PDA

View Full Version : Chuckie finished in a Dutch Oven

Doug Crann
12-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Made a chuckie for my wifes sewing quilds pot luck. Was just under 6 pounds. Gave it a pound an hour indirectly in one of the Eggs. 225* with Mesquite chunk charcoal. Into a Dutch Oven with 4.5oz of Fireball whiskey at 200* for an hour than I bumped it to 250*. Took 12 hours, pulled it at 208*. Fell apart in my hands. Was the most juicy chuckie/pork butt I have ever done. Shredded it and dusted it with my rub.
Couple of questions...maybe observations?

Thought wrapping a piece of meat was supposed to speed things up a bit, time wise. I assumed that the use of a DO was the same as wrapping in foil?

Will using the DO with a pork butt produce the same dripping meat?

If I would have upped the temperature of the Egg when the DO was in use would the time have been reduced? Would the meat have dried out?

The wife hates thick crusty bark. Done this way the bark is very soft and shreds with the meat...the bark is a result of the rub, correct? During the first step can I use a lower temperature so it gets more time "in the smoke"?

This picture is after the meat sat overnight. Wife has it warming up in the crock pot. She added about a third of the juice from the DO back into it...

Mattb82
12-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I can't answer some of those questions but I do know that the bark is a direct result of the rub, interaction between the smoke and the rub, and the temperature you cook at. Wrapping does speed things up, also depends on what you wrap with. I use butcher paper a lot, it speeds it up a little but not like foil because it breathes. The chuck looks good man

quamdar
12-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Did you preheat the DO before putting the meat in? If it was cold I can see that upping the cook time a bit compared to if you would have just wrapped it because that's a lot of mass to get up to temp.

Shagdog
12-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Yes, hotter temps = less time. You barely had the temp of the cooker hotter than the finish temp of the chuckie.. Especially once you have it covered, you can crank that sucker up to 300-350 for a much quicker finish. It will not dry out as long as you keep it covered.

The bark isn't from rub alone. Its from your airflow, smoke, moisture, everything will influence it. Wrapping or covering will usually make a softer bark than leaving naked, as the overall environment is very moist. I would say that you could probably get another hour or 2 uncovered without making the bark too overly crusty, provided it will be wrapped for more than half the cook.

Sounds like it worked well for you. Looks delicious!

fuzzy1626
12-09-2015, 05:43 AM
Making me hungry, lol. Nice job on the chuckie.