PDA

View Full Version : Beer with Thanksgiving

Mark
11-22-2006, 11:31 AM
An interesting article in today's paper about serving microbrewed/craft beer with the Thanksgiving meal instead of wine. My favorite is Guniess Stout but I'm open to anything similar. What is it about Guniess; the smoked malt? Suggestions?

I'm also thinking about brewing my own. I'm allowed 1 beer per week so I want it to be a good one.

Pig Headed
11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Mark,
If you can find it, Roquefort 10 is an outstanding Belgian Abbey Ale. It's kind of hard to get though. Probably cost you abround $8 a bottle, but it's worth it, especially if you can only have one. It's 11.3% alcohol.

Mark
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I think "the other Ron" brought some monk-made ale to Greg's last bash. I have to say I couldn't distinguish it from Guniess Stout. So the xtra cost would be wasted on me. Somebody domestic makes a smoked ale. Who is it?

SP
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
http://http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/beergeek_1924_56375259Boddingtons

kickassbbq
11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
What? I only drink Red Dog. Why? Because you ARE your own dog.
And, by the time I have had 12 Jack Daniels, I can't tell the difference in beer taste anyway!!!!!!!!
Everyone have a GREAT and SAFE Thanksgiving.
Smoke On!!!!!!

MrMike
11-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Mark -
Don't limit yourself to Guiness - there are a lot of other great stouts out there. You may find that the American brewed stouts will have a fuller body and be more highly hopped. Porter is a similar style. The malt in Guiness isn't smoked - it's a well roasted malt called black patent malt, which also provides the color. Belgian ales are another animal entirely. A really wonderful animal... I can't name any smoked ales off the top of my head, but you can check some here:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/11/

I've been brewing for over a decade, although I haven't brewed at all this year. It can get sort of intensive and it takes patience to turn out beer, it's well worthwhile. Heck, if you got patience to make BBQ, you can stand to make some beer. Find your local homebrew shop and make some inquiries. Or pick up Charlie Papazian's New Complete Joy of Homebrewing.That should get you started or scare you right to your local beer distributor.

Enjoy!!

Mike

Mark
11-22-2006, 02:01 PM
O’Fallon Smoked Porter Dark, rich and smoky…this classic porter is brewed with 63% German smoked malt and makes a perfect after dinner (or anytime) sipper for those who love a "bigger" beer. Winner of the Gold Medal in the 2004 Great American Beer Festival® for best Smoked Beer in America!

http://www.ofallonbrewery.com/Aboutourbeer.html

Mark
11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Mr. Mike:

I once visited the Guniess Brewery in Ireland. I thought I remembered it was peat smoked something.

KickAss:

If I drank like that I would probably die. Maybe later.

MrMike
11-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Mark -

Guiness Stout probably isn't the only beer that's made there - various types of malt is used in different beers for different reasons. Some is for color, some is for certain taste overtones, or for chemical balance. Sometimes the type of malt is actually the same grain; the difference is the degree of roasting. Roast it a little, it will give you an amber color and taste one way. Roast it a lot and you have black patent, which will give you a black color. And you can still get the black color without black patent - you can use chocolate malt too. You can probably find a recipe for a Guiness clone and I'm 99 percent sure that smoked malt isn't in it. Roasted malts, yes. Smoked, no.

Mike

Brauma
11-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Mark, your're a man on my topic tonight.

I'll be on Troeg's Hopback Amber tomorrow.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/TroegsHopbackAmber.jpg

Im on Harpoon Winter Warmer and Disaronno tonight.

Sawdustguy
11-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Mark,

Don't let them give you any crap about Guiness. I like Guiness also, along with a number of other beers. I love the toasted hop flavor and the ultra smooth texture. I think it goes well with turkey. If you like Guiness, I hope you enjoy a pint or two tommorrow. Happy Thanksgiving.

mbowker641
11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Bell's in Kalamazoo makes an Oatmeal Stout as well as a Cherry Stout that's good on vanilla ice cream.

Single Fin Smoker
11-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Try Shiner 97, and Shiner Hef. The 97 is a light smokey rich flavor and the Hef has a citrus quality to it that pairs well with any meat.

thunderbelly
11-22-2006, 08:22 PM
A good dark beer is Waterloo Dark, I like the boars head on the bottle too. given the choice between Guiness and Waterloo dark, Waterloo Dark wins everytime. It is the one I cook with too.

Pig Headed
11-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Rogue Brewery in Oregon makes a great Shakespeare Stout. It's pretty readily available. I think they also make a smoked stout or porter. One of the better microbreweries around.

Ron_L
11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I think "the other Ron" brought some monk-made ale to Greg's last bash. I have to say I couldn't distinguish it from Guniess Stout. So the xtra cost would be wasted on me. Somebody domestic makes a smoked ale. Who is it?

"The other ron"? Is that all I am to you? The Other Ron? Not even Ronelle? Just "the other ron"? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I brought some Chimay (http://www.chimay.be/en/intro_216.php). Good stuff.

nonthink
11-22-2006, 10:16 PM
For me ‘Guinness Extra Stout’ is my goto beer. But when I want something special I have ‘Young’s Luxury Double Chocolate Stout’ it’s like drinking chocolate cake. (mmmmmmmmm caaaake) ‘Samuel Smith Taddy Porter’ is another favorite.
Good food, good beer. What more could one want.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Arlin_MacRae
11-23-2006, 08:00 PM
What, you guys wait till I'm out of pocket to start a beer thread??? :cool:

A great 'domestic' smoked beer is Alaskan Brewing Co's Alaskan Smoked Porter. If you can find it, buy it. If it's a current-year brew, hide it for a year or so. I had a 7-year old bottle that was heavenly, but the stuff that's fresh from the brewery can taste a little green and needs some cooler rest!

arlin

MrMike
11-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Mark,

Don't let them give you any crap about Guiness. I like Guiness also, along with a number of other beers. I love the toasted hop flavor and the ultra smooth texture. I think it goes well with turkey. If you like Guiness, I hope you enjoy a pint or two tommorrow. Happy Thanksgiving.

Nobody's saying anything bad about Guinness. It's the stout all others are measured against, for goodness sake. Drink up!!

And Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a wonderful brew - also try Brooklyn Brewing's Black Chocolate Stout. And goodness, it's almost time for Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale...

Now I'm thirsty...

Mike

Pig Headed
11-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Ditto on the Celebration Ale. Can't wait.

CarbonToe
11-24-2006, 06:46 AM
I've never been a big Guiness drinker (like my other half) I prefer the flavour of Caffreys.

From what I've read on other web sites you can no longer get it in the U.S.

Coors Brewing Company acquired Caffrey's in December, 2001 when they purchased U.K. based Carling Brewers who had the distribution rights. Sometime in 2002, they stopped distributing Caffrey's in the U.S. due to poor sales.

ericoask
11-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Anything from Victory Brewing Company has always been a hit, especially the stout

Mark
11-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Aside from Guniess, none of the others are available locally (so far as I've been looking except for the Ofallon I mentioned in post #7. Maybe cause it's brewed a couple miles from my house. It seems MOFO's stick to the mainstream/pisstream stuff; like Bud.