PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Cure Question

JonP
12-07-2015, 01:06 PM
New to curing bacon and Im only on 2nd batch

Bacon cure question : day 4 and i flipped pork belly this am 5 of 6 feel firm, one only half feels firm. Other half feels soft. Still ok?

MisterChrister
12-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Yep, it'll firm up as it continues curing. Just stay the course.

Wood Fire Steel
12-07-2015, 01:52 PM
4 days seems a bit soon to me. I usually go 7-10days assuming it is a dry cure and not a bribe.

Wood Fire Steel
12-07-2015, 01:55 PM
*brine not bride

IamMadMan
12-07-2015, 03:01 PM
If you have the proper curing ratio, it should be 1 day for every 1/4' measured from the thickest part to the center. The reason to measure from the center is because it is being cured from both sides. So a three inch thick piece of bacon measures 1.5 inches from the center. So that would be (1.5 X 4 = 6) six days (not counting the day you start) for the cure. With a dry cure it is almost impossible to over cure and get nitrite burn, so a you have a safety buffer of a day or two if you wanted to go a couple extra days and be on the safe side.

The only exception to this would be if you are curing bacon with the skin still on, the cure will not penetrate the skin, so calculate using the total thickness, not from the center point. So a three inch piece of bacon with the skin intact will take 12 days to cure.

JonP
12-07-2015, 03:11 PM
If you have the proper curing ratio, it should be 1 day for every 1/4' measured from the thickest part to the center. The reason to measure from the center is because it is being cured from both sides. So a three inch thick piece of bacon measures 1.5 inches from the center. So that would be (1.5 X 4 = 6) six days (not counting the day you start) for the cure. With a dry cure it is almost impossible to over cure and get nitrite burn, so a you have a safety buffer of a day or two if you wanted to go a couple extra days and be on the safe side.

The only exception to this would be if you are curing bacon with the skin still on, the cure will not penetrate the skin, so calculate using the total thickness, not from the center point. So a three inch piece of bacon with the skin intact will take 12 days to cure.

Thanks, yes I'm curing with skin on as it was super easy last time to remove after I smoked. I used this recipe for dry cure

1000 grams.

Prague Powder x .0025
Salt x.03
Sugar x .0125

Yes plan is to go only 7 days, but like I said only one of the bellies was firm only on one half. I'll stay the course and keep it going up to 10 days if she doesnt firm up.

Doug Crann
12-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Pretty new to bacon making myself....disclaimer out of the way...I prefer dry brine. 1 Tbs of Tender Quick and 1 Tbs of brown sugar per pound of belly. 14 days in the bag, rubbing/turning over twice daily. Quick rinse prior to test fry...0 salt taste. Wet cures, least in my VERY LIMITED experience take way to long for the meat to dry out and form a sticky skin....

mchar69
12-07-2015, 06:53 PM
move those pieces around in the slush
and flip them each day. WORK IT, baby!

mchar69
12-07-2015, 06:54 PM
14 days in the bag, rubbing/turning over twice daily.Might get some feedback - do you rinse it after?
Mine always is too salty -

mchar69
12-07-2015, 06:56 PM
way to long for the meat to dry out and form a sticky skin..
Pellicle, and you can do this in your fridge or with fans..

c farmer
12-07-2015, 07:10 PM
I have found that firmness isn't a good indicator of being cured.

Just go by the time needed.

Doug Crann
12-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Might get some feedback - do you rinse it after?
Mine always is too salty -
Just a good rinse.
Pellicle, and you can do this in your fridge or with fans..

They "wet" stuff takes a lot longer, at least for me, to get the pellicle formed than the "dry" stuff. Can get a pellicle formed on the dry stuff in 30 minutes in front of a fan. Wet stuff takes a few hours....and I need to flip it several times. The longer it sits in front of a fan on the table the more interested our 5 dogs get.
Pellicle....could not remember how it was spelled so my phone couldn't help me...:tsk:

luv2smoke
12-15-2015, 10:54 PM

If I'm understanding this right a 2" belly measuring 1" from the center to the outside would need only 4 days curing time?

captndan
12-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Look at Thirdeye's site. Works for me. And everybody knows I make the best bacon around.

Leftwngr
12-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Stick to madman's plan. More important than firmness is smell. If you put the time in and it smells fresh after the cure period then you're good.

If you pick up an off scent, chuck it.

Doug Crann
12-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Might want to get this book....

robinfresno
12-16-2015, 11:08 AM
If your bacon is too salty soak it in water after cure before smoke for 4 hours total in two hour increments; so soak for 2 hours, rinse, soak for 2 more hours, rinse, dry in fridge or in front of fans and then smoke.

Fry a test slice after rinsing when done curing before drying and smoking to see if it needs to soak. Test bacon is the best bacon as you can cook it any time of day and justify it to your significant other.

I've found that bacon needs a rinse when the total salt in the cure is 2.75% or higher; so 2.5% of salt + .25% of cure#1 would be 2.75% of total salt. Keep the amount of cure #1 at .25% by weight and drop the salt to 1.75%-2.25% for a cure that won't need soaking and will be fine with just a rinse before drying and smoking.

Everything I just posted above I've learned from different threads on this site and the salted pork/sausage debauchery fb groups; really great resources.