PDA

View Full Version : How Much Charcoal......

smokingmeats
12-07-2015, 01:56 PM
I have a 22inch WSM. I use the charcoal ring of my old 18 inch WSM. If I fill it, I usually get 4 hours tops of Smoking temps in the 285-260 range. I used a full 18lb bag of Kingsford Briquettes to smoke a 15 lb brisket. I feel like Im burning through fuel. Any help or Thoughts?

Porcine Perfection
12-07-2015, 02:10 PM
I am assuming you are getting this result consistently? Make sure the WSM is sealed. Other than weather (wind, rain and outside temperature), the WSM should keep that temp longer than that even with the smaller ring.

How much charcoal are you using to start with. The 18 ring should hold the whole bag of 18 lbs.. It is not uncommon to use 18 lb. of charcoal for a 15 lb. brisket, but it should burn longer than 4 hours.

smokingmeats
12-07-2015, 02:26 PM
I start with the minion method. So a full ring plus 1/2 chimney of lit coals. This usually takes 1/2 or 1/3 of a 18 lb bag. After 4-5 hours that ring full of coals is about done so I add another 1/3 of the bag. After 3 hours those coals are about out and I add the rest of the bag.

Porcine Perfection
12-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Something isn't making sense here. I use almost a whole 20 lb. bag of KBB filling the ring on my 18 WSM and get 12 hours on my burn. Not sure why it only takes 1/2 or 1/3 of an 18 lb. bag on yours. I will measure my ring when I get home to make sure we are on the same page.

Fwismoker
12-07-2015, 05:22 PM
I can't believe the large amounts of fuel y'all are going through. Never went tbrough near that on the UDS

ITBFQ
12-07-2015, 08:33 PM
1st thought - How are you measuring temps? I'd make sure the thermometer is accurate.

2nd though - Why aren't you using the charcoal ring that came with the 22.5" WSM? The 18.5" charcoal ring was designed to cook in a smoker with quite a bit less volume than the smoker you're using.

Just thinking out loud and trying to help.

Rusty Kettle
12-07-2015, 08:52 PM
1st thought - How are you measuring temps? I'd make sure the thermometer is accurate.

2nd though - Why aren't you using the charcoal ring that came with the 22.5" WSM? The 18.5" charcoal ring was designed to cook in a smoker with quite a bit less volume than the smoker you're using.

Just thinking out loud and trying to help.

Some people think if you use the smaller ring you save fuel. It's a common belief. I believe you just have to refuel more often. On shorter cooks you have less charcoal to burn so you don't throw out as many leftover briquettes. I always prefer fresh charcoal on any cook so there could be a benefit if you want to always start with a fresh batch.

The 22" is a fuel hog. So load it up full of food so that you get your use out of it.

Otherwise consider adding a 14.5" WSM to the line up. It's perfect for smaller cooks and it can do long cooks if you use lump charcoal. I have gone 12 hours on a cook with no ash problems using lump. It's a great smoker. My opinion is the 22" is a bit large for most people. The 14.5" WSM is a work horse and well it can compete with bigger smokers. I have competed with it successfully in backyard competitions.

Fwismoker
12-07-2015, 09:16 PM
I'll say this.... It's worth having different size cookers, use small cooker for small cooks, medium for medium etc... It doesn't make much sense to heat big cookers for small or medium loads. If you like WSM get the 18 and 14" versions also.

blazinfire
12-07-2015, 09:36 PM
I have an 18.5 WSM. I bought 2 18lb bags of Kingsford. There's no way a full bag fits inside my coal ring!! Only about 1/3 of the bag!

robert-r
12-07-2015, 09:51 PM
There has to be something in error with your fire management. 4 hour burn is pretty bad.

18.5 & 14.5 WSM here. I've run the 18.5 for over 15 hours with a full ring of KBB at 260* including 280+* temp spikes.

Try starting your MM with 12 fully lit coals & adjusting bottom vents 20 -30* before your target. Myself... though I don't have a 22.5.... I's start with a full 22" ring of charcoal.

Measure temps at the top grate.

I really don't measure charcoal usage by the bag, however... I don't remember an alarming use of fuel to cook a 17.5 lb brisket nekid (biggest I've done). Took about 15 hours. Had enough coals left for another hour, I'd say.

cheez59
12-08-2015, 06:16 AM
I have an 18.5 WSM. I bought 2 18lb bags of Kingsford. There's no way a full bag fits inside my coal ring!! Only about 1/3 of the bag!
The ring on my 18.5 will barely hold a half of an 18 pound bag and that is if I round it up real high.
I have a hard time imagining burning up a full ring from an 18 in 4 hours no matter how or what you are running it in unless you had a fan or something blowing on it.

Porcine Perfection
12-08-2015, 08:09 AM

The ring on my 18.5 will barely hold a half of an 18 pound bag and that is if I round it up real high.
I have a hard time imagining burning up a full ring from an 18 in 4 hours no matter how or what you are running it in unless you had a fan or something blowing on it.

I will measure my ring when I get home to make sure we are on the same page.

My charcoal ring is 14" diameter by 5" tall. I can fit about 3/4 of a 20lb. bag of KBB. Both of my 18 WSMs are pretty old. Have they changed the size of the ring?