PDA

View Full Version : New Member Calling on Northern CA Bretheren

Calibbq
11-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Hi All! I am new to the family, I have been reading and learning since September, this is my first post. I was using a vertical propane smoker for years with some success but recently picked up a OJ stick burner and have been working to perfect the nice light blue smoke. This forum has been amazing for the learning curve and I will post some proof of my education soon. I wanted to see if I could get some help locating brisket in Northern CA. I use to be able to pick up flats from Costco in Vallejo but the recently stopped caring brisket all together. So I am curios can anyone provide me a location in the east bay or in SF where I can locate a decent priced brisket.
Thank you in advance for the help and I just wanted to say Hi......

low&slowsmoke
11-12-2015, 09:20 PM
I have been picking them up at smart and final or walmart

shares
11-12-2015, 09:31 PM
... I wanted to see if I could get some help locating brisket in Northern CA. I use to be able to pick up flats from Costco in Vallejo but the recently stopped caring brisket all together. So I am curios can anyone provide me a location in the east bay or in SF where I can locate a decent priced brisket.
Welcome Calibbq. Some Restaurant Depo's carry prime brisket, the Alameda store for example, but not all RD are the same. My San Jose store does not carry prime, but they will have choice. You can often find choice at Smart & Final, but other than that, you really need to mail order bbq worthy briskets from the usual places - Creekstone, Brandt, Snake River, etc.

Please come out to some NorCal competitions and say hi, lots of friednly folks.

xeroborn
11-13-2015, 08:31 AM
i lived in sacramento for 29 years. Moved out to Austin, TX now but damn, i miss norcal.

Porcine Aviator
11-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Costco has recently been selling Prime Brisket for $3.29/lb.. It is good. They don't always have it though. Ask one of the butchers in the back for it if it not on display.

SirPorkaLot
11-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Hi All! I am new to the family, I have been reading and learning since September, this is my first post. I was using a vertical propane smoker for years with some success but recently picked up a OJ stick burner and have been working to perfect the nice light blue smoke. This forum has been amazing for the learning curve and I will post some proof of my education soon. I wanted to see if I could get some help locating brisket in Northern CA. I use to be able to pick up flats from Costco in Vallejo but the recently stopped caring brisket all together. So I am curios can anyone provide me a location in the east bay or in SF where I can locate a decent priced brisket.

Either Smart & Final or Cash & Carry is going to be your best bet.
There is a Cash & Carry in Sacramento and one in Oakland.

oh..and welcome to the family!

funstuie
11-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Last time I was in RD in SF they had brisket.

The Costco's on the peninsula don't seem to have it at the moment.

robinfresno
11-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I'd give The Local Butcher Shop in Berkeley CA a call. If they don't have one available they could probably point you in the right direction. There is also Golden Gate Meat Co; they can usually get anything you'd like but the price is going to be higher than Costco for sure. You might want to try calling The Sonoma Meat Market; it's possible they could get one and they're in Vallejo according to yelp but I've never been there.

Calibbq
11-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Thank you for the reply's and the welcome. I will call around and see if Berkeley or Sonoma can provide them at a reasonable price. It's hard to learn on a fifty dollar piece of meat, but it sure is some good eating when done correctly. I will reply with my results.

Oak-n-hickory
11-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Although I have a Crapco right across 101 from me, I have to drive to Cash & Carry in Santa Rosa to get brisket. One nice thing about C&C, though: you can check the prices and stock for each store online. I try to make brisket runs when the price is right. I've bought several of their certified Star Angus briskets, and they've been excellent. They also tend to be aged just about the right amount of time.

landarc
11-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Welcome! I prefer Cash & Carry for brisket and ribs. I haven't found a better source, other than the Costco Business Center, which I don't have access to. Jetro/Restaurant Depot in Oakland stocks briskets as well, but you need a business license or KCBS membership to get in.

brimclau
11-13-2015, 12:59 PM
welcome! Yep, Restaurant Depot or local butcher which can be spendy but always good to support your local establishment.

Will have to try C&C - thanks Landarc

SirPorkaLot
11-13-2015, 01:06 PM
welcome! Yep, Restaurant Depot or local butcher which can be spendy but always good to support your local establishment.

Will have to try C&C - thanks Landarc

Being a fairly new resident of the area, can you please enlighten me and tell me where there is a local butcher that carries brisket?

I've have yet to find one and I have been looking.

landarc
11-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Local Butcher in Berkeley is actually a whole animal butcher shop, they will have certain cuts on a limited basis.

Most cities will have a butcher that can, not can not always will, order in meat. Berkeley Bowl West often has briskets, but, you need to talk with them to assure they don't cut the pieces up. Same with beef ribs, they always have beef chuck ribs, but, usually they section them for the Asian market.

Springram
11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
i lived in sacramento for 29 years. Moved out to Austin, TX now but damn, i miss norcal.

What? Folks here in Texas think the Austin area is heaven! Nothing compares to Northern California, however. Great wine, beautiful country, super weather (needs a little rain), tri tips, etc. On the other hand, it ain't cheap to live there! Plus, hard to get brisket.

Love Northern California.

landarc
11-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Lots of folks around here I know fantasize about moving to Texas. They all tell me the people are nicer there. I think they are nuts, people are people.

In terms of brisket, yeah, that is true, a lot easier to find in Texas. But, we have tri-tip out the wazoo.

SirPorkaLot
11-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Lots of folks around here I know fantasize about moving to Texas. They all tell me the people are nicer there. I think they are nuts, people are people.

In terms of brisket, yeah, that is true, a lot easier to find in Texas. But, we have tri-tip out the wazoo.

I refuse to eat tri tip out of your wazoo!