PDA

View Full Version : My turkey for the big day

jsmorrow2s
11-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Picked up a 13.88 lb Amish freeland, veggie fed, antibiotic free turkey. Last night (11/24) started the brine using 1.25 cups kosher salt, 2 cups sugar, 2 bay leafs, handful peppercorns, and a sprinkle of thyme rosemary and sage.

Going to take it out of the brine tonight, rinse it off, and place back in my bucket to dry out the skin a little bit. Then cook it in my pbc with the turkey hanger using cherry wood chunks and charcoal at around 330.

The question is should I truss it? I plan on having the bird in the cooker at 745 and eat lunch at 1200 on thursday

qman
11-25-2015, 08:15 AM
I do not know about the pbc, but I prefer not to truss if I am expecting the skin to be crispy and edible.

Fwismoker
11-25-2015, 08:45 AM
For me it would depend on which direction it was hanging. Most of the PBC using the hanger they hang it upside down, but I don't see why it can't hang right side up. If it was up the wings would hold more to the body but upside down the wings are flopping to the outside.

PatioDaddio
11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Hanging breast-end (upside) down allows the juices from the dark meat to migrate to the breast. The new PBC bird hanger works beautifully.

John