PDA

View Full Version : wsm/freight train😨

low&slowsmoke
12-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Hoping for some help , I must be doing something wrong. I recently purchased a wsm 22 I've done 3 cooks every time it smokes like a freight train for the first hour or so . I assume till the wood chunks burn off. I have cooked with all the charcoal lit add 4 chunks of apple wood. I usually wait a few minutes before adding the food.I've also done the minion method with same results..

Before my wsm I've been cooking on my LSG horizontal I use all wood I get clear almost invisible smoke. My plan was to use the wsm for long cooks. There are times I'd rather sleep . As far as the food there have been no complaints . Thanks for listening and any comments are appreciated.

Ol'Joe
12-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Only thing I can think of is the air flow, if you got the exhaust reduced with inlets open, that can cause excess smoke, sounds like after you heat up, the draft gets better. Hope this may help

Trunks
12-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Also if you are adding wood right to the fire it might smoke a lot, try putting chunks in the unlit coals theb add ur lit coals. It heats up the chunks and they burn nice

KevinJ
12-06-2015, 08:26 PM
i barry my wood in the briquettes and yes the 1st hour or so I get a lot of white smoke, I put my meat on when the WSM gets up to temp. It cleans up quick so i don't worry about it, once it's rolling I don't see any smoke at all yet all the wood chunks are gone at the end of the cook.

SmittyJonz
12-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Charcoal white smokes. Meat puts off Steam. As long as it's not Heavy Nasty Smoke don't worry about it.

What temp are you trying to maintain? Lower temps require smothering fire more and get more smoldering smoke. Run a higher temp, start with less lit coals. Gotta let the smoker breathe. Trial n Error on how much lit to start with and intake adjustments. Most like to keep exhaust full open.

SmittyJonz
12-06-2015, 08:30 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221270

pjtexas1
12-06-2015, 08:32 PM
one trick you can use is to run your fingers thru the smoke exiting the exhaust. if your hand smells like something burning, wait and test again in a few minutes. if it smells like something cooking then put the meat on.

Fwismoker
12-06-2015, 09:51 PM
one trick you can use is to run your fingers thru the smoke exiting the exhaust. if your hand smells like something burning, wait and test again in a few minutes. if it smells like something cooking then put the meat on. boy my mind quickly goes in the gutter :laugh:

Fwismoker
12-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Duplicate post

Blanton
12-06-2015, 09:59 PM
I too get heavy smoke at first when staring with the minion method. Evern when my coals I add are fully burning. Never has any bad effect so I dont worry about it.

robert-r
12-06-2015, 10:54 PM
That's normal with a MM start. Adjust the vents to your desired temp at this time. Let the cooker run until the smoke turns blue or disappears. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
Then add your product.

pjtexas1
12-06-2015, 11:50 PM
boy my mind quickly goes in the gutter :laugh:

It's all in the wording. if you replace "meat on" with "meat in" then you end up in the gutter.:tsk: i did my best but i cannot control how someone might misinterpret my words of wisdom.:pound:

Duplicate post

It's all in the wording. if you replace "meat on" with "meat in" then you end up in the gutter.:tsk: i did my best but i cannot control how someone might misinterpret my words of wisdom.:pound:

THoey1963
12-07-2015, 12:47 AM
LOL, but back to the question at hand.

How are you lighting your WSM? I built a basket for mine, fill it full of charcoal, and then use my weed burner to light "some coals". If I am planning to smoke lower (275* where she likes to run), I'll just light the center. If I am doing a bird that I want higher temps at, I'll light a small area inside each vent. At this time, I'll have all vents open. For lower temps, somewhere around 240*, I'll close two bottom vents and the third I'll close to halfway.

Within 30 mins or so, I have TBS and will drop my wood chunks and throw on my food.

Enrico Brandizzi
12-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Always happens to me.
This is why I start 1-1,5 hour in advance.
I bury 2 splits in charcoal (burn much better at higher temp) and lut the charcoal with torch in the middle.
BBQGURU makes its magic in 1 hour or little more to get STEADLY to 250F.
At that moment all white smoke has desappeared and the meat goes in.
Just start in advance.

pjtexas1
12-07-2015, 12:53 AM
What brand/type of charcoal? I know stubbs starts out with thick smoke and in my cabinet cooker it never runs completely clear. Once it smells right I throw on the food and never had any off tastes.

Porcine Perfection
12-07-2015, 08:02 AM
A few things:

1. Make sure you charcoal is dry. Even charcoal setting outside covered will smolder and smoke for awhile.

2. If using the minion method, make sure your starter charcoal is ashed over before placing it in the coals.

3. Keep the mid section off and allow the starter charcoal to light the others and really get going. Although this will cause an overshoot, it is not a problem with the WSM. When you put on the meat it will settle in rather quickly.

The WSM is the simplest cooker out there, but like anything else, you need to practice to get it right. You will figure it out. :idea:

RolandJT
12-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Another trick--go with a full load for even short cooks. You will have charcoal and chunks leftover after most cooks.

Save the leftover coals after you let them go all the way out(save a charcoal bag for this works good).

Build next fire with all the leftover coals/chunks at one end and new charcoal/chunks on the other.

Start your MM by putting lit coals on the leftover charcoal. This cuts off a lot of time in getting to TBS for me.

cheez59
12-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Another trick--go with a full load for even short cooks. You will have charcoal and chunks leftover after most cooks.

Save the leftover coals after you let them go all the way out(save a charcoal bag for this works good).

Build next fire with all the leftover coals/chunks at one end and new charcoal/chunks on the other.

Start your MM by putting lit coals on the leftover charcoal. This cuts off a lot of time in getting to TBS for me.
This is exactly how I run all three of my WSM's.

Happy Hapgood
12-08-2015, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=pjtexas1;3418042]What brand/type of charcoal?

:thumb: