PDA

View Full Version : HELP with mistake

Blutch
11-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Ok... I did a dumb thing... I overslept my smoke.

I had a turkey and a chuck roast on.. I had separated the breast from the legs/thighs...

I got up at 6 after a couple hours of sleep and the breasts were done.. I puled them off and put them in the cooler.. The legs and chuck had a little more time.. wanted to check them in an hour... didn't come to for 2.5 hours.. and the fire had gone way down...

The turkey had gone from 165 when I left it to 145 and the chuck from 140 to 135..

I'm certain that the turkey legs got up to their finished temp after about an hour... not sure about the chuck.. it had a long way to go.

So, what do I do now? Pull them off? Heat them back up to finish temp?

I need a quick answer!

Thanks!

B

nancee
11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
ppull them off and bag the smoke. Wrap up your turkey till you need it later. Put your chuck in the oven to finish if you are sure its not done enough for you as is. Otherwise, wrap it up till later as well. You can reheat both in the oven later when you need them hot for your meal. This is not as bad, or as uncommon, as you think...you are OK
nancee

Blutch
11-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Wow.. that WAS quick!

THank you for the advice. I will do just what you said.

Now... how should I reheat right before the meal?

nancee
11-23-2006, 10:05 AM
I was on my way to the store but decided to hang around till I was sure you were all set.
I would probably reheat at 300 or 325 if you are trying to keep your turkey skin crisp. When you wrap, if you are wrapping in foil/plastic, don't do a tight wrap on either bird or beef or it will get steamy and not the nice texture you have worked to produce.

What were you trying to do with the chuck? I would not probably have gone any higher with it in the first place unless I was looking for some other specific result. If you have a spare cooler, I would rinse it with hot water and put your meats in there till you want to reheat them. You can put a towel or some crumbled newspaper in the bottom to absorb steaminess. Let me know if you need anything else.
nancee

Blutch
11-23-2006, 10:09 AM
I want to pull the chuck like brisket, so I was planning on taking it to 195-200. I can do that in the oven as soon as the pies are done. ;-)

Thanks again Nancee for your help!

I love this forum already.

B

nancee
11-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Sounds like you are aok. Enjoy. Great people here, I think you will like it a lot. Going to go make a donation to Stop N Rob now...bye
nancee

Arlin_MacRae
11-23-2006, 07:50 PM
You know, it's stuff like this that makes me proud to be part of this group. Waytago, Nancee!

Arlin

soulman
11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I was on my way to the store but decided to hang around till I was sure you were all set.

That is awesome. I think that is a great example of brotherhood!:eusa_clap

Blutch
11-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Yup.. Nancee saved the day. Everything I cooked came out wonderfully.

Thanks again!

B

Solidkick
11-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Nice save Nancee........every thought about competing? :wink: