PDA

View Full Version : Whose got their stock ready?

mike-cleveland
11-13-2015, 07:05 PM
I am a couple hours in to making stock.

Roasted chicken carcass
Smoked pig neck
Onion
Salt
Pepper
Carrots
Celery
Garlic
Vinegar
Soy Sauce

Smelling really good in here. After reduction should have enough stock for a nice family soup, the turkey gravy, and a bit leftover.

Plan for Thanksgiving. Remove giblets form turkey, add to stock and simmer. Smoke turkey over a pan to catch some drippings. Use drippings to make rue to thicken gravy.

Anyone esle make stock?

quamdar
11-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Love making my own stock! Makes your soup so much better using home made stock and it's so easy. Try to keep a few jars In the freezer.

deepsouth
11-13-2015, 07:27 PM
I make stock all the time. I saved some shrimp shells that I peeled this evening and threw them in the freezer since I Just made some seafood stock as well as vegetable stock a couple weeks ago. Nothing substitutes for a good stock IMO.

Teleking
11-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Usually make stock with the leftovers in the pressure cooker. No need to make pre stock

yakdung
11-13-2015, 07:35 PM
2 gallons of seafood stock in freezer.

mikemci
11-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Stock does smell awesome! I make a vegetable stock with some chopped up giblets to moisten my cornbread dressing on Thanksgiving. Pretty much the same veggies as yours.
Any time of year that we boil chicken for a dish, I make stock out of the chicken water. Way better than store bought!! Use it in place of water for rice, add it to the bean pot, when cooking pintos, etc. etc. This is my all time favorite holiday!

mike-cleveland
11-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Use stock for mashed potatoes. Pretty good.

rookiedad
11-13-2015, 08:33 PM
sounds great. sounds like a good stock for ramen bowls.

iBBQ
11-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Browned turkey or chicken stock is awesome. At Thanksgiving, I always make a batch of brown turkey stock for gravy and soup if there is any left over. Browning the meat is key. I use a Mario Batali recipe and it's great, but use turkey instead of chicken.

http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/brown-chicken-stock/

mike-cleveland
11-13-2015, 10:05 PM
I am almost ready to turn off, Still reducing a bit