PDA

View Full Version : Kosher Turkey?

mrwhale
12-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Every once in while my local grocery has kosher bone-in turkey breast on sale. From a little internet research I have learned that these birds are salted as part of the process. Is it still beneficial to brine a kosher turkey or is it like an enhanced turkey?

JS-TX
12-07-2015, 04:10 PM
If it's salt applied to the outside, I would say it's ok to brine, but not too heavily though. If it's injected or brined, then no other brine needed.

qman
12-07-2015, 06:06 PM
I used to buy the Kosher turkey breasts and the Kosher chicken breasts all the time. I found they did not need any more bribing. I think [but am not sure] that the ones I bought were wet brined. It should say on the package if there is a solution added-if so that means wet brined or injected.

jfletcherMD
12-07-2015, 06:15 PM
A quick Google search on the issue led me to this...

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/116653/to-brine-or-not-to-brine

So, as with all things barbecue, the answer appears to be "it depends..." If you're looking to use a brine to add salt and moisture to the meat, your answer is probably "no." If, however, you're using a brine full of fruit and aromatics to add different flavors to the meat, then your answer might be "yes."

Sounds like some experimentation might be in order!

qman
12-07-2015, 06:31 PM
A quick Google search on the issue led me to this...

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/116653/to-brine-or-not-to-brine

So, as with all things barbecue, the answer appears to be "it depends..." If you're looking to use a brine to add salt and moisture to the meat, your answer is probably "no." If, however, you're using a brine full of fruit and aromatics to add different flavors to the meat, then your answer might be "yes."

Sounds like some experimentation might be in order!

I am sure this is most likely true. I only brine to add moisture to poultry, so if it is already brined I will not re-brine. As you say, your millage may varyl

mrwhale
12-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks! You make an excellent point regarding adding flavor v. moisture. From some additional research it appears the salt is applied to the exterior of the birds so it is similar to a dry brine.