PDA

View Full Version : Checking turkey temp - so much variation!

theTastyCat
11-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Hey all - spatchcocked an 18 lb. turkey this year. Been running around 330 for almost an hour and a half now, but parts of this thing are still 125 according to the Thermopop. I know if I don't get the whole thing food-safe (planning to pull at 160), nothing else matters, but I'm ripping my hair out thinking about how far above 165 the outer portions are getting. Trying so hard to avoid a dry bird! If it matters the bird was not frozen and I brined for 24 hours, drying overnight.

Please tell me there's no reason to freak out!

Thanks, Brethren!

Fwismoker
11-26-2015, 06:33 PM
There's really only two things to look for in relation to donenes...

One is when the joints are loose, They will basically just pull loose- When it does that it's DONE.

2nd is temp in the breast, just probe in the center of the breast and when it's toward 160 it's basically done....just pull and rest.

You're doing fine just check the bird at the 2 hour mark because you should be getting close by then. It could take 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

theTastyCat
11-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks fwi - I mistyped, it's been 2.5 hours now! Prolly will check again in another 15 and will try the joints!

Fwismoker
11-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks fwi - I mistyped, it's been 2.5 hours now! Prolly will check again in another 15 and will try the joints!

Yea at those temps it shouldn't be long at all. The joint test is fool proof, it's never failed me. One I cooked today it just fell off...tell tail sign it is good to go.

Doog
11-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Just make sure you check the thick part of the thighs to make sure it's up to temp.
My breast meat was showing 165 and thighs was at 152. I just smoked the turkey till the dark meat was up to temp.
Turkey was still very moist and very good.

theTastyCat
11-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Well at 3.5 HOURS, averaging 335-340 (but the probe was on the firebox side of the bird), I couldn't find any part of the breast that wasn't at least 160. The top portion of the breast was unfortunately quite dry, but the lower parts of the breast were quite good. The dark meat turned out GREAT! So hmm...i read on amazingribs to cook it breast up...if I cooked it breast down, would it have been more moist? I also think in view of the cooking time I could cook it hotter - maybe 350 on the probe. Doing another one tomorrow so I guess I'll be able to practice more!

I tried the joint test but I confess to not knowing enough about what I'm doing to tell....

This site is the best!

mchar69
11-26-2015, 08:37 PM
I agree my temps were all over the place,
I cover the breast w/ foil
for 3 hours, remove to brown and cook breast.
Pulled from the oven when the breast hit about 164, tented for 20 minutes,
then lid on the roasting pan, wrapped in towels for 2 hours -
turned out really moist.
SAVE THE BONES FOR SOUP BASE!

Doog
11-26-2015, 08:44 PM
How about tomorrow cooking breast down for an hour and then turn breast up for rest of cook. I never tried it but was wondering how it would work.
Keep us posted on your results tomorrow. Good Luck!

Fwismoker
11-26-2015, 08:46 PM
That seems like an awful long time but who knows. Just keep practicing but one of these days you'll have a bird where the quarters are basically just hanging on by a thread they're so loose.

I injected mine with beer, butter and the seasoning I used for the rub, very tasty and moist.

When I cook spatchcock the bird will be skin side up for most of the cook then it gets flipped skin side down to finish but i cook direct and want to crisp the skin. Haven't had a bad experiences going skin side down. Good luck on tomorrows bird!

theTastyCat
11-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks all! Great wisdom here as always!

mchar69
11-26-2015, 11:00 PM
How about tomorrow cooking breast down for an hour and then turn breast up for rest of cook. I never tried it but was wondering how it would work.It works. I was bringing the 23 lb bird to the party, and was too chicken to risk it -
although I have done it before, so I roasted it old fashioned, breast up, foil on top of breast.
IN Retrospect:
I should have started UPSIDE DOWN .
then turned it up but I am talking in the oven.
Get rendering that lower part right away.
Render 1 -2 hours. Then flip.
I almost wish every OTHER day was Thanksgiving!

theTastyCat
11-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Update - SUCCESS!!!!! Turkey #2 was everything turkey #1 was not.

I ran the offset HOT - around 400 most of the time! Took about two hours. I don't know why, but everything on my smoker seems to take more time and/or higher temps than conventional wisdom would suggest. No idea why! But it sure was liberating to not really have to baby the offset - just throw another split in every now and then and keep her roaring.

I got the Maverick probe buried deep enough that it was relevant; the first time it showed 155 after about an hour, but deep in the breast it was only 115. The second time worked!

I started skin down for the first hour, then flipped.

It was beautifully juicy and flavorful! I'll never do it any other way!

Many, many thanks, brethrens!!

Guffdude
11-28-2015, 06:24 PM
My 13 pound bird took two and a half hours at 325 to 350 degrees. I was cooking indirect, spatchcocked, and brined. The breast was moist and the dark meat was great. I had never spatchcocked a turkey before and planned on about 90 minutes but built in plenty of leeway which I used. Next time, i will know.

BigBobBQ
11-29-2015, 06:30 AM
I had some of a turkey that was cooked for 12 hours at 200-215 and I must say it was the juiciest turkey I have seen smoked to date.