PDA

View Full Version : Turkey-free T-Day

guero_gordo
11-27-2015, 01:48 AM
Got the sign-off that nobody was that crazy about turkey, so we did something completely different.

First time working with brisket, basic SPOG rub plus a little paprika. After comparing a bunch of TX style sauce recipes and finding them pretty similar, I used the one from Amazing Ribs, minus the sugar and using the butter --> drippings substitution.

18# beast was so big I could barely inchworm it onto my 22" grill right in the middle, so I foil shielded the point and rotated it along with the burn (snake method) until it shrunk enough I could move it to the far side of the grill.

Since it was my first time and Thanx dinner is a big deal, I cooked the day before, smoked for 11h to an internal 200F. Pulled about midnight, then reheated in a pan with a bottle of beer at 170F for 2h before resting and slicing.

Thing came off tender and juicy. Slices held together well, though I did cut them pretty thick. Point had decent moisture in the middle, pretty tough bark on the bottom, but after the first few slices that aspect didn't dominate.

Wife and child made up some brussels sprouts with pancetta and a balsamic glaze, yam casserole, and a killer mac and cheese.

cheez59
11-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Good looking brisket.

dport7
11-27-2015, 06:12 AM
Glad that worked out for you.

IamMadMan
11-27-2015, 06:14 AM
I'd take that over turkey any day....