PDA

View Full Version : Temperature accuracy of the Green Mountain Grill - Jim Bowie

bbqpitsmoker
12-08-2015, 10:29 PM
I would like to understand if the performance of my Jim Bowie WIFI is comparable to the experience of other owners.

1. I turn my grill on, and it automatically comes up to a temp as displayed on the grill control panel of 150F

2. This is the default, so it maintains this temp

3. I have an accurate Polder thermal probe (not the GMG probe), which I place on the main cooking surface, in the exact middle. ie half way from left to right, and half way from front to back.

4. After leaving it for a while, ie 30 mins, the main display of the GMG still shows 150F, however the reading from the middle of the cooking surface via the Polder was 230F

The problem of course with this is that :

1. Something is going to cook very different at 230F from 150F, ie an 80F difference!

2. There is no way that I can see for me to actually cook at a 'real' 150F, because the grill won't let me set the display to under 150F (it goes into fan mode), so I can't even set it lower to account for the 80F difference.

Would be VERY interested for anyone else with a Jim Bowie to try this experiment and advise the reading via an independant thermal probe like a Polder or Tappeque.

Old Dave
12-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Build yourself a raised cooking grate and make it about 3-4" above the standard cooking grate and this will bring your temperatures more in line for your very low cooking temps.

gw1947
12-09-2015, 05:43 AM
You need to adjust your heat deflectors under your drip pan. I have a Bowie and after playing with different deflector settings mine runs about 10 degrees above the set temp. I have owned it for about 4 years and it has never given me any problems and it cooks some great food. Just like any cooker you have to tune them in.

Music Junkie
12-09-2015, 04:14 PM
I own a Daniel Boone, and I have had it for about 6-8 months now. I use a redi-check wireless thermometer. It has two inputs. One for the grill, and one for the meat. The redi-check shows the grill temp at 8-12 degrees less than what the grill itself shows. To find out which one was more accurate, I boiled some water and checked the redi-check. It was spot on. Now I just adjust the grill based on the redi-check reading. 12 degrees is much easier to deal with than 80 though...

bbqpitsmoker
12-10-2015, 02:56 PM
That sounds like the Daniel Boone is much more accurate? Where are you placing the redi-check probe for the grill? ie where are you taking the temp?

For anyone else with a Jim Bowie, would greatly appreciate your feedback from my steps (above) around how accurate it is....

ace27705
12-10-2015, 03:34 PM
I had the same problem with mine. I have the non wifi however. 50 degree difference.
first they said try the deflectors different etc. still had the same prob using 3 different temp gauges they all read the same thing. they sent me new electronics . Boom problem fixed.

Music Junkie
12-10-2015, 04:38 PM
That sounds like the Daniel Boone is much more accurate? Where are you placing the redi-check probe for the grill? ie where are you taking the temp?

For anyone else with a Jim Bowie, would greatly appreciate your feedback from my steps (above) around how accurate it is....

Just clipping it onto the grill, centered front to back, and off to the left hand side, to avoid the cooking food.

I would contact customer support for yours for sure. I had a small issue with the probe that came with the machine, and they jumped on it and replaced it in 2 days.

MJ

Dweverett
12-10-2015, 07:19 PM
I don't have a GMG but few thoughts based on my rectec. Not sure how old the grill is but I'd start by trying to clean the probe. The lovely seasoning that builds up on the smokers is great to protect the interior -- not so great when it's acting as an insulator on the probe. On mine, it also reads wrong if it is too close to the wall of the smoker -- which can happen if one were to hit it hard enough with say the drip pan. Once I pulled it back into position the readings are much more accurate.

The controllers can be calibrated (some of them anyway) -- if you contact the manufacturer they might be able to have you reprogram it yourself. Finally, as someone else posted, sometimes they do go bad and a replacement will solve the problem.

Edit:
I just looked online at where the sensor sits. Not as vulnerable to getting knocked out of position as on my Rectec. Would think that you could get a nice gunk build up there though. One other thing that I believe to be the case though I've never tested. In very cold weather I suspect that the built in probe reads lower than it should given how close it is to the exterior metal. That said, based on where you appear to be from, I wouldn't think that's a big problem for you right now.