PDA

View Full Version : How long for 2 4# chuckies?

qposner
11-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Will 2 chuckies cook at the same rate as one in a 250 degree pellet pooper? Making PSB tomorrow and twice as much as usual. Don't want to start then too late. Planning on putting them on around 9am to be ready around 5pm.

ebijack
11-28-2015, 04:53 AM
If you have cooked #4 chucks before, 2 at once should be extremely close to the same cook time. I'd suggest you wrap with butcher paper when they get the color/bark you like and then finish them till probe tender.
For me, I believe your going to end up holding them in a cooler as I wouldn't expect them to take 8 hrs to cook. But every cook is a little different.

qposner
11-28-2015, 09:59 AM
If you have cooked #4 chucks before, 2 at once should be extremely close to the same cook time. I'd suggest you wrap with butcher paper when they get the color/bark you like and then finish them till probe tender.
For me, I believe your going to end up holding them in a cooler as I wouldn't expect them to take 8 hrs to cook. But every cook is a little different.

Thanks! Seems 8 hours is ballpark what it has taken in the past. Perhaps I'm wrong and it was 6.

Wampus
11-28-2015, 12:16 PM
As a general rule, unless you're WAY overcrowding a smoker, 1 piece of meat will cook at the same rate as 2, 4 or 6 pieces of the same meat the same size. Actually, other than very big differences in weight, I don't really think the size matters all that much.

If the smoker environment is at 225 degrees (or whatever temp) and there's a single piece of meat in there, it will take X amount of time.

If the same cooker is at the same temp and there are 2 pieces....same result.
Like I said....unless you're way overloading the smoker, which affects airflow, temp, etc., it shouldn't matter.

qposner
11-28-2015, 12:29 PM
As a general rule, unless you're WAY overcrowding a smoker, 1 piece of meat will cook at the same rate as 2, 4 or 6 pieces of the same meat the same size. Actually, other than very big differences in weight, I don't really think the size matters all that much.

If the smoker environment is at 225 degrees (or whatever temp) and there's a single piece of meat in there, it will take X amount of time.

If the same cooker is at the same temp and there are 2 pieces....same result.
Like I said....unless you're way overloading the smoker, which affects airflow, temp, etc., it shouldn't matter.

Good to know. Thank you.

SmokinJohn
11-28-2015, 04:40 PM
don't know about 250, but I can tell you that at 300, it will take less than four hours.