PDA

View Full Version : Fan Boys

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 12:11 PM
How do you handle them? Just ignore or put them in their place?

pjtexas1
12-08-2015, 12:42 PM
not really sure what you mean but we all love our cookers and talking about them. kind of what we do. this is not really the type of place where we attack each other. there is an ignore feature where you will not have to see posts from a particular member.

Jason TQ
12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Definitely put then in their place. If by "place" you mean "taco".........:-D

I have no idea what this is about.

landarc
12-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Guys who use Gurus or Stokers are okay, I let them be.

No need to pick on guys who need to use fans.

Schubox
12-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Fan Boy? No, I don't use an auto temp controller.

Ribeye Republic
12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
What place would you put them.

The interwebs is serious bidness.

cheez59
12-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Depending on what you are talking about it is usually better to ignore a hornets nest than to disturb it.

JohnnyB
12-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Fans of boy bands, maybe???

Them too, everyone has their own taste in music, I guess. Im more of a country guy.

rickv14623
12-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Guys who use Gurus or Stokers are okay, I let them be.

No need to pick on guys who need to use fans.

Now, that's funny right there.

pjtexas1
12-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Definitely put then in their place. If by "place" you mean "taco".........:-D

I have no idea what this is about.
This is more confusing than the original question. Maybe you're the fan boy. :laugh:

Smoke on Badger Mountain
12-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Are you saying you are so good at Q that you have Groupies?

Fwismoker
12-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Fan boys are welcome to buy mine...they are officially up for sale for cheap.

landarc
12-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Oh! I have groupies, but, they are more into how I wear my jeans.

ssv3
12-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Are you saying you are so good at Q that you have Groupies?

:pound:

Dauvis
12-08-2015, 02:20 PM
What place would you put them.

The interwebs is serious bidness.

I have a recommendation where they can be stuck :heh: but that post would probably be followed by one with red or green text. :icon_shy

:becky:

Jason TQ
12-08-2015, 02:21 PM
This is more confusing than the original question. Maybe you're the fan boy. :laugh:

Look if I've said it once before I've said it a million times..............If being a Michael Bolton fan boy is wrong, I don't want to be right :clap2::clap2:!!

But, seriously what the heck are we talking about here :becky:

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 02:25 PM
LOL at many of the answers.

I just find many people won't be honest about the bad side of their smokers. In other words even when there is proof they still act like nothing is wrong. Wouldn't it be better for all of us if people were just honest about things?

I gave an opinion on a certain brand of Pellet smokers that are known to have major issues, and said just do your homework then a bunch of them acted like nothing has ever been wrong.

I just said do a google search, and tell me there isn't issues. I just stopped because you will never get the truth. IMO people that spend a ton of money won't admit they bought a POS or maybe that is too harsh, a smoker with known flaws.

I just felt it is wrong to spend other peoples money, and not point out both sides.

DriverWild
12-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Someone is definitely trying to stir the pot! I'm sure many are just playing but for those that don't know a fan boy is someone who is attached to a brand. Ford vs Chevy, Apple vs Android vs Microsoft, Lang vs Shirley, Weber vs Big Green Egg...

I think you will find your answer quickly by reading some of the threads. There are many people who are loyal to brands or styles. Will they go so far as to cover up bad things out of loyalty, I don't think so. This is a pretty good group of people you are mixing with here so if you want honest opinions you came to the right place.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
12-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Oh.... Now I see. There are plenty of opinions around here. And some folks take it harder than other when you don't agree. If someone asks a for input on a purchase, if you have some advise I would share it. If someone recommends a cooker that you think is inferior, then just state the values of you choice. I would not slam the other brothers opinion. We all have our opinions on what cookers are the best. And ones we would never buy. But sometimes it comes down to cost and availability as well. And not the one you really want long term. All that being said, there are some folks here that will state their opinion as fact. And that bother me. Lets share our thought and experience on cookers and then let folks decide given the hopefully good information we supplied.

IMHO

Porcine Perfection
12-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Either the OP really threw something in from left field with the Fan Boys reference or we are all really old and did not get it. I think I know the answer. :cry:

Keep in mind "Burnt To A T" that people are loyal to, and pay a lot of money for their smokers. Criticism should be fact based. Nobody wants to be told the $$$ they invested in a smoker is wasted and their stuff sucks. I would also go as far to say that most of the deficiencies with any smoker out there have been addressed here and most likely a solution has been found. We are a pretty ingenious group of people. Just take a look at the UDS thread.

Also, the culture here is VERY non-confrontational. The moderators run a pretty tight ship. Once again if you have facts to back up your opinions we are all ears.

You can meet some great people here, and you might learn a thing or two.

Ron_L
12-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Someone is definitely trying to stir the pot! I'm sure many are just playing but for those that don't know a fan boy is someone who is attached to a brand. Ford vs Chevy, Apple vs Android vs Microsoft, Lang vs Shirley, Weber vs Big Green Egg...

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!

gtr
12-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Either the OP really threw something in from left field with the Fan Boys reference or we are all really old and did not get it. I think I know the answer. :cry:

Keep in mind "Burnt To A T" that people are loyal to, and pay a lot of money for their smokers. Criticism should be fact based. Nobody wants to be told the $$$ they invested in a smoker is wasted and their stuff sucks. I would also go as far to say that most of the deficiencies with any smoker out there have been addressed here and most likely a solution has been found. We are a pretty ingenious group of people. Just take a look at the UDS thread.

Also, the culture here is VERY non-confrontational. The moderators run a pretty tight ship. Once again if you have facts to back up your opinions we are all ears.

You can meet some great people here, and you might learn a thing or two.

Also - and I have no idea what the case is here - people tend to take criticism of a product based on first hand experience and knowledge much more seriously than criticism of a product that's based on stuff that's read on the internet. I have no idea if this is what's happening in the situation in question or not, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Is this the part where we start talking about PBC's? :noidea:

DUBBAGA
12-08-2015, 03:33 PM
I am confused, isn't this the Goatsnake fan club?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HSEM_qziYYk/VXPNSl5zMaI/AAAAAAAAAIs/cFhRECh60KQ/s1600/Goatsnake.jpg

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 03:48 PM

I think you will find your answer quickly by reading some of the threads. There are many people who are loyal to brands or styles. Will they go so far as to cover up bad things out of loyalty, I don't think so. This is a pretty good group of people you are mixing with here so if you want honest opinions you came to the right place.

You hit the nail on the head, and yes these owners are not being honest. Its not on this site, but another. They are saying they have never had trouble so I said that is great for you, but many people are.

They just won't admit there are issues. IMO you should include both sides. Funny part is I went to the owners section of this smoker, and it has all kinds of people wanting fixes etc etc. , and few of them are posting there taht are saying how great they are with no issues. LOL

DriverWild
12-08-2015, 03:49 PM

How funny Ron! I switched over to Apple years ago but ordered a Windows 10 machine that will arrive tomorrow. Keeping my Mac's but letting the "enemy" in the door. I can't wait for my first Windows 10 virus! Ha Ha!

Porcine Perfection
12-08-2015, 03:49 PM
I am confused, isn't this the Goatsnake fan club?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HSEM_qziYYk/VXPNSl5zMaI/AAAAAAAAAIs/cFhRECh60KQ/s1600/Goatsnake.jpg

Goatsnake - Whitesnake; is there really any difference?

BTW - In before this thread hits the woodpile!

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images03/30/7bdf1e178a124de0933ee3e0378307a9/600x600.jpg

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Also - and I have no idea what the case is here - people tend to take criticism of a product based on first hand experience and knowledge much more seriously than criticism of a product that's based on stuff that's read on the internet. I have no idea if this is what's happening in the situation in question or not, but figured I'd throw it out there.

It was actually a guy asking for input that was looking at buying a certain brand used pellet smoker. I just said to be careful because there have been known issues, and why this brand people have to include a build date. IMO if you know there are issues I would inform the guy looking at this brand that there have been issues look them up or mention them vs saying I have had no issues. Then one points out they are the lucky ones then they got bent. There is one guy that gave his away that states what I have, and the guy that got it free is one that claims they are great. Trust me if you don't get support from the co, and give away a 2K smoker that isn't good.

gtr
12-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Goatsnake - Whitesnake; is there really any difference?

BTW - In before this thread hits the woodpile!

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images03/30/7bdf1e178a124de0933ee3e0378307a9/600x600.jpg

That's a farkin mess right there IMO. But Tommy Aldridge is a killer drummer.

ssv3
12-08-2015, 04:00 PM

You just opened Pandora's box Greg. It was "sort of" asleep.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :becky:

SmittyJonz
12-08-2015, 04:02 PM
:confused:

The_Kapn
12-08-2015, 04:07 PM
I don't know about all this alleged "issue" stuff.

Things that are an "issue" to some is trivia to others.

I am shopping for a new water heater.
Checking the reviews and feedback, one WhirlPool was given a 2 of 5 star rating because "it is not attractive".
I guess that is an "issue" to some. Not to me cause I keep that door closed. 8)

And BTW I am a FanBoy of Meatloaf--both the meal and the rock star. 8)

And it's not even the dead of winter yet. :drama:

TIM

gtr
12-08-2015, 04:12 PM
^^^Meatloaf said "2 out of 3 ain't bad" but I think he'd have a problem with a 2 out of 5 star rating.

Jason TQ
12-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Checking the reviews and feedback, one WhirlPool was given a 2 of 5 star rating because "it is not attractive".

TIM

Agree that people don't know how to objectively give reviews of products around the facts. Food review sites (yelp, trip advisor) for example are hard to filter out the noise of people saying "horrible service and food was garbage". That really doesn't give much objective detail. Exactly like your example.

DUBBAGA
12-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Kapn,

I happen to be an expert in water heaters, and would be happy to help, but before I make any recommendations

let me sleep on it
baby baby let me sleep on it
let me sleep on it
and I'll give you an answer in the morning

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/rock-on-smiley-emoticon.gif

(ok, not an expert in anything, but it was the only way I could think to crowbar lyrics into my response)

4ever3
12-08-2015, 04:38 PM

:thumb:

I like toast... No, not that toast, toast, not that I have anything against the other toast.

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Agree that people don't know how to objectively give reviews of products around the facts. Food review sites (yelp, trip advisor) for example are hard to filter out the noise of people saying "horrible service and food was garbage". That really doesn't give much objective detail. Exactly like your example.

That's my point. If you're a fan boy you won't give an honest evaluation. People that give an honest approach are the ones I think need to speak. Both good, and bad on an item. Two way street on every issue, and I don't like one way being told.

landarc
12-08-2015, 05:23 PM

Fanboy! :tsk:

landarc
12-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Folks often get blinded by the fact that they have purchased a certain cooker, or any other device, and if it works for them, they become attached to it. I think, as Tim said above, there are also varying amounts of tolerance people will have for a given amount of problems.

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Folks often get blinded by the fact that they have purchased a certain cooker, or any other device, and if it works for them, they become attached to it. I think, as Tim said above, there are also varying amounts of tolerance people will have for a given amount of problems.

I can see that, but why not say I took a chance, and I'm happy, but I will say some haven't been. Instead of saying there are no issues? Buy it you won't be sorry. Well lots of people have been sorry so why not say that?

SmittyJonz
12-08-2015, 05:52 PM
These: ?

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/C63A4604-EC35-4446-8B24-0A9AAE6F87A5_zpsuebn6vj7.png (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/C63A4604-EC35-4446-8B24-0A9AAE6F87A5_zpsuebn6vj7.png.html)

DUBBAGA
12-08-2015, 06:00 PM

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/C63A4604-EC35-4446-8B24-0A9AAE6F87A5_zpsuebn6vj7.png (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/C63A4604-EC35-4446-8B24-0A9AAE6F87A5_zpsuebn6vj7.png.html)

Are you borrowing Jared Fogle's phone again? :tsk:

pjtexas1
12-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Meh...windows for the win.:boxing: If you get a virus i find in most cases you did something unsafe on said pc. Lots of guys I work with don't even use Antivirus and never get a virus.

Wornslick
12-08-2015, 06:11 PM

I love my new iMac....

And I love my Stumps too!

but to each there own.

Jason TQ
12-08-2015, 06:17 PM
That's my point. If you're a fan boy you won't give an honest evaluation. People that give an honest approach are the ones I think need to speak. Both good, and bad on an item. Two way street on every issue, and I don't like one way being told.

Well my point was technically that many people in general don't understand what an objective review is whether a "fan boy" or not. Not everyone that can't properly review or give good feedback is a "fan boy". You seem fixed in that term and it doesn't encapsulate all types of crappy reviewers.

Also people that don't admit a products faults also might not be a fan boy. They might just not want to admit something they purchased has a flaw to seem like they made a bad choice.

Seefyre
12-08-2015, 06:25 PM
LOL at many of the answers.

I just find many people won't be honest about the bad side of their smokers. In other words even when there is proof they still act like nothing is wrong. Wouldn't it be better for all of us if people were just honest about things?

I gave an opinion on a certain brand of Pellet smokers that are known to have major issues, and said just do your homework then a bunch of them acted like nothing has ever been wrong.

I just said do a google search, and tell me there isn't issues. I just stopped because you will never get the truth. IMO people that spend a ton of money won't admit they bought a POS or maybe that is too harsh, a smoker with known flaws.

I just felt it is wrong to spend other peoples money, and not point out both sides.

Everyone likes their own brand......take farts for example :yo:

landarc
12-08-2015, 06:42 PM
I can see that, but why not say I took a chance, and I'm happy, but I will say some haven't been. Instead of saying there are no issues? Buy it you won't be sorry. Well lots of people have been sorry so why not say that?
Since I don't know the cooker you are referencing, and there are several large pellet cooker companies out there, I can't say for sure. If I had bought a cooker, and there was a problem, I think I would be pretty clear what it was. However, I have also really alienated some folks with my reviews. So, I might not be a fan boy.

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Well my point was technically that many people in general don't understand what an objective review is whether a "fan boy" or not. Not everyone that can't properly review or give good feedback is a "fan boy". You seem fixed in that term and it doesn't encapsulate all types of crappy reviewers.

Also people that don't admit a products faults also might not be a fan boy. They might just not want to admit something they purchased has a flaw to seem like they made a bad choice.

It's about giving false impressions of something. Say you got smoker A, and you had to replace 6 items even if under warranty yet you state it has been great.

Why not say well I have had to replace 6 items, but I think IMO its still pretty good. Some may not care if its had issues others will say I better look at this again.

Why would you lead someone else to issues because of self pride?

Why put people through that? Just be honest about it so people can judge for themselves.

Ron_L
12-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Fanboy! :tsk:

I can't believe it took that long :-D

Bill-Chicago
12-08-2015, 06:57 PM
How funny Ron! I switched over to Apple years ago but ordered a Windows 10 machine that will arrive tomorrow. Keeping my Mac's but letting the "enemy" in the door. I can't wait for my first Windows 10 virus! Ha Ha!

Ron has a Surface 3 Pro, don't let him fool you

Edit: I stumbled out of Woodpile,,, and found Woodpile

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Since I don't know the cooker you are referencing, and there are several large pellet cooker companies out there, I can't say for sure. If I had bought a cooker, and there was a problem, I think I would be pretty clear what it was. However, I have also really alienated some folks with my reviews. So, I might not be a fan boy.

It wasn't here. The cooker is Y***r Pellet. I know many people like them, and that's not what its about. It was about telling people what to look out for. Not say what problems?

Trust me people aren't being truthful. I don't like the fact they are misguiding people like they have not had issues, and ticked me off. They asked me to name the issues, and I just told the person just google it, and you will get the info needed.

Some people aren't made of money, and don't have much knowledge on things so I think being straight forward is the best road to take.

pjtexas1
12-08-2015, 07:53 PM
from experience i have had a couple of brethren go the PM route when they want to inform me of an issue with a builder/cooker. i can see not wanting to be the only guy saying a cooker has issues but for the most part around here we look out for each other first. i have one of those cookers that when i did my initial review it was a good cooker and the builder was good. as time went by the builder started to get flaky and not telling customers the truth. those of us that had the cookers could only tell everyone our experiences but those that had issues with the builder were quick to get the word out. i don't recall any of us owners attacking the guys that reported issues.

Ron_L
12-08-2015, 07:59 PM
It wasn't here. The cooker is Y***r Pellet. I know many people like them, and that's not what its about. It was about telling people what to look out for. Not say what problems?

Trust me people aren't being truthful. I don't like the fact they are misguiding people like they have not had issues, and ticked me off. They asked me to name the issues, and I just told the person just google it, and you will get the info needed.

Some people aren't made of money, and don't have much knowledge on things so I think being straight forward is the best road to take.

There no problem in typing Yoder :-D

If someone posted here a caution about Yoder or any cooker and then told folks to "just google" the issues, I think folks here would be suspicious, too. Why not just tell folks what your issues were (maybe you did that, but I'm not going to search it out). We welcome opinions on cookers, good or bad, as long as they are presented in a professional manner (not flaming), and are factual. Sure, you will get folks who haven't seen the same issues, but that is their opinion, too.

4ever3
12-08-2015, 08:00 PM
What landarc said. My issue with said fanboys comes in when they start trashing other cookers! There's more than one way to skin a cat and there's for dang sure more than one way to smoke a pork butt!

You smoke your way and I'll smoke mine and then we'll sit down and eat...

Happy Hapgood
12-08-2015, 08:05 PM

TIM

I thought the Fan Boy gig was coming out of the closet and such but now that we have a water heater thread, I can help! Gas or Electric? If gas, how many BTU's / Gallons? 40? 50? Just let me know. Depending on the square footage of your home, how many occupants and how long you plan on inhabiting the dwelling, you too can get the perfectly sized water heater for your specific need. :thumb:

mikemci
12-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Up front, I will say that I didn't read all the replies on this thread.
I could tell by his original post that this guy is a troll and trying to stir people up.
Go to another site please, or learn how to ask an honest question.
We don't entertain this stuff here.

gtr
12-08-2015, 08:09 PM
I thought the Fan Boy gig was coming out of the closet and such but now that we have a water heater thread, I can help! Gas or Electric? If gas, how many BTU's / Gallons? 40? 50? Just let me know. Depending on the square footage of your home, how many occupants and how long you plan on inhabiting the dwelling, you too can get the perfectly sized water heater for your specific need. :thumb:

^^^I might be a Noritz fanboy. But we should have done the circulation pump.

Happy Hapgood
12-08-2015, 08:09 PM
I could tell by his original post that this guy is a troll and trying to stir people up.

Darn! My Bad. I entertained a troll. Should have seen it coming. Been in the WP too long I reckon.

Kinda like Fairies wearing boots. :tsk:

Black Sabbath - Fairies Wear Boots - YouTube

Happy Hapgood
12-08-2015, 08:23 PM
^^^I might be a Noritz fanboy. But we should have done the circulation pump.

Of course it helps but adds to annual energy costs. Depending on the R value of your piping insulation. Fans remove heat and boys ... well they are just boys.

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 09:05 PM
There no problem in typing Yoder :-D

If someone posted here a caution about Yoder or any cooker and then told folks to "just google" the issues, I think folks here would be suspicious, too. Why not just tell folks what your issues were (maybe you did that, but I'm not going to search it out). We welcome opinions on cookers, good or bad, as long as they are presented in a professional manner (not flaming), and are factual. Sure, you will get folks who haven't seen the same issues, but that is their opinion, too.

Its hard to explain , and no there have been far too many issues it could have been in that time frame. Updates in both product, firmware etc etc. How many other smokers do you list a build date for when you start talking about it?

I just said it would be easier to look the data up then have me list everything it could be. Then the buyer could make his own call. I wasn't trying to sway him either way.

The issue I had was people saying there was no problems. To a new guy that is looking for advise I find that pretty underhanded to do. That is not give him both the good, and bad sides of what he was asking about.

I started looking at pellets for about a year went to stick burners, and now I have ended up looking at cabinets. I have about 10 to 13 I'm looking at, and now Shirley Fab will also be making them in 16. So I'm in a holding pattern for now.

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 09:06 PM

Don't quit your day job unless you are a detective. Because you are dead wrong.

Burnt to a T
12-08-2015, 09:10 PM
What landarc said. My issue with said fanboys comes in when they start trashing other cookers! There's more than one way to skin a cat and there's for dang sure more than one way to smoke a pork butt!

You smoke your way and I'll smoke mine and then we'll sit down and eat...

They did that bashing other brands, and forgot about the one being talked about. I wasn't bashing their cooker I was bashing them not disclosing the truth about the bad that has went on with that brand. I thought they did wrong by not at least acknowledging the bad along with the good.

mikemci
12-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Don't quit your day job unless you are a detective. Because you are dead wrong.

I hope that is the case. If so, welcome aboard. This is a great site!

Rusty Kettle
12-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Just my opinion, this isn't whatever site you went to. So start fresh and forget about it. Everyone is proud of their cookers. Welcome to the Brethren and a new start.

I wouldn't recommend brand bashing but you are free to do so. I will say for the mod team and Phil (BBQChef33 aka Poobah) they are a fair bunch. I have plenty of controversial things I have said or will say but they never mod for content. As long as there are no rule violations they will not moderate. They are fair. So read the rules and abide by them and you will have a good time here.

Again Welcome to the Brethren.

mchar69
12-08-2015, 10:15 PM
To a new guy that is looking for advise
Well, my advice is stay on this site, no one here will intentionally mislead you.
[And build a UDS while you are waiting to spend the big bucks.}

silverfinger
12-08-2015, 10:40 PM

All I know is these fanboys might want to stay out of trouble because I don't think they would do so well in prison :tsk:

viking72
12-09-2015, 05:56 AM
Really, 5 pages of funny looking dudes, all over a broken pellet pooper?

Later,
Doug

Ron_L
12-09-2015, 08:00 AM
In a feeble attempt to keep this somewhat on topic (hey! It's my job :becky:)

My responses below...

Its hard to explain , and no there have been far too many issues it could have been in that time frame. Updates in both product, firmware etc etc. How many other smokers do you list a build date for when you start talking about it?

Pellet cookers are a different animal. Build dates or serial numbers can be important where electronics are involved. So are software, firmware and hardware updates.

I just said it would be easier to look the data up then have me list everything it could be. Then the buyer could make his own call. I wasn't trying to sway him either way.

Understood, but to me deferring to Google has the appearance of Internet-based issues vs. real life issues. Simply taking the time to list what you have experienced rather than what someone else has experienced makes things more credible. I'm not suggesting that you didn't experience the issues (whatever they were), but deferring to Google makes it seem less like personal experience.

The issue I had was people saying there was no problems. To a new guy that is looking for advise I find that pretty underhanded to do. That is not give him both the good, and bad sides of what he was asking about.

It's entirely possible that those folks had no problems. I know quite a few people through here and competitions with Yoder pellet cookers and they have had no major issues (at least that they have discussed).

I started looking at pellets for about a year went to stick burners, and now I have ended up looking at cabinets. I have about 10 to 13 I'm looking at, and now Shirley Fab will also be making them in 16. So I'm in a holding pattern for now.

It's hard to go wrong with a Shirley, but I'm not sure the they have built a cabinet smoker yet. The ones I see on here are all reverse flow offsets with a warming cabinet. If an insulated vertical smoker fits your needs take a look at Spicewine or Humphreys. Both are excellent and both are run by Brethren!

4ever3
12-09-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm not saying you were doing the bashing T, I understand you were pointing something out but the fan boys would have none of it. That's ok, that's what they do. I work with guys that are TICKED that Kyle Bush won the NASCAR championship simply because he drives a Toyota :crazy:

gtr
12-09-2015, 09:55 AM
All I know is these fanboys might want to stay out of trouble because I don't think they would do so well in prison :tsk:

From their perspective they might think they'd be doing great. :shocked:

Free Mr. Tony
12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
In a feeble attempt to keep this somewhat on topic (hey! It's my job :becky:)

My responses below...

This is perfectly said, and all of your rebuttals would play out if you read the original thread on the other site. There was no fanboy stuff. It was simply a few people pointing out that their particular units worked fine, and him blowing it way out of proportion. He seems to fancy himself somewhat of an "Internet scholar", and from past posts I don't believe he had ever owned a smoker period let alone the brand in question.

Hog1990
12-09-2015, 10:24 AM
I think it would be wrong to say that every Yoder has an issue. I have owned several. I have had issues with a couple but not all. So, for you to assume that every one has an issue is a little like a "Hate Boy".

By the way, my issues were:
Welded hinges broke on 640. Solution, they changed all 640's/480's to Stainless Steel Hindges.
In 2015, Yoder changed their paint for the body of the cooker to a glossier black. It tends to peel after the first couple of uses - I think it is a baking issue.

On the 480 I owned and the 1500 I owned, I had zero issues. Does that make me a fan boy to say that?

Fwismoker
12-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Pellet poopers??? I thought this was about twirly temp controllers! When something goes 5 pages without some not really knowing what it's about then ....well it ain't right! :twitch:

Ron_L
12-09-2015, 11:10 AM
This is perfectly said, and all of your rebuttals would play out if you read the original thread on the other site. There was no fanboy stuff. It was simply a few people pointing out that their particular units worked fine, and him blowing it way out of proportion. He seems to fancy himself somewhat of an "Internet scholar", and from past posts I don't believe he had ever owned a smoker period let alone the brand in question.

Thanks for the perspective, but let's not take this personal.

I have enough on my hands in keeping up with this site, so I won't be searching out the thread elsewhere (and I'm 99% sure I know where to look :-D)

Rusty Kettle
12-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Care to share the site he is talking about? I just would like to see what has got him all worked up. Just for my own curiousity. Thanks.

Free Mr. Tony
12-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the perspective, but let's not take this personal.

I have enough on my hands in keeping up with this site, so I won't be searching out the thread elsewhere (and I'm 99% sure I know where to look :-D)

I wasn't involved in any way (I haven't even posted in the other thread) so nothing personal here. He actually seems like a decent guy that just got fired up for some reason. I just thought it was funny that you pretty much hit the nail on the head without even knowing what was said. I was more impressed by the accuracy of your response than any of the content of this or that thread. I have no dog in the fight, nor care what anyone else wants to use for their smoking needs.

Free Mr. Tony
12-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Care to share the site he is talking about? I just would like to see what has got him all worked up. Just for my own curiousity. Thanks.

It's on pelletheads.com in the go ahead and ask section. Something about a used 640. I'd be interested to hear other thoughts as well. I hardly ever get involved in these things and didn't over there either. It just seemed to go off the rails faster than usual so I decided to see what was going on.

Dil950
12-09-2015, 11:36 AM
I saw the original post on the other site. My two cents is just change the approach to get your point across. You raise a valid point to the potential buyer: research the issues to make sure it's worth the risk. But the original post was basically "smoker x has issues. Be careful". When A post like that shows up on a forum for smoker X, people are going to get fired up. Doesn't matter what brand it is. It did get more specific in following posts but I think the damage was done. Might be better to list out what specific issues to keep an eye out first. Then you'll get more objective responses vs just blind defending of the brand.

JohnnyB
12-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I love reading 1 star reviews about successful BBQ joints that involve festive dialogue like: "I drove there 3 times in a row, at least an hour before they closed, and they were SOLD OUT of the brisket every time!" So this somehow means they are deserved of a horrible review, for selling food that is SO good...it sells out. Yeah, got it.

Burnt to a T
12-09-2015, 01:17 PM

That is BS. If you can't admit your brand has had issues, and claim "what problems" like there have been none that is being a fan boy straight up. I stated just look before you buy. I said I have nothing against any smoker, but don't misguide a person just because you have something that hasn't had issues when many others have.

One of the people got a free unit because the original owner had enough he gave it away. I stated if that was such a stand up co they would have made it right with the guy that plopped down the money. The guy that got it free gave a couple old threads, and the funny thing is that poster advice of the exact same thing I did. Hit, and miss, and buy at your own risk, and the co did little to solve his issue.

I don't currently have a smoker. I will have one as soon as I can muddle through the BS. I take my time before I buy. So I do have knowledge, but don nor have had a smoker for a while. I know plenty of people that have knowledge as do I I'm not a pit ace, but not many are.

viking72
12-09-2015, 01:33 PM
All this noise about a nonexistent broken pellet pooper! that fan is broken.

Later,
Doug

deepsouth
12-09-2015, 01:40 PM
You can trash a person or their politics, but FFS, don't trash their cooker. That is verboten.

rickv14623
12-09-2015, 01:46 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/540/658/5e8.jpg

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 01:48 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/540/658/5e8.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpqx459FNj1qaaqmq.png

Burnt to a T
12-09-2015, 01:49 PM
what has that horse done to you?

gtr
12-09-2015, 01:50 PM
For anybody who wants more of this type thing (I wish I had time in my life for discussing internet product reviews - but I'd do something else with that time), go to Amazon product reviews and read what the Vitamix and Blendtec users have to say - you'll see what's really dividing this country is what is the best way to make a smoothie. :shocked:

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Blendtec !!!!!!!!

Vitamix is too tall, and overrated. Blendtec has the WildSide pitcher - put that in your pipe and smoke it Jan Muller

Burnt to a T
12-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Ninja its built like a Tank

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 02:47 PM

That type of silliness must be a TOS violation... just wait until Mr. Pickle comes back in this thread, then you will be in trouble mister!

Bob C Cue
12-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Margaritaville frozen concoction maker rules.

bproffer
12-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Aren't we all fan boys in one way or another? Most bag on pellet poopers because they don't produce enough smoke and it is somehow "cheating" to use a pellet smoker. Stickburners are passionate about their smokers because it is a "real bbq." Eggheads are passionate about their cookers as are PBC owners and UDS smokers. How many times have we heard "Just build a UDS"? In general we are all passionate about the cookers we use no matter the type of smoker it is and if you like it, you have every right to defend them, especially against people who have no first hand experience with said cookers and just regurgitate things they have read on the internet.

One thing I have noticed, in real life and on the internet, is that the majority of the time you only hear the negative. People who have problems with their (insert product here) are usually the most vocal. I would say that for every 1 person that has an issue with the product, there are many more that have never had issues. I have catered many events and usually get rave reviews, but it only takes one person to get a burnt/undercooked/or whatever piece of chicken to spoil your good rep. People always remember and talk about bad experiences.

The brand in question, Yoder, had some growing pains, but all manufacturers have their issues. I have owned many pellet poopers and although not perfect, I found that my Yoder was by far the most versatile in terms of grilling/smoking and delivered the best results of any of my pellet smokers. It was a fuel hog, but I knew that going in. I did not experience any of the known issues that others were having with their controllers at the time. I did end up upgrading the firmware of my controller in the end, but that was only because they had a firmware upgrade available. When the company sent me the upgrade device, they included a new fan for me to install because they had discovered it ran better with two fans. I thought that was pretty good customer service. I have had many more issues with my Traegers and FEC100 than I did with my Yoder, but I would never say they were not quality smokers. I have produced some mighty fine grub on all of them. I will also say that in all my dealings with customer service from all three companies, it was always exemplary service.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is.... Can't we all just get along?

What is it they say about winning an argument on the internet.......?

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 03:51 PM
What is it they say about winning an argument on the internet.......?

I'm sure it is right up there with an un-PC quote from Waiting about being the smartest kid with ...

hogs122
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM
This thread is wearing me out.

OP is in search of his first smoker. OP made statements critical of Yoder on a pellet smoking forum and came across as an internet know-it-all. OP comes here to tell us about it.

How has this thread made it to 7 pages? :confused:

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 04:05 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/36/98/ab/3698aba43dc95c38086ba1e993038730.jpg

bproffer
12-09-2015, 04:08 PM

OP is in search of his first smoker. OP made statements critical of Yoder on a pellet smoking forum and came across as an internet know-it-all. OP comes here to tell us about it.

Because its Wednesday. Nothing good ever happens on a Wednesday.

Burnt to a T
12-09-2015, 04:09 PM

WOW did you Fhark that one up. Next

gtr
12-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Because its Wednesday. Nothing good ever happens on a Wednesday.

Not true. Today is the day I decided it was time to show my kids the Mr. Hanky episode of Southpark. :thumb:

Next.

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Not true. Today is the day I decided it was time to show my kids the Mr. Hanky episode of Southpark. :thumb:.
Hidey Ho :tsk:

or is it Howdy Ho?

Now I'm not gonna get any work done today trying to find out. Thanks a lot Greg...

Ron_L
12-09-2015, 04:24 PM

How do you know how he is built? :rolleyes:

NTTAWWT :becky:

That type of silliness must be a TOS violation... just wait until Mr. Pickle comes back in this thread, then you will be in trouble mister!

Sorry, I was visiting the Ministry of Silly Walks...

http://www.clinicalgaitanalysis.com/art/silywalk.gif

Porcine Perfection
12-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Not true. Today is the day I decided it was time to show my kids the Mr. Hanky episode of Southpark. :thumb:

Next.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jIjbpxhz46Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Rusty Kettle
12-09-2015, 04:33 PM

It's official we all have no real lives! Just saying.

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 04:36 PM
It's official we all have no real lives! Just saying.
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/64516482.jpg

mike-cleveland
12-09-2015, 04:43 PM
So it is decided only stick burners produce BBQ. :-P

Al_T
12-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Wow This ended up clear over hear. I am amazed we really must have struck a cord. I was one of many that were involved over at the other forum. Burnt to a T. I am no fan boy, I am pretty much sure that I don't know even the names of most smoker on the market. I just like to make good BBQ. You kept telling many of us that there was no way that we did not not have problems with our Yoders 640's. Then it became well you are lucky you don't have problems. I was just giving the (buyer) some first hand feedback/experience on the units. Its just amazing to me someone would waste that much time on something they have never owned, used, or possibly ever seen in person. I really not sure why you have such a hard on for Yoder but it really does not make much sense. You are being obsessive about it. Let it go life is to short to be upset all the time. Now I will go sip on some high quality Kentucky Bourbon. I won't mention any brands as I don't want to start a fight.:-D

Burnt to a T
12-09-2015, 04:58 PM
How do you know how he is built? :rolleyes:

NTTAWWT :becky:

Sorry, I was visiting the Ministry of Silly Walks...

http://www.clinicalgaitanalysis.com/art/silywalk.gif

Because Amazon told me so!!! I checked all their reviews, and everyone said it was built like a Tank!!!

http://www.gazingin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Ninja.jpg

hogs122
12-09-2015, 05:12 PM
WOW did you Fhark that one up. Next

Not sure which part is false, but good luck on your smoker search. I assume you have ruled out Yoder by now.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220149

First Hello to the board from a total newb..

Has anyone used one, and if so how did you like it vs a charcoal fed unit? I'm trying to narrow down my search base.

I've been looking at many different types of smokers from pellet to RF to vert off set you name it. This will be my first smoker so I'm new to it all, and trying to take in as much info as possible. The reason I named the Humphrey is because there isn't much info that I have found as far as the pellet base.

I have a wide list of different smokers, and I'm narrowing it down then I will make my call. I think stick burners are out at this point. I was looking at pellet, but also at a few other options. I don't need a total set it, and forget it, but I don't have enough time day to day to stay around a smoker all day long. That's just me, and that's what floats my boat.

I will be cooking for 10 or less people most of the time, but from time to time will have a larger group of people 25-50 so I need to be able to do both, but not have huge expense when I fire it up for smaller groups.

I know this is subjective like a Chevy vs Ford debate, but could people name 3 or 4 of each smoker other than pure wood smokers they would get. I'm looking at charcoal/wood mix and pellet. looking to spend at most $2500, but would rather keep it less than 2K if possible.

For Pellet I narrowed it down to the Yoder YS640, and the Blazin Grid Iron in the second group I have looked at I have Lone Star Assassin, and Humphrey. Let me know what you can give me for info.

By the way I'm looking for low, and slow, and won't be doing comp cooks. Most cooks will be ribs, chicken, butts brisket, and such at first until I get my feet wet.

Rusty Kettle
12-09-2015, 05:28 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/64516482.jpg

I have to ask do you just have a stockpile of photos waiting to use them at just the right moment?

I think you may have even less of a life than the rest of us lol. Just saying.

:caked:

DUBBAGA
12-09-2015, 05:31 PM
I think you may have even less of a life than the rest of us lol. Just saying.

:caked:
http://memecrunch.com/meme/1CRCG/how-did-you-know/image.jpg?w=551&c=1

Burnt to a T
12-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Not sure which part is false, but good luck on your smoker search. I assume you have ruled out Yoder by now.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220149

Actually I haven't ruled out anything yet, but I'm pretty sure I don't want a pellet. I was looking into Humphrey's, but I think for the price jump I would just get a charcoal/wood RF from them. $500 more is not worth it IMO. I think there are more pluses that way then with pellet. I looked at pretty much every pellet smoker, but too much issues with them, and they just have too many moving parts, and no place to buy pellets local, and they need power to run. I will take a bit more mess. I also have been talking with Shirley Fab first about a patio model. I just felt it was more than I wanted, but just asked a few days ago, and they will be doing verts here in 16. So I have to see what they are about. I'm in no hurry.

Not my first, but my first in 20+ years. Easier to say it will be my first. My last one was a hand me down 4 times over?? have no idea what it was other than an old POS offset that I should have never taken. Not that offsets are bad this was just truly a POS. I never got the hang of it.

Nice detective work though you must have a coal in the fire?

deepsouth
12-09-2015, 06:02 PM

Change your view to view more posts per page and the thread gets shorter.

:heh: :wink:

G$
12-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Weird thread.

gtr
12-09-2015, 06:07 PM
I read on the internet that this thread has issues.

SmittyJonz
12-09-2015, 07:26 PM
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/E09941D7-D00A-4E3A-80B8-D7E577321010_zpsmnmzmhug.png (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/E09941D7-D00A-4E3A-80B8-D7E577321010_zpsmnmzmhug.png.html)

SmittyJonz
12-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Now THIS was a Killer thread:

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/6610683/1

4ever3
12-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Monkeys throw poop!

ITBFQ
12-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Not that offsets are bad this was just truly a POS. I never got the hang of it.

Nice detective work though you must have a coal in the fire?

I'll go out on a limb here and say that maybe the smoker never got the hang of you.

Brew-Bq
12-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Morbid curiosity brought me here

Burnt to a T
12-09-2015, 11:26 PM
I'll go out on a limb here and say that maybe the smoker never got the hang of you.

and you would be falling to the ground.

The_Kapn
12-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Just build a UDS :loco:

They are highly rated on the Internet.

TIM

JohnnyB
12-10-2015, 06:55 AM
"Live to fight another day" would probably be the best advice anyone could give to the OP at this point. Saving face won't do any good. No sarcastic or rude tone of voice here, either, just honest advice.

Woody Butthrie
12-10-2015, 07:58 AM
I read on the internet that this thread has issues.

I think it has hinge issues because it doesn't seem to want to close. :heh:

Hog1990
12-10-2015, 09:15 AM
San Dimas HS Football Rules!