PDA

View Full Version : Pork Belly Help

Mattb82
12-08-2015, 12:15 PM
I plan on trying my first pork belly this weekend. Any tips are appreciated. It will be going on my xl bge, Shirley won't be here until next month. I was thinking my typical beaver pepper followed by salt, paprika, and granulated garlic at 275 until probe tender and the fat cap turns to a crispy gelatin.

Thanks

Matt

Porcine Perfection
12-08-2015, 12:23 PM
A pork belly that isn't bacon? I personally can't bring myself to do it, but I have heard it is really good and Malcom Reed has a good tutorial.

Smoked Pork Belly Recipe - How To Smoke Pork Belly Bacon Uncured - YouTube

Mattb82
12-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks man

Porcine Perfection
12-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Sure thing. Let us know how it turns out. Perhaps I can be convinced otherwise.

CakeM1x
12-08-2015, 12:45 PM
It awesome outside of bacon. Try it please.

Mattb82
12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Local butcher has some incredibly marbled looking pork belly and are considering selling me point only prime brisket as well. Made my day. Tough to find firewood in north jersey but we have great family owned old school butchers and deli

Okie Sawbones
12-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Just an FYI, I used Malcolm's video the first time I smoked pig belly. I just had to tweak for time. Turned out great. I can count the number of pig bellies I've cooked since. The wife loves to make slider rolls, and she loves to eat my pork belly. A win, win!

Here is my method from start to finish:

Pork Belly (fresh)

Method:

Leave skin on
Inject with hog injection
Spray or rub the skin side with olive oil
Rub the meat side with a light coat of mustard.
Shake on a generous amount of your favorite pork rub. I make my own.
Cook skin side down at 250 for about 3-4 hours. You are looking for a nice deep mahogany color. I cook mine in a pan on a rack to let the smoke circulate, but to also catch all of the fat.
I use apple and/or peach chunks.
Remove from the fire. Shake on a little more rub, pour in a half cup of apple juice, then wrap well with foil, then put back on the cooker at 225 for 3-4 hours until probe tender and the fat is rendering well (about 205 degrees).
Remove from the heat, drain all liquids, and let it rest for 15 minutes or so.
Glaze with your favorite BBQ sauce or finishing glaze. I make my own.
Put it back in the pit for 30 minutes to set the glaze.
Pull, and stuff your face!

Hog Injection:

2 quarts apple juice
2 cups white vinegar
2 ½ pounds sugar
1 cup non-iodized salt
Heat until just starting to boil and the sugar is dissolved. This keeps in the fridge for months.

Pork Rub:

½ cup of white sugar
½ cup of packed brown sugar
½ cup kosher salt
½ cup coarse ground black pepper
¼ cup medium chili powder
¼ cup paprika
1 tablespoon turmeric
½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
½ tablespoon dry mustard
½ tablespoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon onion powder
½ tablespoon jalapeno powder
Mix well and store in an air tight container.

Hog Glaze:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup Frank’s hot sauce
1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
¼ cup sugar
1 18-ounce jar of apple jelly (for variation I sometimes use peach or plum)
1 cup light Karo syrup
Heat until just starting to boil and the sugar and jelly is well mixed. This stores well.

Here is a picture from my last cook:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/Randybuckner/a5_zpskba1okuz.jpg

MisterChrister
12-08-2015, 01:07 PM
OK, I gotta bookmark this thread!

Mattb82
12-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Awesome Okie, thank you

WhitesideJC
12-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Another idea would be to make porchetta. I've seen it done a couple times on here, and always looks delicious!

churrodog
12-08-2015, 02:52 PM
What IT do you shoot for when you want to slice or cube?

Okie Sawbones
12-08-2015, 05:12 PM
What IT do you shoot for when you want to slice or cube?

I have never done anything but pulled, so I can't answer that.

Doug Crann
12-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Another idea would be to make porchetta. I've seen it done a couple times on here, and always looks delicious!

By any chance do you have a bookmark/subscription to one of them? Searching for them on my phone is a bit frustrating.

My sincerest thanks for the video and the recipe. Just so happens I have a 15 pound frozen belly in the freezer... hmmm...

Phubar
12-09-2015, 12:01 PM
My 2 Eurocents...

Malcolm started out good allthough I would skip a Phew steps he's doing in the vid...he's cooking it KCBS comp style.

-if I would use a "glue" for the rub I'd use Worchester...not as thick as mustard but it carries Phar more Phlavour and BTW...porkbelly is Phatty enouPh to let your rub stick to the meat

-injecting...hell nah!!!Porkbelly carries much Phlavour by itselPhs

-wrapping in Phoil...hell nah!!!Porkbelly is Phatty enouPh to keep itselPhs moist...even when you think it's overcooked.Porkbelly is more Phorgiving than a pork neck/collar or butt

-pulling the porkbelly...hell nah!!!That's overcooked...probably still tasty but still overcooked.Sliced or diced porkbelly is better IMO

What I do agree with Malcolm is that porkbelly is the best cut Phrom a piggy and a glaze is good on the belly.

When you smoke a porkbelly on low temp I'd cut the skin off and make cracklins out of it...on low smoking it does not get the skin crispy (skin side down) it only acts like a heatshield when cooking on a UDS type of cooker (without a dePhlector).

How I would do it...marinade/season the belly to your liking,put it on the smoker for 5-6 hours on low heat,glaze it (optional),let it rest for a hour in Phoil.

https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/12341409_10153771935074695_6673257450079154181_n.j pg?oh=846d58d99678b55eb756015df3165e82&oe=571B4BD0

WhitesideJC
12-09-2015, 01:35 PM
By any chance do you have a bookmark/subscription to one of them? Searching for them on my phone is a bit frustrating.

My sincerest thanks for the video and the recipe. Just so happens I have a 15 pound frozen belly in the freezer... hmmm...

Here's the extreme form of the porchetta. But, you can tone it down with just a pork tenderloin, pork belly, and then follow along with a similar flavor profile with the spice. I hope this helps!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202941&highlight=porchetta

Doug Crann
12-09-2015, 01:43 PM
My 2 Eurocents...

Malcolm started out good allthough I would skip a Phew steps he's doing in the vid...he's cooking it KCBS comp style.

-if I would use a "glue" for the rub I'd use Worchester...not as thick as mustard but it carries Phar more Phlavour and BTW...porkbelly is Phatty enouPh to let your rub stick to the meat

-injecting...hell nah!!!Porkbelly carries much Phlavour by itselPhs

-wrapping in Phoil...hell nah!!!Porkbelly is Phatty enouPh to keep itselPhs moist...even when you think it's overcooked.Porkbelly is more Phorgiving than a pork neck/collar or butt

-pulling the porkbelly...hell nah!!!That's overcooked...probably still tasty but still overcooked.Sliced or diced porkbelly is better IMO

What I do agree with Malcolm is that porkbelly is the best cut Phrom a piggy and a glaze is good on the belly.

When you smoke a porkbelly on low temp I'd cut the skin off and make cracklins out of it...on low smoking it does not get the skin crispy (skin side down) it only acts like a heatshield when cooking on a UDS type of cooker (without a dePhlector).

How I would do it...marinade/season the belly to your liking,put it on the smoker for 5-6 hours on low heat,glaze it (optional),let it rest for a hour in Phoil.

https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/12341409_10153771935074695_6673257450079154181_n.j pg?oh=846d58d99678b55eb756015df3165e82&oe=571B4BD0
Thanks....
What IT do you call done?

daninnewjersey
12-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Here's the extreme form of the porchetta. But, you can tone it down with just a pork tenderloin, pork belly, and then follow along with a similar flavor profile with the spice. I hope this helps!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202941&highlight=porchetta

I don't know HOW I missed this thread but thank you for posting it again....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Phubar
12-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks....
What IT do you call done?

To be honest I've never probed a porkbelly.
When cooking a porkbelly at low temp (250F or so) for 5-6 hours it's done for sure.
Probably it's edible aPhter a 4 hours of smoke...depending what size porkbelly you're cooking.
That piece of porkbelly what Malcolm is cooking is very thin...I'd probably cook that piece 3-4 hours max. at 225-250F.
Porkbelly that thin I'd most probably make a porchetta out of it.

itschris
12-09-2015, 06:45 PM
I've got a few now under my belt... I usually season and smoke for about 4 hours or so. I then throw it on the grill and crisp it up. I then cut it into bit size chunks and may even pan fry it a bit more. It's awesome that way as a snack for F1 Race days.

I've done one pulled before like the video... I didn't quite do it that way but the results appeared similar. It's great that way too. Thinking about it... I'm not sure you could make it in a way that would be bad.