PDA

View Full Version : 24x60 or 30x60

Thatgrimguy
12-07-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm getting really close to finalizing my build and the Shirleys getting started.

I'm down to a couple last details. I'm planning on doing a Straigh back design with 3 equal sized racks. I'm debating on whether I should go 30x60 or 24x60.

I started doing some math and realized that a 24x60 will give me a 23x48 ish rack.. and I have 3 racks. That's more than 6 times the capacity of my XL egg or UDS and I can make what I have now work, it's just a pain. So the 24 is plenty big enough on straight capacity. But will the extra depth give me other benefits I haven't considered. Like maybe making a hog easier to fit or something?

Ol'Joe
12-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Building a cooker is like building a shed, you always want one bigger later, I'd go for the biggest one you can handle

FireChief
12-07-2015, 09:34 AM
You've probably heard it before and I will reiterate...figure out how big you want then get a size bigger. I went with a 24"x48" pit and although I love it wish I had gone bigger. I was convinced at the time that it was already too big !

You can always deal with excess space but you can't make the pit bigger those times you need it. Good luck whichever route you go.

Thatgrimguy
12-07-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm just worried that I'm already a couple sizes bigger than I can make use of. 3 24x48 racks and 3 22x22 racks in the vertical is a **** ton of space.

BBQ Freak
12-07-2015, 09:44 AM
I would get the 24 and spend the money elsewhere , with the 30 you would probably haft to get the wider trailer too wouldn't you ?

cholloway
12-07-2015, 09:50 AM
It's like boiling crawfish... When you think you've added enough cayenne pepper, double it.
Go for the larger.

Wait. If this is just for backyard cooks, the 24 should be plenty big enough. If you often cook for groups go for the 30.

palmtreefrb
12-07-2015, 09:57 AM
What's the difference in cost?

Thatgrimguy
12-07-2015, 10:00 AM
What's the difference in cost?

Insignificant to me. A couple hundred bucks, but in the grand scheme of this trailer it's not a big deal.

I'm really more worried about how big the trailer is and how hard it is to move by hand at competitions. And, I really don't want it so big that I don't feel it's worth firing up for a rack of ribs. I got the insulated fire box to help with fuel consumption so hopefully that will help with that concern.

BBQ Freak
12-07-2015, 10:06 AM
as long as you put a wheel on the trailer jack it if moveable as long if there is no incline of the ground , these units are vey heavy and been through this problem .

pjtexas1
12-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Everyone is going to say go big or go home but they don't have to buy the fuel to heat up a beast to cook 1 brisket or a couple pork butts. I went thru the same thing. Talked myself out of the 30 and then had to talk myself out of the 24x70. 24x49 should be your rack sizes. Multiply that by 3 and that's a ton of space. Think about your typical cook and then your biggest. Then add a little to the biggest. My biggest was 8 briskets. I can probably get those on 1 rack or 6 on 1 rack and 2 on another rack. It's very easy to go crazy. You are the only one that knows how you cook. It's a balance between too big to run small cooks and 2 small for a big a$$ cook. It would suck to not use it because it's too much fuel for 80% of your cooks and it also sucks to need a bigger one after a year or 2. The decision is almost a form of torture, self inflicted torture.:heh:

FireChief
12-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Insignificant to me. A couple hundred bucks, but in the grand scheme of this trailer it's not a big deal.

I'm really more worried about how big the trailer is and how hard it is to move by hand at competitions. And, I really don't want it so big that I don't feel it's worth firing up for a rack of ribs. I got the insulated fire box to help with fuel consumption so hopefully that will help with that concern.

I have no qualms firing up my pit for one rack of ribs or 50lbs of meat but that's just me. If that is a concern of yours you may wanna go smaller. In the end go with your gut and don't look back. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

Shagdog
12-07-2015, 10:30 AM
I would say that unless you're catering or cooking really big events, the 24x60 will be fine for you. If you think it's too small, I would add a fourth shelf and make the chamber a little taller. A 30" is huge, and you will really feel the difference in how much wood you use. I imagine the 30 would be a fuel hog

BBQ Freak
12-07-2015, 10:35 AM
also do not forget that you can cook a lot of meat in the warmer box alone too . you will be happy either way and congrats on your new Shirley and my day is coming soon too .

pjtexas1
12-07-2015, 01:14 PM
look up some of buttburners cooks. he has the 24x60 regular cabinet with 2 racks. he cooks some really big cooks for veterans and troops. if you can envision cooks like that then maybe the 30" would be better.

here is my 24x55 at the fall bash. everything was in pans so that took up a lot of extra space. i can fit 4 pans on 1 rack. 1 rack of beef short ribs, 1 15LB brisket, 4 fatties, 1 8LB butt, 5LBS of sausage and 1 rack of pork spare ribs. without pans that stuff would have all fit on 1 rack. the racks in the pans were also elevated by foil balls so the meat would sit higher and get more smoke. that is a big cook for me besides the 2-3 times per year when i get someone wanting 6-8 briskets. i do not fire up the Shirley for a rack of ribs or a chicken (well i did when i first got it because i was cooking EVERYTHING on it). i will fire it up for a brisket though. does anyone else have pics of food on their 24 or 30 so grim can get an idea of capacity?

akoda
12-07-2015, 01:30 PM
I'd consider the thickness of the metal for each. I believe the 24" is 3/8ths and the 30" is 1/4. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :)

ebijack
12-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Here's a photo of Buttburner's 24X65.
Remember, if you cook in inclement weather, you need a lot of the warmer box room for keeping splits in to pre-warm and keep out of snow/rain.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/905/0SwVrm.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p50SwVrmj)

pjtexas1
12-07-2015, 01:41 PM
I'd consider the thickness of the metal for each. I believe the 24" is 3/8ths and the 30" is 1/4. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :)

Straight backs are 1/4" except for the curved piece at the bottom. That is 3/8". I think. :becky:

Hotch
12-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Brother Grim I was at the Fall Bash with PJ. I took my deep fryer.
His Shirley was the Star of the show. Plenty of room. If fact I am thinking of one myself instead of a vertical cabinet. Depending on what you cook at your comps, I would think the 24" with the warming cabinet will do the trick. But I can hear Scottie, Go big or go home!!!

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b551/hotchvb/Fall%2010-17-2015%20Texas%20Brethren%20Bash/2015-10-17%20001_zpsewfjnait.jpg
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b551/hotchvb/Fall%2010-17-2015%20Texas%20Brethren%20Bash/2015-10-17%20004_zpsnlfzs4jr.jpg
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b551/hotchvb/Fall%2010-17-2015%20Texas%20Brethren%20Bash/2015-10-17%20022_zpssxbsgmkv.jpg

smokerpa
12-07-2015, 01:57 PM
I have a 24x60. You can see it in my picture. I debated over a lot of things. I do a lot of big cooks for family and friends. I initially was at a 24x50. When I really thought about it, the extra width allowed for a larger pig. That was the only reason I even went to a 60.

When you say tossing on a rack of ribs, that is where your warmer comes in. Not the actual main chamber.

When everyone around here talks about going bigger and you wish you would have, I don't always buy into that theory. The fact that you are debating between a 24 and 30 means that you can't justify in your mind the 30 at this point in time. You are worried about wishing you had it later, but somehow can't see how to use it now.

Shagdog hit the nail on the head as well. Unless you are doing some catering or larger events like Buttburner, the 24 will be enough. If you do whole hog, the 30 would be nice for that if you did a lot, but I can do a 100lb pig racer style in my 24x60.

When you look at PJTexas pic of his cookout with those losers who pay .99$/lb for brisket, that is how I cook a lot of my meals as well. I do the sides with the main meat selection. Meats on the top and sides on the bottom in full pans. I think he best demonstrates the realistic space you might need.

Just my opinion though.

TuscaloosaQ
12-07-2015, 02:39 PM

Remember you can always get the 3rd shelf... Tell tyler you want the elevated cabinet... If you go
that route... U r correct on thickness

Jason TQ
12-07-2015, 03:18 PM
The smaller cooks is where the warmer comes into play. Main chamber won't rip at 300 with the same amount of sticks that smaller chamber cookers. So you will burn more fuel there, but that warmer would still burn hot with less fuel in theory since opening the damper from the firebox to warmer is pretty direct heat (other than the baffle).

I've questioned additional fuel consumption and if I need the space of what will be my 30x70 elevated cabinet straight back. I've come to the conclusion that it will burn more wood and I don't need the extra space for 99% of my cooks..............but I'm still getting it because fuel in my mind is cheap and because I want a bigger cooker :-D. That warmer give you so many options for cooking.

Long story short I vote larger. That 24 going to 30 might be nice (especially if the cost is nominal).................If overall trailer size is a concern they can probably still put that cooker to fit total size specs to fit into a garage or wherever.

hogs122
12-07-2015, 03:44 PM
I think the post from PJ down below is the best advice in the thread, fwiw. My insulated cabinet has 24" deep racks and I can't really see needing anything deeper. But, it's all about what you plan on being your biggest cook I can easily fit 4 butts on each of my 24" x 24" racks.

Everyone is going to say go big or go home but they don't have to buy the fuel to heat up a beast to cook 1 brisket or a couple pork butts. I went thru the same thing. Talked myself out of the 30 and then had to talk myself out of the 24x70. 24x49 should be your rack sizes. Multiply that by 3 and that's a ton of space. Think about your typical cook and then your biggest. Then add a little to the biggest. My biggest was 8 briskets. I can probably get those on 1 rack or 6 on 1 rack and 2 on another rack. It's very easy to go crazy. You are the only one that knows how you cook. It's a balance between too big to run small cooks and 2 small for a big a$$ cook. It would suck to not use it because it's too much fuel for 80% of your cooks and it also sucks to need a bigger one after a year or 2. The decision is almost a form of torture, self inflicted torture.:heh:

oifmarine2003
12-07-2015, 03:53 PM
I have the 24x60 with 3 racks and there is so much room in there. I would think the 30 would be overkill. Mine would probably hold 30 butts at a minimum.

Doog
12-07-2015, 06:17 PM
I'm not really sure what your plans are for your smoker. Just cooking for family & friends or getting into bigger things with it. Also how good of wood supply do you have?
I am going to mess you up here, How about a 24 x 65 or if going 30 just get the 30 x 60
ewchippe has a 24x65 in the classified adds take a look at that for size...to me that seem like a nice size.
I like the theory if you fill it up they will come.
Best of luck with your build!!!

Happy Hapgood
12-07-2015, 06:34 PM
I faced the same dilemma when buying a flat screen TV. I've never heard anyone say "Gee, I wish I would have bought a smaller one but have heard lot's of folks regret not buying a bigger one.

I would have a smaller rig for smaller cooks like a WSM etc. but fire that rig up and enjoy the elbow room. Depends on your application though.

tcv21
12-07-2015, 07:01 PM
I was at the Shirley facility yesterday and can tell you to get the largest that you can afford or fit. My last 2 cookers have been 60". After looking at the size of my cooks and comps, I went with the 30x88 cabinet cooker. Knowing both Paul and Tyler personally, I can tell you that it will not be a mistake and that they stand behind their product. Personally, the quality is what hooked me and the customer service that you will get before, during and after the sale. The pics below are what they had finished.. not what I have ordered. Here are some pics that I took yesterday. Beautiful welds.

pjtexas1
12-07-2015, 07:02 PM
I faced the same dilemma when buying a flat screen TV. I've never heard anyone say "Gee, I wish I would have bought a smaller one but have heard lot's of folks regret not buying a bigger one.

I would have a smaller rig for smaller cooks like a WSM etc. but fire that rig up and enjoy the elbow room. Depends on your application though.

With a TV I would agree on bigger. But you don't turn a TV on and just watch 10%of the screen.:laugh: And yes, I wish I had bought a bigger tv.:tsk:

Big Ron
12-07-2015, 07:10 PM
My trailer smoker is approx 24x60 and here is a video of a whole hog cook I did a few years ago. I think 30" might be too big unless you are catering very often and need the capacity. Hope this helps

https://youtu.be/yBs1GnmADZ8

Thatgrimguy
12-07-2015, 07:50 PM
I have never catered anything and will probably never cook for more than 200. I do KCBS style comps and that's the largest cooks I have done so far. I want to do a hog once a year or less. I do want to do some charity cooks, but realistically those will be for 100 people or less.

The 24x65 would let me put 4 pans in IIII instead of ==. I probably only "need" a Jambo sized pit to start with...

On the TV... I actually DO wish my TV was smaller. It's awkward to look at in the size room I have. I ALWAYS overdo things. I'm

Ag76
12-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Remember you can always get the 3rd shelf... Tell tyler you want the elevated cabinet... If you go
that route... U r correct on thickness

Why is the 24" (3/8" thick) thicker than the 30" (1/4" thick)? Just curious.

Thatgrimguy
12-07-2015, 08:01 PM
What are the size of the racks in the vertical in a 24 vs a 30 I wonder. @pjtexas1 what size are the racks in your vertical?

htrisna
12-07-2015, 08:08 PM
... with those losers who pay .99$/lb for brisket,

Everything else past that sentence was a blurrr to me ...

😂

Come on down and join us brother ... .99 select means $1.99 Choice, means $2.99 Prime!! Winning 🎉🎉🎉

smokerpa
12-07-2015, 08:11 PM

😂

Come on down and join us brother ... .99 select means $1.99 Choice, means $2.99 Prime!! Winning 🎉🎉🎉

Hahahaha.

I love Texas. Been there a couple of times. I would move in a heartbeat to Texas for a lot of reasons. I have this thing called a wife though.

Sorry for hijack, I'm done.

Hotch
12-07-2015, 08:13 PM

😂

Rodger that! :thumb:

pjtexas1
12-07-2015, 08:23 PM
What are the size of the racks in the vertical in a 24 vs a 30 I wonder. @pjtexas1 what size are the racks in your vertical?
20x20 and a full hotel pan will fit. you can get the warmer elevated and add a 4th rack.
i really could have sworn the regular round part of the 24" was 3/8" but the straight/flat pieces were 1/4" based on the videos i have watched over and over. they get the 3/8 pipe at a decent price so they use it. kind of just how they operate.:clap2:
Hahahaha.

I love Texas. Been there a couple of times. I would move in a heartbeat to Texas for a lot of reasons. I have this thing called a wife though.

Sorry for hijack, I'm done.

c'mon...we love a good hijack and that was a good one:thumb:

Doog
12-08-2015, 05:57 AM
I have never catered anything and will probably never cook for more than 200. I do KCBS style comps and that's the largest cooks I have done so far. I want to do a hog once a year or less. I do want to do some charity cooks, but realistically those will be for 100 people or less.

The 24x65 would let me put 4 pans in IIII instead of ==. I probably only "need" a Jambo sized pit to start with...

On the TV... I actually DO wish my TV was smaller. It's awkward to look at in the size room I have. I ALWAYS overdo things. I'm

If your planning on doing charity cooks it would be nice to have some room to spread out. I recently upgraded to Lang 84 and the room is really nice. Paul & Tyler can build you what you want and there are so many choices. But go a little bigger than you think you need.

TuscaloosaQ
12-08-2015, 06:19 AM

Due to cost and weight.... 3/8 plate steel is quiet a bit higher than 1/4... Plus the weight factor comes in... Then when you do corner to corner fit to weld... You have twice the amount of filler metal.. Or at a minimum gave to make 2 passes which equates to more welding gas... More wire welding wire.... More labor... And you do not get enough bang for the buck.....

Thatgrimguy
01-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Thank you all for the advice! I went with a 24x65 with 4 racks. Should be way more space than I need. Tyler is starting it now.

tcv21
01-06-2016, 06:52 PM
How long did you have to be on the waitlist?

Thank you all for the advice! I went with a 24x65 with 4 racks. Should be way more space than I need. Tyler is starting it now.

Thatgrimguy
01-06-2016, 06:54 PM
How long did you have to be on the waitlist?

I've been on since early last Summer. I'm doing a fundraiser on Fat Tuesday (Feb 9) to help support the Child Abuse Prevention Center and they are helping me get the cooker in time to do that.

sylntghost
01-06-2016, 07:04 PM
I went with a 24x75 straight back model with 3 greats 7 inches apart.the greats are 63 inches long.i had no idea when I ordered it just how big that was.i saw a 30 inch when I picked mine up.that was a monster.i would not want to have to feed a 30 inch.

Jason TQ
01-06-2016, 07:07 PM
I went with a 24x75 straight back model with 3 greats 7 inches apart.the greats are 63 inches long.i had no idea when I ordered it just how big that was.i saw a 30 inch when I picked mine up.that was a monster.i would not want to have to feed a 30 inch.

I can't wait to feed my moster :becky::clap2:. Plus for smaller cooks that is what the warmer is for :crazy:

mikemci
01-06-2016, 07:21 PM
You're kidding......right?:crazy:

sylntghost
01-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I can't wait to feed my moster :becky::clap2:. Plus for smaller cooks that is what the warmer is for :crazy:
I can't wait to cook on mine also.it has rained almost every day since I brought it home.60% chance this weekend also

revkab
01-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Go bigger! It's not just about how many racks of ribs you can fit, it's also about what goes on inside the cooking chamber. It is my opinion that having more space for the smoke and heat to circulate in makes for a nicer smoke, with greater control. My "other" offset is a little 16" diameter Brinkman Cimmaron. Good cooker, but with the smaller CC, the smoke and heat is much more intense. Still cooks great ribs! But the bigger offset with the larger CC always produces better results.

I'm getting really close to finalizing my build and the Shirleys getting started.

I'm down to a couple last details. I'm planning on doing a Straigh back design with 3 equal sized racks. I'm debating on whether I should go 30x60 or 24x60.

I started doing some math and realized that a 24x60 will give me a 23x48 ish rack.. and I have 3 racks. That's more than 6 times the capacity of my XL egg or UDS and I can make what I have now work, it's just a pain. So the 24 is plenty big enough on straight capacity. But will the extra depth give me other benefits I haven't considered. Like maybe making a hog easier to fit or something?

vraknari
01-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Wow. I can't wait to see your pit on video and in pictures.
Best of luck!!

pjtexas1
01-08-2016, 09:28 AM

how tall is your cook chamber? that layout is really nice. i don't know if i have ever seen a SF with all that on the trailer. i guess i will no longer be the only one with 4 racks.:sad: