PDA

View Full Version : Does lump charcoal go bad?

tbag
12-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Does lump charcoal go bad?

I have 30 bags of primo lump charcoal in the basement but will they go bad after a while? My house is new so the basement is DRY.

Harbormaster
12-08-2015, 06:50 AM
tbag,
At one time I had 1000 lbs of Rancher briquettes in the rafters of my garage. That fuel did not go bad. I don't think lump fuel will go bad either. I would make sure that the bags are not sitting on the concrete floor though. Stack them on a pallet so there is air circulation.
Just my $.02.

mike-cleveland
12-08-2015, 06:56 AM
As long as it stays dry, it is fine.

Bob Wiley
12-08-2015, 07:13 AM
It has a longer shelf life than lutefisk.

Porcine Perfection
12-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Because so many others will want to look it up I will save you the trouble. I had no idea what it was either.

Lutefisk or lutfisk is a traditional dish of some Nordic countries. It is traditionally part of the Swedish julbord. It is made from aged stockfish or dried/salted whitefish and lye. It is gelatinous in texture. Its name literally means "lye fish".

Okie Sawbones
12-08-2015, 01:19 PM
If you even HEAR the name lutefisk, RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

daninnewjersey
12-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Because so many others will want to look it up I will save you the trouble. I had no idea what it was either.

Tosh.O had an episode where they ate an entire can of that stuff....nasty doesn't even come close to describing it.

Harbormaster
12-08-2015, 02:47 PM
To get this thread back on track, I hope we were able to answer your lump storage question tbag.

Now to derail it again!
More lutefisk is consumed in Minnesota and Wisconsin each year than is consumed in Norway.
Until my grandparents passed away lutefisk was a Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter staple. Quality lutefisk, properly prepared can be quite tasty. Some like it rolled in lefse, I like it with riced potatoes and gravy.

Canned lutefisk? You gotta be freakin' kidding me!

smokainmuskoka
12-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Does lump charcoal go bad?.

No, but those of us who use it occasionally do.

Joe Black
12-08-2015, 04:14 PM
I'll agree with that..... Also ditto on putting a pallet under it.

Doug Crann
12-08-2015, 07:37 PM

I had no clue what this was. Almost started gagging when I was reading Wikipedia.....just read it to my wife....ever see a Mexican turn white? Just wondering... have you ever eaten this ummm.....hmmmm....delicacy?

BBQ Freak
12-08-2015, 07:42 PM
just keep it off the concrete floor and it will be fine .

Fwismoker
12-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Its carbon, You could drop it in a barrel of water then dry it out and use it the next day. Hope that helps

Doug Crann
12-08-2015, 08:22 PM
By all means keep it on pallets. We burn pellets for heat in our place. Used to just store the pallets on the ground. Couldn't help but notice the bags directly on the floor didn't burn anything like the bags above them...