PDA

View Full Version : Crutch vs uncrutched butt help

jsmorrow2s
12-07-2015, 09:36 PM
I plan on having my grandparents over tomorrow to have some pulled pork nachos off the PBC. I have always had better then good results using the crutch method and have only had compliments. However, I want to try a different method of not using the good ol foil wrap with extra juices added in. I know most of you probably have tried this method before and was wondering if it's worth while to do so? They haven't had my pork before and I don't want to disappoint.

I know it would probably take more time using this method. Should i hang it until it reaches the temp I would normally wrap it at and then place on the grate? Should I solely cook it on the grate? and if so should I worry about flipping it at all?

I have a feeling that the bark would be better but would i hve to sacrifice some tenderness?

My pbc settles in around 320-330 btw

Thank you for your help in advance

pjtexas1
12-07-2015, 09:40 PM
if this cook is important to you then i would not change a thing. do what you know, get the compliments and practice at another time. just my .02.

Harbormaster
12-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Yep. Do what you have had success with.

FWIW, I never wrap butts while their still cooking. They sit right on the WSM grates and don't get moved until they probe tender.

smokingkettle
12-07-2015, 09:48 PM
While I'd just do what you normally do to get the same great result, pork butt is forgiving, so if you tweak something it probably won't ruin it. But I agree with PJ. If it's important to you keep it as is.

IamMadMan
12-08-2015, 06:05 AM
I agree.....

You can always experiment with a different method when the cook isn't as important as this one. Do what you do best for the moment...

Mattb82
12-08-2015, 06:36 AM
I never wrap on the egg because I use a water pan in there and it stays very humid. I agree with these guys on sticking with what works on this cook.

jsmorrow2s
12-08-2015, 07:37 AM
I think my mind is made up for me. Thank you all!