PDA

View Full Version : Tired of BBQ beans....

Doug Crann
12-06-2015, 10:48 PM
.....make them once every ten days or so. Made some today, same as usual. Bush Beans, think they are baked. Half cop of molasses, onions, green onions, cilantro, some bacon and half a shot glass of my home brewed rub. Cook them in the Egg. Add a couple hits of beer if they render to far. Just seem like they are bland. Hmmm...

Any suggestions?

blazinfire
12-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Switch to Mac and Cheese :thumb:

retired trucker
12-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Try adding two or three tablespoons of prepared mustard. Your recipe sounds a lot like mine, except I use brown sugar instead of molasses. The mustard will give it a flavor kick and help separate the other ingredients flavor profile. Much like salt does in bringing out flavors.

MMM! makes me want to fire up a pot of beans. Haven't made any in quite a while.

Omar

Smoke on Badger Mountain
12-06-2015, 11:19 PM
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney bean
1lb bacon
1/2 white onion
1 red pepper
1, yellow pepper
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp brown mustard
16 oz favorite bbq sauce.

Smoke with hickory for 3 hrs

Texmex01
12-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Jalapenos for the win!:-D

lionhrt
12-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Try adding a pinch of cyanne, some mustard and some of chopped up pulled pork leftovers

gtr
12-07-2015, 12:31 AM
Have you tried Keri's Hog Apple Beans? People lose their minds over this stuff. In all honesty, I've made them so much I'd like to make something else, but when we have parties I'm afraid I'll be drawn and quartered if I don't serve these.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=423407&postcount=9

This is one of the most universally loved dishes I have ever seen. What's cool is there is room for variation - what kind of meat you use, if you use fatties, what kind of sausage, rub, sauce, etc. & basically no matter what you do it turns out great - just different kinds of great. I let mine sit in the smoker as long as I can, usually with something beefy or porky dripping into them - like brisket, pulled pork, home made bacon I'm smoking, etc.

nmeyer414
12-07-2015, 12:35 AM
skip the molasses and try some mustard, brown sugar and a little bit of syrup.

Phubar
12-07-2015, 05:50 AM
I'm with GTR.
I think it's a winner recipe...even people who don't really like beans go nuts for it.
Plus it got me 2nd place during a comp 3 years ago.

IamMadMan
12-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Don't forget Wampus Award Winning" Peach Bourbon Baked Beans

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1689719&postcount=1

cpw
12-07-2015, 07:34 AM
I like making the hog-apple beans with macerated peaches instead of the apples. Makes them a little more tart, and there's a little bit more crunch.

Either way though, can't go wrong with Hog apple or Wampus' peach beans.

Brew-Bq
12-07-2015, 09:57 AM
I notice most people use canned beans. I would suggest making your own. Its so easy and the flavor and texture are so much better. Throw em in a crockpot w some stock, spices and whatever else and set and forget. Even one slice of raw bacon in a pot will really give it a nice flavor to go with the spices.

Doug Crann
12-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the comments...have some questions just no time right now....

SmittyJonz
12-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Don't forget Wampus Award Winning" Peach Bourbon Baked Beans

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1689719&postcount=1

:eusa_clap

aawa
12-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Wampus beans will definitely perk you back up. I don't like bbq beans, but these I actually love.

captndan
12-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Switch to pinto's. Whole new world out there in pinto land.

Okie Sawbones
12-07-2015, 12:33 PM
I serve these at every family gathering. The pan is licked clean.

Modified Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (27 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked brisket
1 can apple pie filling, pieces somewhat chopped up
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbs. Yellow Mustard
2 tsps. Chipotle powder
1 tsp. Smokin’ Guns Sweet Heat rub (or your favorite de jour)
Brown bacon, and sauté onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Smoke at 325 for 1 hour. Serves 12.

BBQ Freak
12-07-2015, 12:41 PM
my wife likes them with some dried mustard and small chunk pineapple in them

LYU370
12-07-2015, 02:00 PM
I do a variation of Myron Mixon's Peach beans

5 - 15oz cans of beans (one each black, pinto, white, red, pink)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper chopped (red, green, yellow, whatever)
1 - 2 Jalapeno's, diced (depends on how big they are and how spicy you like your beans)
6 strips of bacon, chopped (I omit sometimes if I'm out of bacon. Doesn't happen too often though.)
1 28oz can peaches in heavy syrup, diced (add in the syrup as well)
1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce
1/4 cup of your favorite rub
1/4 cup Bourbon (One of those things that just happened)

Sometimes I'll also add left over brisket or PP.

Throw everything into a 1/2 pan, mix it all up and into the smoker for about 3 hours. Stir every 1/2 hour of so.

Kyle Serlington
12-07-2015, 06:00 PM
pineapple and root beer are great additions to baked beans!

IamMadMan
12-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Found these in the archives

Back in the days of cowboys and cattle drives, the ranch cook and cattle team cook played an important role and wielded enormous power. Because the cook determined whether a cowboy received a decent meal after a hard day of wrangling cattle, cowboys were always on their best behavior with the cook. Not even the lawmen of the day could get such good behavior from cowboys.

In honor of the old Western ranch cook, we present four authentic cowboy recipes that you can fix next time you want to harness your inner John Wayne. Enjoy.
Cowboy Beans

2 pounds of pinto beans
2 pounds of ham hock
2 onions chopped
4 tablespoons sugar
2 green chilies
1 can of tomato paste

Wash the beans and soak them overnight. After you drain them, place the beans in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the beans are nice and tender.
Sourdough Biscuits

Santa Maria Style Pinquito Beans

1 lb Pinquito beans
2 strips diced bacon
1/2 cup diced ham
1 small clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup red chili sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard

DIRECTIONS: Pick over beans
to remove dirt and small
stones; cover with water and
let soak overnight in a large
container. Drain, cover with
fresh water and simmer 2
hours or until tender. Sauté
bacon and ham until lightly
browned; add garlic, sauté a
minute or two longer, then
add tomato puree, chili
sauce, sugar, mustard, and
salt. Drain most of liquid off
beans and stir in sauce. Keep
hot over low heat until ready
to serve.

RevZiLLa
12-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Jalapenos for the win!:-D

Gotta add them!

Estol Riddle
12-08-2015, 06:16 PM
This a recipe that has been my go to bean recipe for several years. If I remember correctly it is compilation of a couple of recipes or a modified version of one, so let me say upfront, I don't mean to claim this as one I created. My wife came up with the name of the recipe below and that is what it is called at our house. Everyone loves it >

Estol's Sooie-Sweet Baked Beans

1 lb Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage
3-4 Slices Bacon
1 med. Chopped Onion
1/2 Green Pepper Chopped
2- 28oz. cans Busch's Baked Beans Honey Style
1/2 cup KC Masterpiece Original
1 Can "no sugar added" Apple Pie Filling (Chopped )
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 TBSP Wooster Sauce
2 TBSP prepared Mustard
1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder +- to taste

Brown sausage,set aside.Brown bacon,remove bacon from pan and saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake covered at 325 for for 45 min. then uncover and cook to desired thickness. Would work great on the BGE or oven.

Wornslick
12-08-2015, 07:21 PM
When we get tired of baked beans I cook the following, quick and easy....

Cut up 3-4 slices of bacon and toss it in a small pan to cook.
Add a small onion
Add a Japaleno or two
Let that cook awhile until the onion is soft
Add 1 can of Butter beans with the juice
Add 1 can of Black Eyed Peas with juice.

We let that cook down until we like the consistency. You can throw in anything you think would be good, cajun sausage comes to mind.

Seefyre
12-08-2015, 07:44 PM
.....make them once every ten days or so. Made some today, same as usual. Bush Beans, think they are baked. Half cop of molasses, onions, green onions, cilantro, some bacon and half a shot glass of my home brewed rub. Cook them in the Egg. Add a couple hits of beer if they render to far. Just seem like they are bland. Hmmm...

Any suggestions?

I find when people say food is bland is mostly likely needs two things:

1) Acid- Things like lemon juice, vinegar. Acids make earthy/starchy foods POP! In the case of BBQ beans I would add a vinegar based eastern carolina bbq sauce and taste the magic.

2)Heat- You don't have to singe your mouth but layering in some chili of some sort will add depth. Choose from mild-poblanos, anahiems, ancho all the way up habaneros and beyond.

studduck420
12-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Bourbon and beer makes everything better

gtr
12-08-2015, 07:53 PM
This is another great recipe - Kevin was a mod here a while back. A very cool dude and it'd be great to see him again. Anyway, these rock:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1187092&postcount=6

This is the original Kevin's Beans:

1 can Bush's "original baked beans" The "big boy" #10 can. About a gallon.
2 large yellow onions; chopped
2/3 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1 entire green bell pepper - diced
1 entire yellow bell pepper - diced
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup "sugar in the raw"
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups pulled pork (save a quart back next time you cook a butt)
The pulled pork is a must include ingredient, don't skip it!
1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder (I use fresh ground de Arbol)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices; cut into pieces
3 tspn texas pete hot sauce

Mix in a large pan (I use the aluminium hotel pans), and smoke for 4+ hours. I like to place the pan under a couple of butts to catch the drippings.

A must try.

iBBQ
12-08-2015, 10:31 PM
You have a good base. Add BBQ sauce to the mix. The spicier the better, IMO.

Doug Crann
12-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Switch to pinto's. Whole new world out there in pinto land.
Wife makes pintos in the crock pot....grew tired of these as well.....

Think what I am going to do is swap brown sugar for the Molasses. Lose the pile of stuff....jalapenos, green onions, onions, cilantro and tomato....just use onions and jalapenos. Dump the bacon. Put leftover pulled pork or chuckie in its place. And go from there.....

Like the sounds of a the recipes that were mentioned.....just auite a bit of work for me....I tend to get lazy....but I am going to try them at some point. Planning on smoking a small top round roast tomorrow....may make beans...hmmm...

Doug Crann
12-09-2015, 12:52 AM
This is another great recipe - Kevin was a mod here a while back. A very cool dude and it'd be great to see him again. Anyway, these rock:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1187092&postcount=6
A must try.
hmmm...bit much for the two of us....cut back this sounds interesting....

Bludawg
12-09-2015, 02:59 AM
What are Bush beans???? I've had limas, butters, blacks, anastazi, pintos,navys, great northerns, kidneys & reds but I aint never seen a Bush bean. Pintos being my favorite. Pintos, Fiesta Pinto bean seasoning, Bacon end chunks, some esposote and a few jalapeno floaters. Brother that is topshelf eats.

krex1010
12-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Blu.....I grow bush beans in my garden but I don't think that's what the OP is talking about lol

If your tired of baked beans then make something else, Mac n cheese, greens, scalloped potatoes are awesome with Q, or as others said change up your baked beans, try using dried beans, a bit more time but man the end product is so much better than canned beans.

OpelGTMan
12-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Have you tried Keri's Hog Apple Beans? People lose their minds over this stuff. In all honesty, I've made them so much I'd like to make something else, but when we have parties I'm afraid I'll be drawn and quartered if I don't serve these.

This is one of the most universally loved dishes I have ever seen. What's cool is there is room for variation - what kind of meat you use, if you use fatties, what kind of sausage, rub, sauce, etc. & basically no matter what you do it turns out great - just different kinds of great. I let mine sit in the smoker as long as I can, usually with something beefy or porky dripping into them - like brisket, pulled pork, home made bacon I'm smoking, etc.

I'm trying these tonight! The recipe looked amazing so I stopped to get the stuff to make it on my way home.

gtr
12-09-2015, 06:36 PM
hmmm...bit much for the two of us....cut back this sounds interesting....

I'm trying these tonight! The recipe looked amazing so I stopped to get the stuff to make it on my way home.

I'm sure they'll scale down just fine. I haven't made these in a while - been on a Keri's Hog Apple bender for the past couple years, but Kevin's beans really are great. In fact, I'm glad this thread came up and got me to remember these.

Thanks to Kevin, wherever you're at, for putting up the recipe.

Corky
12-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Habanero Death Dust by Oakridge goes in my beans. Really nice kick.

OpelGTMan
12-10-2015, 08:09 AM
I'm sure they'll scale down just fine. I haven't made these in a while - been on a Keri's Hog Apple bender for the past couple years, but Kevin's beans really are great. In fact, I'm glad this thread came up and got me to remember these.

Thanks to Kevin, wherever you're at, for putting up the recipe.

Those beans were amazing. My wife hates all things baked beans and she had seconds of these. I can't wait to have them with a nice ham sandwich tonight!

1MoreFord
12-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Here's a good bean recipe. Not BBQ of course.

Bigwheel's Prize Winning Top Secret Bean Recipe.

1 1/2 lbs dried pintos (rolled for gas of course)
1/4-1/3 lb salt pork
1 onion
3-4 garlic cloves
1 or more fresh japs seeded and deveined
1 T. dry mustard
1 T. wooster sauce
3 T. chili powder
1 can extra hot Rotel tomatoes with Habs*
Salt and pepper to taste

Clean up the beans and cover with 2" water in a pot. Soak one hour. Drain and recover with same amount of water. Add the salt pork and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat put on the lid and simmer gently
till they are nearly done..then add the veggies and spices. Cook about another 20-30 mins. If you want smoke flavor stick em in the coolest part of the pit with the lid off for at least 2 hrs. somewhere along the
way. Later you do it the smokier they will taste. Veggies can be chopped..purreed or floated depending on whether your cooking comp or eating at home.

Mr. Bo
12-11-2015, 12:57 AM

Agreed! I have to do these every time. Try peach or cherry pie filling for a change of pace. You will not be disappointed.