PDA

View Full Version : Prague Powder #1 (Instacure #1) Shelf Life

chefboy1313
11-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Hello all. I have been trying to do some research on the shelf life of this product. I am planning on curing a pork belly and have some of this that I bought in May 2014. It has been opened and has been kept in a cool, dry place. Some sites say the shelf life is indefinite as long as it is kept dry and other sites say only one year unopened.

I don't want anyone getting sick, so I really need to get an accurate answer. Help!!

IamMadMan
11-13-2015, 06:15 PM
If it was sealed and never opened it can last indefinitely, but you have to be comfortable with the age and usage.

After opening, if kept in a cool, dark, dry, it will last for several years. With any oxygen and / or humidity present (which salt absorbs) the nitrites can begin to break down and can become ineffective.

If you want to store it for later use, break it down in smaller packages and vac-seal them to void the packages of oxygen and moisture.

I try to buy in quantities that I will use in a year, and repurchase every year. Some people buy large quantities trying to save money, but in the end they have to throw it out if not properly stored, and actually costs them more.

TroyA65
11-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Never thought about this, thanks for the info. I'm gonna start some belly/bacon tomorrow, assuming my salt is good.

Update: The date on my salt is "Best by 2/7/19" I bought it earlier this year.

nmeyer414
11-13-2015, 07:12 PM
I keep mine inside a zip lock bag, inside a pint mason jar with a desiccant package and an oxygen absorber and stored in darker part of my pantry area.