PDA

View Full Version : Duh....OOPS, it's actually better! Assasin Grill video

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Hopefully this will open some eyes from how you're used to cooking. I was watching a video on Assasin Grills and this guy's plan was to cook @ 225 for a pork tenderloin but cooked accidentally @ 300*. You can tell he's a low and slow guy, that's what he's knows and that's what he's always done. He actually could have cooked 350-450* and had a great product.

It's comical how he stumbled into hopefully realizing that hotter grill temps aren't necessarily a bad thing but quite the opposite. Lean pork cuts like this doesn't get a chance to dry out, the outside get's better maillard reaction and caramelization of the rubs etc.. and as a bonus it's cooked much faster.

I'm surprised he didn't know lump actually burns hotter :shock: So he pulls the meat but doesn't want to chance drying it out by applying bbq sauce and cooking it on. If he cranked up the heat a little hotter he could have baked some sauce on in 10 minutes and the meat would have been just as juicy.

Notice the long rest he gave it! :laugh: Come on let it at least rest a 5-10 minutes loosely wrapped.

Anyways I think this is a good example to try things that might be outside of your comfort zone. IMO too many people often listen and copy the so called "experts" without trying to improve their craft through experimentation.

Wicked Good Pork Tenderloin in 30 Minutes - YouTube

cpw
12-09-2015, 01:10 PM
For some reason people have a real hard time getting over cooking the same way that they always have. I still prefer low and slow, but if I'm in a hurry, that temp is getting cranked up.

Ribeye Republic
12-09-2015, 01:19 PM
That was very painful to watch, but I really like those Assassin grills.

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 01:43 PM
For some reason people have a real hard time getting over cooking the same way that they always have. I still prefer low and slow, but if I'm in a hurry, that temp is getting cranked up.It's almost like a paranoia for some to step out of their comfort zone. It's not just temps but different types of cooking styles and cookers too.

That was very painful to watch, but I really like those Assassin grills. Agree on both counts...looks like a nice grill but yes that was painful to watch. lol

cheez59
12-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Poor guy is plum pitiful.

daninnewjersey
12-09-2015, 02:14 PM
The guy is trying.....a little too hard....but he's trying. Maybe a few beers before filming might help??

cheez59
12-09-2015, 02:33 PM
The guy is trying.....a little too hard....but he's trying. Maybe a few beers before filming might help??

Putting cold BBQ sauce on a beautiful tenderloin leads me to think the guy is already half in the bag. :shocked:

Randall Lee
12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Someone needs to teach him how to trim silver skin also.

sturev
12-09-2015, 03:04 PM
wow, just wow... he must know some pretty important people to have sponsors, etc...

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 04:09 PM
wow, just wow... he must know some pretty important people to have sponsors, etc... I wonder if Assasin watched this video.

Bob C Cue
12-09-2015, 04:28 PM
This is fun. Let me pile on. I bet he beats his wife and has BO.

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
The guy already had tested out that lump charcoal a few days before this cook already... :tsk:

Premium Serbian BBQ Lump Charcoal (5 star rating, tested and approved) - YouTube

JackW
12-09-2015, 04:58 PM
I cook everything at 300-325. That's just me.

Jack

bproffer
12-09-2015, 05:05 PM
"the juices are just flowing out of there"......uh yeah, that's what happens when you don't rest the meat lol. :razz:

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 05:52 PM
"the juices are just flowing out of there"......uh yeah, that's what happens when you don't rest the meat lol. :razz:

I know...Isn't that comp 101 because he says he does comps?

KevinJ
12-09-2015, 08:24 PM
That's a damn nice looking Grill especially for the price.

SmittyJonz
12-09-2015, 10:34 PM
I just ordered his Rub.........

CakeM1x
12-10-2015, 12:37 AM
It's not what you know but who you know.

ssv3
12-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Tenderloin at 225??? :shocked:

A lot of fails in this video but looking at that Assassin grill more than made up for it. :becky:

ssv3
12-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Apparently this mishap was like the chocolate chip cookies to him. I checked out a few vids on his channel.

Here's what he wrote in one of the video's description boxes

Published on Oct 27, 2015
www.youtube.com/grillwarrior
I cooked this a little faster than what I would normally cook a Boston Butt at. I usually cook at 225, today I cooked between 275 and 300 degrees. Came out very nice and tender and very juicy. The flavor was really enjoyable. I used my new rub out on the market. Grill Warrior BBQ Mild. www.grillinmagic.com Hope you enjoy this short video, more to come soon.

cheez59
12-10-2015, 04:55 AM
Apparently this mishap was like the chocolate chip cookies to him. I checked out a few vids on his channel.

Here's what he wrote in one of the video's description boxes

Published on Oct 27, 2015
www.youtube.com/grillwarrior
I cooked this a little faster than what I would normally cook a Boston Butt at. I usually cook at 225, today I cooked between 275 and 300 degrees. Came out very nice and tender and very juicy. The flavor was really enjoyable. I used my new rub out on the market. Grill Warrior BBQ Mild. www.grillinmagic.com Hope you enjoy this short video, more to come soon.

This and the tenderloin video sounds like he might have discovered that cooking a little hotter is better but he doesn't want to offend the low and slow people by suggesting it up front.

JohnnyB
12-10-2015, 08:23 AM
I don't gripe about others' habits, I find it to be rude. But last summer, after attending the BBQ Fest at the Budweiser plant, I got a bad case of food poisoning. It was terrible, the worst I have felt in years. And it happened about a half hour or so after eating my first rack of ribs from one specific place. I can only speculate as to why it happened, but when you watch things like this, where he handles raw meat barehanded, then his rub bottle, and then his olive oil bottle, and then the HANDLE on his smoker, you can bet that's what contributes to it. That's why I am so OCD about gloves and bleach wipes when I am cooking at home.

blazinfire
12-10-2015, 08:41 AM
I don't gripe about others' habits, I find it to be rude. But last summer, after attending the BBQ Fest at the Budweiser plant, I got a bad case of food poisoning. It was terrible, the worst I have felt in years. And it happened about a half hour or so after eating my first rack of ribs from one specific place. I can only speculate as to why it happened, but when you watch things like this, where he handles raw meat barehanded, then his rub bottle, and then his olive oil bottle, and then the HANDLE on his smoker, you can bet that's what contributes to it. That's why I am so OCD about gloves and bleach wipes when I am cooking at home.

I cringed when I seen him touch the rub after handling the meat! I've caught myself doing it a time or two but very rarely! I'm as paranoid as anybody else! but for cooking at home I don't do the gloves thing and all that! Just make sure I keep everything clean!

Ribeye Republic
12-10-2015, 09:37 AM
I cringed when I seen him touch the rub after handling the meat! I've caught myself doing it a time or two but very rarely! I'm as paranoid as anybody else! but for cooking at home I don't do the gloves thing and all that! Just make sure I keep everything clean!

I feel the same way. Before touching any meat I put a rubber glove on the rub bottle. Keeps it nice and clean, then just throw the glove in the trash. No more nasty rub bottles.

Fwismoker
12-10-2015, 10:03 AM
I cringed when I seen him touch the rub after handling the meat! I've caught myself doing it a time or two but very rarely! I'm as paranoid as anybody else! but for cooking at home I don't do the gloves thing and all that! Just make sure I keep everything clean! Yup, if the bottle gets touched it's getting washed with soap and water/bleach wipes!

This and the tenderloin video sounds like he might have discovered that cooking a little hotter is better but he doesn't want to offend the low and slow people by suggesting it up front.

Either that or he's trying to cover his bases with the hotter cook folks and the L&S lol

I'll be eating :pop2: waiting to see if he discovers 350* for chicken next. :becky:

ebijack
12-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Besides all the contamination and other stuff going on. I believe if you compare the exhaust cap vent is shut in the beginning when the grill is at 225*. When he comes back, the grill is at 300*+ and the exhaust vent is open and smoke is a rolling and the temp is climbing. I wonder when he finally noticed and opened the exhaust.
He cooks comps?

chingador
12-10-2015, 12:28 PM
1. Terrible knife work. Yeah, you got with silver skin off. With about 4 oz of meat
2. Food safety? yeah, whatever. I am sure he just flipped over the cutting board for the finished product
3. Too bad he couldn't pull down a sponsorship with thermopen. Yeah, it feels right.
4. Take off grill, cut immediately. Resting meat is for losers.
5. Love that Assassin grill though.

I am sure he has friends that tell him he is the man, but he has a LONG way to go. Doesn't even understand some simple basics to cooking. But just about every one of us has been there at some point. Teaching moment for sure.

chingador
12-10-2015, 12:38 PM
total steak fail from this guy.

The BEST How To Cook an Awesome 1 Inch Ribeye Steak Properly - YouTube

some people probably shouldn't post cooking videos.

Fwismoker
12-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I guess it is who you know. lol Comp evidently doesn't translate well to back yard cooks. haha

Grillin' Magic BBQ / Grill Warrior Journey Established 2008 - YouTube

Woody Butthrie
12-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Yeah. That's just the way he was taught. I learned to cook shoulders on an old 275 gallon oil drum made into a cooker that used direct heat. I learned you should be able to place the palm of your hand directly on the surface of your cooker for a count of "one thousand one" or so before a strong urge to remove it sets in. That's usually around 275-300. That remains low and slow to me.

That is a nice chef's coat.

daninnewjersey
12-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Grillin' Magic BBQ / Grill Warrior Journey Established 2008 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADZEIboe7dw)

There's something going on here. See all these famous people he's taking pics with? My money says he's loaded and is buying this persona of his.....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

lantern
12-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Wasn't going to comment on the first couple videos....but the Grill warrior BBQ journey had me laughing to hard not to.....

Was anybody else wondering if a picture of him with Abraham Lincoln was going to pop up? And then the random knife and grill pics?? I just couldn't stop:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::heh::heh::laugh:: laugh:

Fwismoker
12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
There's something going on here. See all these famous people he's taking pics with? My money says he's loaded and is buying this persona of his.....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

David does cooking classes, it's at 2:08 in the video! Sign me up!!! :dancer:

Best thing is he does comp classes, catering, birthday parties and kids classes... plus he's wide open on the schedule!

http://reviewsbydavid.com/bbq/upload/index.php?route=product/category&path=66

http://reviewsbydavid.com/bbq/upload/index.php?route=product/category&path=64

JohnnyB
12-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Why the hell was he fluffing the steaks? I was waiting for him to say things like: "Relax", and "trust me."

Fwismoker
12-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Why the hell was he fluffing the steaks? I was waiting for him to say things like: "Relax", and "trust me." Next time I order a steak I'll ask for it fluffed. I wonder what kind of reaction you'd get if you said that. :twitch:

PekingPorker
12-11-2015, 01:33 PM
I know David, he lives in the Atlanta area. I see him at a ton of comps around here filming videos and talking to teams, but I've never seen him competing.

I do want that Assassin Grill though!