. Lot of great builders out there for sure.. You just have to compare apples to apples.... We have a new website that will be launching soon... The webmaster is very proactive... And we needed that... His work is top tier...

Seefyre
12-11-2015, 07:13 PM
For me, paying $1,000 for shipping was sticker shock at first until I checked total mileage-5200. Days away from work and family 4-6. Gas and hotel-$700

Absolute no brainer, not only was it hitting the 'easy" button, but it made the most financial sense.

As I type this response I can lean out my patio window, giggle with joy over seeing my Shirley out there. Yay me :clap2:

DouG M
12-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Maybe some of the cooker builders should look at adding shipping as a side to thier operation. $$$$$ to be made. Get a retireie, layed off worker or friend looking to make some extra cash to deliver thier cookers. Never know two or more companys could work together haul one one way and another back. ON COMES THE LIGHT One of our brothers with some time on thier hands spear head and orginize a deliverery system of cookers as needed for all the cooker manufactures who need thier cookers delivered. just my .02 $

mike-cleveland
12-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Maybe some of the cooker builders should look at adding shipping as a side to thier operation. $$$$$ to be made. Get a retireie, layed off worker or friend looking to make some extra cash to deliver thier cookers. Never know two or more companys could work together haul one one way and another back. ON COMES THE LIGHT One of our brothers with some time on thier hands spear head and orginize a deliverery system of cookers as needed for all the cooker manufactures who need thier cookers delivered. just my .02 $

I have a friend who runs a Christmas shop and rents uhuals and does deliveries to 6 states. Shipping one cooker would not make sense but if people were patient and you could do a quarterly shipment it might work.

pjtexas1
12-11-2015, 11:29 PM
I have a friend who runs a Christmas shop and rents uhuals and does deliveries to 6 states. Shipping one cooker would not make sense but if people were patient and you could do a quarterly shipment it might work.

People are not that patient these days. Already takes 6 months just to build. another couple months would be painful. Although maybe if you know all of this upfront it could work?

Desert Hawg
12-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Contact Old Dominion. Shipped a bunch of furniture from NJ to AZ. They cost ahlf of what other shippers wanted. Uhaul now offers shipping, check them out.

Burnt to a T
12-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Contact Old Dominion. Shipped a bunch of furniture from NJ to AZ. They cost ahlf of what other shippers wanted. Uhaul now offers shipping, check them out.

I don't know about Old Dominion, but U-Haul is just like any other mover cross country or state to state. Very very expensive. He went U-Ship, and that's about the most fair prices you will find IMO. I know when I got quotes for shipping U-Ship was the only one that had viable prices. Not saying others don't, but that is a pretty big network.

I got quotes from other movers that did cross country or state to state, and they where all over 1G to almost 2G just to move from Illinois to Iowa. I paid a bit over $400 via a U-Ship bid. I figured it up, and that was cheaper then I could have rented a U-haul for. I was going to use a PU Truck or a Cube Van. Myself or through U-Haul and I still would have been money ahead going U-Ship.

DanB
12-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Hi All I think I got a shipping quote I can live with.This shipper is going to be in the area that Shirley Fab is in around the 22nd of Feb. Read his reviews all good.
So this maybe is a go. I have to contact Shirley about that time period, shouldn't be a problem.
DanB

MAB52
12-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Alright DanB.

DanB
12-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Hi All I got a stupid question, are probe holes necessary, or can just run my Mavericks probe wires under the hood?
Thanks DanB

Jason TQ
12-15-2015, 07:58 AM
Hi All I got a stupid question, are probe holes necessary, or can just run my Mavericks probe wires under the hood?
Thanks DanB

Not necessary as you could run them under the doors, but they would get pinched a lot by some heavy tight fitting doors. Unless by hood you meant down the exhaust and then you would need some long probes.

AZRaptor
12-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks DanB

I wondered this as well, but ended up adding them after I checked the price of replacement probes.

I've pinched probe wires for some time when cooking on my WSM, but it's lid is light and the tight fit on the cook chamber doors is going to put more stress on those wires doing it that way. Since probe wires aren't usually that long I put one on either side of the main cook chamber and one for the warmer.

In the grand scheme of the price on the cooker, the probe ports weren't much of a price bump.

DanB
12-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Hi I was thinking about running under the doors of the pit.
Thanks DanB

AZRaptor
12-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks DanB

The doors are a REAL tight fit. I'd be worried about probe wire longevity, but nothing should prevent them from working that way.

pjtexas1
12-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks DanB

makes me cringe...i would get the probe ports. those doors are tight. i don't think twice about putting the probes wires in my other cooker doors but they are not as heavy.

ButtBurner
12-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Hi BB I've just been using 3" x 6" chunks I got from Frutia wood.
Working OK in my COS. Hoping they make still work, in my new smoker, what ever it is and when ever it gets here.
DanB

you will be going though a lot more wood on a smoker like that and a ton of money if you go the Fruita wood way

maybe you can find a local supplier that can split it up for you to your specs.

Probably would cost more but still would be tons cheaper

NickTheGreat
12-15-2015, 08:52 AM
So when does it show up? :becky:

smokinit
12-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Seems a bit pricey on the shipping

DanB
12-15-2015, 04:10 PM
So when does it show up? :becky:
It will show up 3rd week in Feb, when my shipper is in the area.

Only opitions so far, 1 probe hole on each side of the cooker.
Any other opitions I should be considering?
Smoker is on the smaller side 24 x 36

Thanks DanB
PS I got a shipping quote I can live with.

pjtexas1
12-15-2015, 04:55 PM

Thanks DanB

Warmer and insulated fb. I have noticed the ones with the insulated fb sell quicker if you ever need to sell it. Glad you got the shipping figured out.

BBQ Freak
12-15-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks DanB

since the cooker is short you get away with one port because you can fit three wires through one and a small shelf on the end to hold your thermometer would be awesome to have .

DanB
12-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Warmer and insulated fb. I have noticed the ones with the insulated fb sell quicker if you ever need to sell it. Glad you got the shipping figured out.

Don't think the Maverick probe wires are long enough for just 1 probe hole.

Hi Any of these would put me over budget.
Thanks DanB

BBQ Freak
12-15-2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks DanB

you can buy 6 foot probe wires for the Mavericks

pjtexas1
12-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Thanks DanB

i like the ss tables but they don't really add any functionality but they sure make cleanup easy and they look sharp. what about an ash pan? all the options that come to my mind are for the trailer model.

DanB
12-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Hi All Here is where I stand on the options.
two Probe holes on the pit cabinet.
two temp guages on the pit door.

DanB

AZRaptor
12-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Buddy had a 528" HEMI shipped from PA to AZ....crated weight was right at 750 pounds.....under $300 using FedEx freight

I checked FedEx when I was getting my Shirley shipped out here to AZ and they were over $1k. I was able to get it delivered to the house for $600 with WESTAM Transport. Top notch shippers.

Hi All Here is where I stand on the options.
two Probe holes on the pit cabinet.
two temp guages on the pit door.

DanB

Being 36" wide you could probably do a single temp gauge on the door, but since they're not that much, why not 2. :biggrin1:

DanB
12-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Hi I got a U-ship quote for 550. The shipper is going to be in Shirley's area 3rd week of Feb.
Yeah 2 probe holes makes sense.
Thanks DanB

DanB
12-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi I got a U-ship quote for 550. The shipper is going to be in Shirley's area 3rd week of Feb.
Yeah 2 probe holes makes sense.
Thanks DanB

Hi All Looks like my quote for 550 is not working out.. Back to square one for me as far shipping goes.
Well at least have some time to figure the shipping out.
DanB

Thatgrimguy
12-29-2015, 10:05 AM
I was about to say.. If you haven't ordered yet you aren't even close to getting it in Feb. There is a 6 month wait going. (I'm in my 6 month now)

Lastrajm
12-29-2015, 01:46 PM
DanB, sorry for not replying earlier. I used an independent shipper I got a contact from. I don't believe I have the info anymore. The Shirley IMO is well worth the price of admission compared to a Lang. The quality is amazing. I believe I paid around 7-800$ for shipping and was super happy with the price. I basically will have the smoker for a good chunk of my life, so the money spent was a moot point. PM me if you have anymore questions. My inbox is clear.

Lastrajm
12-29-2015, 01:50 PM
One last thing, you don't even really need the port holes. Tel tru gauges and a thermapen is all I use. The pit runs itself.

DanB
12-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Hi All Anyone use this shipping Co. for delivery of there Shirley?
JZ Expedited Logistics
If so how did it go?
Lastrajm: ur smoker is much bigger then mine.
Thanks DanB

cjs27410
12-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Averitt Freight might be more competitive than a logistics guy. I ship drill bits all over the country for $90 - $150 for 500 - 1000 lbs. on a pallet. Except for shipments to NY and NJ. Cost is double - I think the unions have something to do with that. Part of your cost is the boxing/pallet expense.
I searched the Shirley website and facebook page and could not find a picture of a 24 x 36 patio.
What do they look like?

DanB
12-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Averitt Freight might be more competitive than a logistics guy. I ship drill bits all over the country for $90 - $150 for 500 - 1000 lbs. on a pallet. Except for shipments to NY and NJ. Cost is double - I think the unions have something to do with that. Part of your cost is the boxing/pallet expense.
I searched the Shirley website and facebook page and could not find a picture of a 24 x 36 patio.
What do they look like?

Hi The JZ Expedited Logistics price wasn't that bad 589.Will give Averitt Freight a look..Thx
My Smoker is a 24 x 36 round type smoker, if u go to Shirley's FB page and scroll down to the date of Oct 14 and look for Mike Fiesta model.
DanB
PS I also had it listed on U Ship, getting quotes for 1,000

Lastrajm
12-31-2015, 07:08 AM
Hi All Anyone use this shipping Co. for delivery of there Shirley?
JZ Expedited Logistics
If so how did it go?
Lastrajm: ur smoker is much bigger then mine.
Thanks DanB

I'd be happy with anything the range of 5-800$ to ship the smoker with a piece of mind. You can also check out lip smackin smokers, they have an outlet in Elizabeth that sell the horizon smokers.

DanB
12-31-2015, 08:09 AM
I'd be happy with anything the range of 5-800$ to ship the smoker with a piece of mind. You can also check out lip smackin smokers, they have an outlet in Elizabeth that sell the horizon smokers.

Hi My order for a Shirley is already in. Shipping with a piece of mind is the big question. Already checked out the Elizabeth site.
Hopefully I won't have to go thru any snow like you did:grin:
Thanks DanB

DanB
12-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Hi All I'm getting some good quotes from Fed Ex LTL. Any body use them?
Question any body know what the term "dry van" means?
Thanks DanB
This shipping thing is a Major PIA:doh:

A Very Happy New Year To ALL!!

DanB
01-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Hi All Does anyone know what shipping class a 400lb smoker on a pallet will be?
Thanks DanB
This shipping thing is a Major PIA:loco:

OSD
01-04-2016, 05:24 PM
24"x 36" patio smoker with a side firebox, handles, legs, wheels, and front shelf is way bigger than 24x36. Plus how tall is it to the top of the exhaust stack?
I'm guessing it would take closer to a 4ft x 6ft pallet area in a truck. which means it isn't really 24 x 36 @400 pounds. Sounds like a couple shippers found out how big this unit really is and up the shipping cost accordingly. It can't be stacked on anything else and nothing can be stacked on it, so it takes that whole area from floor to ceiling in the truck. That's where the cost is coming from also, not just the weight.

DanB
01-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Hi L64 W30 H60 @ 425 lbs. Any idea what class it would be?
I'm getting quotes in the 400-600 range..When I checked out the shippers reviews, they sound like night mares!!!
Thanks Dan

1MoreFord
01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Hi All I'm getting some good quotes from Fed Ex LTL. Any body use them?
Question any body know what the term "dry van" means?
Thanks DanB
This shipping thing is a Major PIA:doh:

A Very Happy New Year To ALL!!

Google is your friend.

Dry vans are the most common type of freight trailers hauled by commercial trucking companies. Van carriers move freight that is loaded into a semi trailer. Semi trailers are typically between 26 and 53 feet. A van can also refer to a box-shaped trailer or semi-trailer used to carry goods from Origin to Destination.

pga7602
01-05-2016, 12:43 AM
I'm getting quotes in the 400-600 range..When I checked out the shippers reviews, they sound like night mares!!!
Thanks Dan

That's odd.. my smaller 36x22 Lang's shipping weight was 608 lbs. I understand a small difference, but that's almost 200 lbs. Maybe you should confirm the weight in case the shipper is a stickler.

AZRaptor
01-05-2016, 02:10 AM
Thanks Dan

That's odd.. my smaller 36x22 Lang's shipping weight was 608 lbs. I understand a small difference, but that's almost 200 lbs. Maybe you should confirm the weight in case the shipper is a stickler.

I believe Dan is listing the actual dimensions of the cooker here, not the "cook chamber" size. If I remember correctly in a previous post he mentioned he was getting a 24x36 cooker without the warmer. That all being said, you may want to doublecheck the weight with Tyler. The original estimate on my cooker was 1000lbs, but my shipper estimated it was closer to 1200.

DanB
01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
HI All Still don't what shipping class my smoker is in. I will check with Tyler about the weight..The Yoder Cheyenne with almost the same size as the Shirley, weights 315lbs.The Shirley will have a 3/8 cooking chamber and 1/4 firebox. Cooking chamber is 24 x 36
Thanks Dan

palmtreefrb
01-05-2016, 10:51 AM
HI All Still don't what shipping class my smoker is in. I will check with Tyler about the weight..The Yoder Cheyenne with almost the same size as the Shirley, weights 315lbs.The Shirley will have a 3/8 cooking chamber and 1/4 firebox. Cooking chamber is 24 x 36
Thanks Dan

My 24x56 is about 1300lbs, after crating the shipper said it was about 1500lbs.

pga7602
01-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks Dan
Hey Dan. The Yoder Cheyenne only has 36x16 cooking chamber. You can see this by downloading their dim charts. You can also tell by the specs of the grate. This is a much smaller cooker than what you are getting.

Either way I can't wait to see pics! I don't think much has been posted about the smaller Shirleys.

DanB
01-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Hi All Checked the weight still around 400lbs..Still looking for a shipper for mid March.
DanB

DanB
01-10-2016, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=AZRaptor;3424954]I checked FedEx when I was getting my Shirley shipped out here to AZ and they were over $1k. I was able to get it delivered to the house for $600 with WESTAM Transport. Top notch shippers.

Sent an E-mail to Westam. They won't handle it, must be a East coast thing.
DanB
The search goes on???

DanB
01-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Hi I'm spending way too much on Uship lately..Getting some decent bids then they are cancelling them? Driving me nuts.
Looking more for a 1 man operation with rack to load the smoker on n off.
Keep u all posted. Smoker won't be ready until Midle of March, so I have lots of tiume to firgure this out.
THanks DanB

DanB
01-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Hi Just got a quote from Old Dominion for $ 836.00.
The madness continues..:sad:
Thanks DanB
PS I got a bid on U ship for $399. It's so low scared the farker out of me.

DanB
02-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Hi All I think I'm going to go with the Uship bid for $399.
He will be close to Tuscaloosa and he delivers antique furniture, so I think the smoker will arrive in good shape.
Just have to set up the dates.
DanB

Thatgrimguy
02-02-2016, 10:52 AM
He will be close to Tuscaloosa and he delivers antique furniture, so I think the smoker will arrive in good shape.
DanB

Sounds like a great price to me.

pjtexas1
02-02-2016, 11:18 AM
DanB

Hope this works out for you. If it does he might get real busy delivering cookers at that price.

bergenguy
02-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Wow, that's some crazy madness right there. As a point of reference I'm having a RF smoker with a 24x48 cook chamber weighing in at 900 lbs sent to me (right up the road from you in Park Ridge) from TX in March... if the timeline holds. The builder told me shipping cost to NJ is only second to CA and I should expect it to be 500-600 and he will arrange LTL shipping to my residence with a lift gate. I'm expecting it to be a little higher, but he did sound like he knew what he was talking about as we discussed some mods to potentially decrease shipping cost. He said he would get a firm quote once the build was done.... so now I'm a little concerned, but hoping his estimate holds.

Good Luck, I look forward to smelling the sweet perfume of burning wood from your smoker as I drive through Paramus :-D Let us know how it works out.

DanB
02-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Hi 500-600 would be a real good price, on Uship most of the LTL frieght shippers bids were in very high range. Just look at the beginning of this thread.
Good luck with smoker and shipping.
DanB

pjtexas1
02-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Wow, that's some crazy madness right there. As a point of reference I'm having a RF smoker with a 24x48 cook chamber weighing in at 900 lbs sent to me (right up the road from you in Park Ridge) from TX in March... if the timeline holds. The builder told me shipping cost to NJ is only second to CA and I should expect it to be 500-600 and he will arrange LTL shipping to my residence with a lift gate. I'm expecting it to be a little higher, but he did sound like he knew what he was talking about as we discussed some mods to potentially decrease shipping cost. He said he would get a firm quote once the build was done.... so now I'm a little concerned, but hoping his estimate holds.

Good Luck, I look forward to smelling the sweet perfume of burning wood from your smoker as I drive through Paramus :-D Let us know how it works out.

sounds like you were talking to LSG. those guys must have relatives in the shipping business. maybe it's a volume thing but either way they seem to have good rates on shipping.

bergenguy
02-02-2016, 09:44 PM
sounds like you were talking to LSG

Actually I talked to Chad at Johnson Smokers. So far I've been very pleased with the pre-sale service. I ordered the 2D Patio smoker and am going crazy waiting for it. I can't wait. Maybe I'll start a new thread once I know it is coming. I just wish it would be here in time for superbowl, I have several plate ribs and pork butts that are waiting patiently in the freezer for its arrival. I'm also doing OK with the special extended Canada Goose season we have here in NJ and could definitely use some smoke on these guys.

DanB
02-03-2016, 02:57 PM
I booked the bid for $399 on U ship for shipping my Shirley, 1st week in March.
I hope shipper doesn't change his mind/bid, happen before with another bid.
DanB

mchar69
02-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Buy Once, Cry Once. You will be a happy man soon.

NickTheGreat
02-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Good luck!!! :clap2:

DanB
02-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Hi BB The wood gods were smiling on me lately..Found a guy close had mulberry wood for sale,4' x 4' x 16". Should last awhile.:clap2:
Not a bad deal for $70.
DanB

DanB
02-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Hi All got to speak with my Ushipper and Tyler, got my dates, for pick up and delivery. I now just have to wait about a month and my Shirley will be here.
DanB