PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Onion Help

ColoradoSmoke
12-09-2015, 11:19 AM
I've noticed that a lot of the BBQ places in Texas serve their meats with pickled onions on the side. Does anyone have a good recipe that they mind sharing?

:grin:

K80Shooter
12-09-2015, 11:38 AM
I have done these and really like them

Pickled Red Onions {quick and easy!}
Yield: About 2 Cups

Ingredients:
1 large red onion
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Preparation:
Slice the top and bottom off the onion and then slice it in half, from top to bottom. Remove the outer peel. Lay the cut
surfaces of the onion onto the cutting board, and then slice into half moons about 1/8" thick.

In a medium saucepan over medium to medium-high heat, bring the vinegars, sugar, and salt to a boil. Whisk until sugar and salt dissolve.

Remove pan from heat and whisk in allspice and red pepper flakes.
Carefully add sliced onion to the pan and gently stir to combine.

Let mixture cool completely at room temperature, stirring occasionally. Pour into a glass container, cover tightly with a lid, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. I like to store the pickled onions in canning jars.

This recipe is for refrigerator pickling only and needs to be stored in a refrigerator. Enjoy for up to one month.

OpelGTMan
12-09-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm going to have to try this.

haunas
12-09-2015, 01:56 PM
In Hawaii when their is Hawaiian food we have sliced onions maybe 1/4" or so and some Hawaiian salt to dip the onion in. Unreal! Maybe if I open a joint I'll do a mix and mash.

Ol'Joe
12-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the post, gonna try it

Okie Sawbones
12-09-2015, 05:39 PM
The wife and I use one similar to K80, but with lime juice.

Pickled Onions

Makes 3 cups

Ingredients:

2 medium red onions, halved and thinly sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup apple cider vinegar
cup fresh lime juice
cup sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Directions:

Add the sliced onions to a medium bowl or pot of boiling water for 10 seconds, and then drain immediately into a colander. Place the onions in a quart jar and cool, while preparing the brine.

Toast the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and salt. Bring to a low boil and cook until the sugar and salt have dissolved, about 2 minutes. Cool, then pour the brine over the onions. Refrigerate.

You can use sweet white onions such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, and be creative with a dab of food coloring. Green pickled onions are always a favorite.

Doug Crann
12-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Both of these sound great.

krex1010
12-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Pickled onions and sweet pickles are my favorite toppers for pulled pork, I don't put Coke slaw on it anymore

Okie Sawbones
12-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Pickled onions and sweet pickles are my favorite toppers for pulled pork, I don't put Coke slaw on it anymore

That does sound good. :thumb:

Bludawg
12-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I do Mexican style

Cebollas Encurtidas

Makes about 1 quart
Ingredients

Red onions, thinly sliced -- 2
Limes, juice only -- 3 or 4
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Method

Put the onions in a bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover. Let stand for 15 minutes, then drain and rinse the onions with cool water.
Mix the onions with the lime juice, salt and pepper.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before using. Will keep for 2 or 3 days.

daninnewjersey
12-10-2015, 07:48 AM
I don't put Coke slaw on it anymore

Don't know anyone that does.....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

ColoradoSmoke
12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone, next time I cook I'm going to try a small batch of each recipe!

MisterChrister
12-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Great thread, great recipes, thanks everyone!

Texmex01
12-10-2015, 12:52 PM
I love these:

Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions)

For 1 onion, you'll need:
1 onion, thinly sliced
About 1/2 cup rice or white vinegar
1 tsp white sugar

Cut the onion in half and slice as thin as possible. The thinner you slice it, the quicker it'll absorb the vinegar and soften.

Place the onion slices into a shallow bowl. Dissolve 1 tsp white sugar into about 1/2 cup rice or white vinegar. You need just enough vinegar to cover the onions.

Set aside for about 15 minutes, mixing the onion slices to make sure they all absorb the vinegar.

toymaster
12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
I cut up a Jalapeno into matchsticks and pickle them with the onions.

Okie Sawbones
12-11-2015, 08:21 PM
This thread reminded me I was getting low, so I whipped up another batch today.

This reminds me. I got another mandoline due to a recommendation from a friend. My two more expensive mandolines are gathering dust. If you are looking for a stocking stuffer this year, this one is a winner. I just love it.

Amazon.com: Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315hDZ0XopL.@@AMEPARAM@@315hDZ0XopL

IamMadMan
12-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Here's another recipe if you want.....

BARBECUE PICKLED ONIONS:

2 medium vidalia or red onions
3/4 Cup of Water
1/2 Cup White Vinegar
1/4 Cup White Sugar
1 Tbsp Honey
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp Coriander Seeds
1/2 Tsp whole fennel Seed
1/2 Tsp Celery Seeds
1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Slice onions in thin 1/8 slices or as close as you can get to it.
2) Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, except the onions and bring to a boil, simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes. Keep the liquid in the pot and allow it to cool it cool for about 30 minutes. Refrigerate.
3) Bring a pot of water to boil, then remove from stove and drop the onions in for about 10 seconds. This is called blanching. Quickly drain the pot into a colander and run cold water over the onions for about a minute to shock them and rapidly stop the cooking process.
4) Place the onions in a clean jar and cover them with the cool liquid. Refrigerate for 5 days before using, and keep refrigerated.

mytmouz
12-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Working my way through the list. The first one is tasty...

IamMadMan
12-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Working my way through the list. The first one is tasty...

Keep us posted with your results.....

kolky
12-13-2015, 05:17 PM
2 Red Onions halved and thin sliced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup water
1 TBS Salt
1 TBS Sugar
1 Tps Red pepper flakes
4 Garlic cloves
2 Habanero, Jalapeno or pepper of your choice sliced thin.

Mix together vinegar, water, salt, sugar and pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.

Stuff onions, peppers, and garlic into large mason jar.

Pour liquid over onions and refrigerate for 24 hours.