PDA

View Full Version : Neil's Nuts...

sturev
12-06-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm going to give Neil's Nuts a try today...

I hear they're real good once you get them in your mouth :shock::tape:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9397

gtr
12-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Everybody loves Neil's nuts!

Ron_L
12-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I miss the taste of Neil's Nuts! :shock:

I need to make some soon!

Bigdog
12-06-2015, 12:03 PM
For greater satisfaction, you suck on them before biting down! :thumb:

sturev
12-06-2015, 12:08 PM
For greater satisfaction, you suck on them before biting down! :thumb:

Oh lord, really...? if that's the case then we're headed to the WP for sure! :loco::bolt:

slackdogbbq
12-06-2015, 12:42 PM
They are fanastic with Schweddy Balls:

NPR's Delicious Dish Schweddy Balls - Saturday Night Live - YouTube

IamMadMan
12-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Watch out, Toast might get sausage envy... LOL.

gtr
12-06-2015, 01:04 PM
On one serious note - I've had the best results keeping the temp 250 or under - I've had scorching at higher temps. That's the conclusion I've come to after multiple testes at different temps.

sturev
12-06-2015, 01:38 PM
On one serious note - I've had the best results keeping the temp 250 or under - I've had scorching at higher temps. That's the conclusion I've come to after multiple testes at different temps.

Oh darn, I'm running at 295, does that mean Neil's Nuts might be to too scorched for sucking??? :icon_blush: So far Big Joe is really liking Neil's Nuts! Maybe the kamado will keep them from getting too scorched... :thumb:

gtr
12-06-2015, 02:17 PM
^^^might be different for different cookers. My UDS, which I usually cook 'em on, scorches nuts above 250. Might be different on the Kamado. I stir 'em around every 15 minutes - those hot nuts need to be jostled from time to time to yield maximum results.

THoey1963
12-07-2015, 12:38 AM
I did them at 275* and they turned out fine. Just have to watch them and roll them around a little...

sturev
12-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Oh chit, turns out my wife love's Neil's Nuts!!! but I do too, so I guess it's all good, right? :-D

She was complaining about the smell when I was making up the mix but then totally changed her tune after they were smoked! Her words: I hope you're happy cuz you're going to be making these every year from now on...

LYU370
12-07-2015, 01:06 PM
I need to make up another batch again. But damn, I remember finding the Yoshida's sauce at a local store, but now I forgot which one it was. Knew I should have bought it when I saw it.

gtr
12-07-2015, 02:15 PM
I need to make up another batch again. But damn, I remember finding the Yoshida's sauce at a local store, but now I forgot which one it was. Knew I should have bought it when I saw it.

You can probably get close with teriyaki or something like that if you don't find Yoshida's.

AussieMatt
12-07-2015, 02:23 PM
You can probably get close with teriyaki or something like that if you don't find Yoshida's.

I ended up using my homemade Teriyaki and they turned out great.

gtr
12-07-2015, 03:06 PM
^^^I'll have to take your word for it until I taste your nuts for myself.

LYU370
12-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Yeah, that's what I've used the last few times.

sturev
12-07-2015, 03:54 PM

I picked mine up on Amazon... Amazon.com : Dale's Steak Seasoning 16 oz : Meat Seasonings : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Xhtc0eJGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Xhtc0eJGL

oops, you were talking about Yoshida's... they have that also: Amazon.com : Mr. Yoshida's Sweet Teriyaki Original Gourmet Marinade & Cooking Sauce (17 oz) : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410prdoPT%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@410prdoPT%2BL

IamMadMan
12-07-2015, 06:31 PM

I buy it at BJ's

Bigdog
12-07-2015, 07:58 PM

Good call. :thumb:

LYU370
12-07-2015, 09:59 PM
I picked mine up on Amazon... Amazon.com : Dale's Steak Seasoning 16 oz : Meat Seasonings : Grocery & Gourmet Food (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043XJREA)

oops, you were talking about Yoshida's... they have that also: Amazon.com : Mr. Yoshida's Sweet Teriyaki Original Gourmet Marinade & Cooking Sauce (17 oz) : Grocery & Gourmet Food (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Yoshidas-Teriyaki-Original-Marinade/dp/B0010XQ68Q)

Wow those are expensive. Dale's is like $3 at my local store. I know I can get the giant 1/2 gallon bottle of Yoshida's at Sam's for about $7, but I don't want that much. Just have to remember which store I saw the regular size bottle.

Will work for bbq
12-07-2015, 11:17 PM
I've been wanting to gnaw on Neils nuts for a while now but am not sure what smoke wood to use. I was thinking pecan but I wouldn't what to give Neils nuts an identity crisis. What smoke wood and how much have others used?

sturev
12-08-2015, 06:09 AM
I've been wanting to gnaw on Neils nuts for a while now but am not sure what smoke wood to use. I was thinking pecan but I wouldn't what to give Neils nuts an identity crisis. What smoke wood and how much have others used?

I ran hickory for this batch... I'm going to try pecan for the next batch.

gtr
12-08-2015, 10:09 AM

I think I've used a few different things - pecan, hickory, maybe cherry, mojobricks - all with good results. What it comes down to is even if an ingredient is missing and substituted, or if a different type wood is used - they're still gonna be good. As long as they are cooked to nice and crunchy without being burned you pretty much can't miss. I've been trying different seasoning salts like Tony C's and Slap Yo Mama and BPS Jalapeno salt - now that chit is good!

I was putting turbinado sugar in the mix for a while, and that was pretty good, but if things heat up you get shweddy nuts, so I stopped doing that a while back.