PDA

View Full Version : Splitin' wood

pga7602
11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
So what does everyone use to split their splits? I've been using a source for Oak for my santa maria grill. The wood pieces come 18" inches and are very thick (average fireplace wood size). My santa maria grill handles this very well. With my new Lang 36" coming.. I will need cut the length in half, which I can do with my chop saw, but how do are you all splitting the wood for your stick burner? Axe? :shocked: Will need to think of something by Sunday!! woohoo :clap2:

smoke ninja
11-12-2015, 05:55 PM
A maul

mike-cleveland
11-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Camp hatchet and a hammer. Keep the hatchet very sharp with a stone.

Smoking on 60
11-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Be careful with a chop saw.

With the uneven diameter of wood against the fence, the blade can grab and pull it in as it cuts. I had that happen with a Dewalt power miter box, also bent the blade enough to make it wobble.

2dumb2kwit
11-12-2015, 06:21 PM
A splitting maul.

pga7602
11-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Ok sounds like a splitting maul is the ticket. As you can see I'm a city boy. I've only seen this done in the movies lol

foinsnap
11-12-2015, 06:26 PM
I use this

Amazon.com: The Smart Splitter: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Radfl7lmL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Radfl7lmL

MeatCandy
11-12-2015, 06:45 PM
I built a miter box with 2x6's to hold the splits...mounted the box on an old work stand.....I would use a chainsaw to chop the splits in half, after that you can split them with a small/medium axe...

One full size split would yield 6 nice pieces for me when I had my Lang 36...

Good Luck...Be safe...

BBQ Freak
11-12-2015, 06:47 PM
to cut my splits in half I bought a cheap vice and mounted it to a board to cut them in half with a chainsaw and on splitting the splits I use a wedge and a five pound hammer .

cats49er
11-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Just a plain old axe about 3 i/2 pounds is all you need unless you are splitting knots or forks in the tree,then use a wedge.Splitting maul is ok too.

dwfisk
11-12-2015, 06:54 PM
I got me a maul and a couple youngin's:becky:

S.Six
11-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I've been using an axe to split logs or oversized splits.

Teleking
11-12-2015, 07:29 PM
6 cord a year for heat. Maul, wedges, 16 pound sledge. All from tree length by hand. Just filled the wood furnace as I type.

cowgirl
11-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Chainsaw, axe and small hatchet depending on the size of the log.

ClintHTX
11-12-2015, 07:44 PM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/truper-12-lb-splitting-maul-with-27-in-steel-handle

This. Steel handle, won't break. Heavy maul will go right through wood without force. Wide and won't get stuck/jammed.

Doog
11-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Chainsaw,maul and a double blade axe. I just pace myself splitting it.

Teleking
11-12-2015, 07:55 PM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/truper-12-lb-splitting-maul-with-27-in-steel-handle

This. Steel handle, won't break. Heavy maul will go right through wood without force. Wide and won't get stuck/jammed.

Got one of those also but the handle is to short for a good swing. Need to add 8 inches. Otherwise it works very well.

Doog
11-12-2015, 07:57 PM

Back when I was younger I had what they called the monster maul. It was 15lbs and had a steel handle. If you could get it over your head you split the log. But that thing would wear you out.

ClintHTX
11-12-2015, 08:18 PM
The key is let the maul do all the work. Read the wood, see the cracks. If you swing it and hit it in the right spot. It'll split with ease. You will kill yourself swinging it as hard as you can.

The B
11-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Just bought a log splitter this past weekend...

http://t.harborfreight.com/5-ton-log-splitter-61373.html

They also had a coupon code for 20% off.:grin: It works pretty good, and as long as you know how to split wood with the grain, it will split over the 10" recommendation.:-o

Doug Crann
11-12-2015, 10:12 PM
I work on thinning the trees on the sides of our roads so I have a couple of chainsaws...and a splitter that I got from a neighbor....he loaned it to me and told me if he ever needs it back he will ask...

Fwismoker
11-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Manual version from HF.....10 ton

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter-62291.html

pga7602
11-12-2015, 11:10 PM

Was just looking at this. Do you use one yourself?

Fwismoker
11-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Was just looking at this. Do you use one yourself? Yes it works very good.... for any shorter splits just add another piece of wood in to shorten the distance you have to go.

dport7
11-13-2015, 04:39 AM
Six pound splitting mall, for knots, wedges and a twelve pound sledge. if the knot is to strong, I cut half way through the log with a chain saw, then split it.
For splitting small stuff, like kindling, a hatchet.

cliffcarter
11-13-2015, 05:26 AM
You won't need a maul to split 9" long logs, a small ax or a hatchet and plug hammer will work just fine.

mrboy
11-13-2015, 06:09 AM
I got one of these a couple of years ago and it's great!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-28-in-X25-Splitting-Axe-78546935/202681711

AlwaysSmokey
11-13-2015, 09:05 AM
I got one of these a couple of years ago and it's great!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-28-in-X25-Splitting-Axe-78546935/202681711

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I have the same one. I recommend it also. I split a ton of wood, year round.

Of course, if you can afford a gas powered splitter and have some teenage kids to stack wood,.. you could always just drink beer and pull a handle.... ahhhh that would be nice....

Regards,

Kevin

Bludawg
11-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Beer powered Maul.

Porcine Aviator
11-13-2015, 09:49 AM
If you plan to split the local oak, you will find this unit a real back saver:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-log-splitter-61373.html

Because of the many knots in our oak, and the hardness, splitting by hand maul is potentially dangerous unless you are experienced. I'm not. This splitter is worth every penny.

Peter B
11-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Splitting Maul for the big stuff
Hammer and Wedge for the tough stuff
Froe and Beetle for the smaller stuff
Chainsaw when all else fails

ahill450
11-13-2015, 10:31 AM
I split my wood by using my kids when they get in trouble and a 12 lb sledge and a wedge. 3 of them hate spiting wood so they think twice before getting into anything but the other one loves to split wood so he likes to cause a little mischief every now and then.

revkab
11-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!

Splitting is one thing, and many on here have offered valuable thoughts.

But cutting to length is another matter. Using a chop saw (aka power miter box) is an easy solution, but can be extremely dangerous. The uneven split can be very problematic as the split, upon being cut, can offer a radically different orientation to the back of the fence and offers the possibility of becoming jammed, kicking free, even drawing the hand of the operator into the blade.

If using a chopsaw, I would recommend first building and installing a wooden auxiliary fence with as little "throat space" (the opening on either side of the saw blade). as possible. That will help keep the piece being cut from being tipped and drawn into the blade and binding. In doing do, that will also help minimize the prospect of the hand grasping the wood from being drawn, with the wood, into the blade when the thing binds and pulls.

I would also highly recommend using a chop saw that offers a clamping mechanism for the piece being cut.

I once ruined a very excellent electric miterbox when a piece of firewood I was cutting shifted, bound, and was thrown into the blade. I was fortunate that my hand was not drawn in. but, the force of the wood being jammed bent the blade arbor and permanently ruined the best miter box I ever had.

These days, when I have to trim splits to length, I actually prefer build a wooden saw jack and use a chain saw. I build a fence into the jack so it holds the split from kicking back, and prefer to make a clamp with a chain or strap so I can hold the piece securely.

Ag76
11-13-2015, 12:00 PM

It appears that the maximum length log that you can split with this is 18". Is that correct?

Fwismoker
11-13-2015, 12:39 PM
It appears that the maximum length log that you can split with this is 18". Is that correct? yes it measures out @ 18.5"

pga7602
11-13-2015, 12:46 PM

But cutting to length is another matter. Using a chop saw (aka power miter box) is an easy solution, but can be extremely dangerous. The uneven split can be very problematic as the split, upon being cut, can offer a radically different orientation to the back of the fence and offers the possibility of becoming jammed, kicking free, even drawing the hand of the operator into the blade.

If using a chopsaw, I would recommend first building and installing a wooden auxiliary fence with as little "throat space" (the opening on either side of the saw blade). as possible. That will help keep the piece being cut from being tipped and drawn into the blade and binding. In doing do, that will also help minimize the prospect of the hand grasping the wood from being drawn, with the wood, into the blade when the thing binds and pulls.

I would also highly recommend using a chop saw that offers a clamping mechanism for the piece being cut.

I once ruined a very excellent electric miterbox when a piece of firewood I was cutting shifted, bound, and was thrown into the blade. I was fortunate that my hand was not drawn in. but, the force of the wood being jammed bent the blade arbor and permanently ruined the best miter box I ever had.

These days, when I have to trim splits to length, I actually prefer build a wooden saw jack and use a chain saw. I build a fence into the jack so it holds the split from kicking back, and prefer to make a clamp with a chain or strap so I can hold the piece securely.
I have a nice chain saw i can use. Thanks for the advice

jbounds286
11-13-2015, 12:48 PM

i also have this...made some skinny splits today with it! super easy :thumb::thumb::thumb:

MeatCandy
11-13-2015, 01:37 PM
...Do yourself a favor and build a miter box to hold the splits while you chop them...

ClintHTX
11-13-2015, 03:34 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/jav2xf.jpg

A tire comes in handy when your splitting wood by hand...

jazzbert
11-13-2015, 03:46 PM
'round here we rent a splitter or use a maul for small amounts. My dad used to burn 15 cord every winter before hydraulic splitters became available, so I acquires splittin' skills...

The B
11-13-2015, 05:49 PM

That is a great idea!:clap:

funstuie
11-13-2015, 08:32 PM

Yep this guy speaks the truth.

In an effort to cut some wood to length in a hurry I used my brand new mitre saw. All was going well until one log bought on the blade and bent the fence, guard and arm. I was pissed as **** about that. So I ended up with a useless mitre saw and had to rent one for the project I originally got it for.

Also I really hurt my arm but that wasn't the important bit.

Blythewood BBQ'er
11-13-2015, 10:30 PM
I use this beast!

retired trucker
11-13-2015, 11:11 PM
I rented one several years back and for the cost of one day rental, I split about 2 cords of wood in about 4 hours with the help of my bride and a niece. I ran the splitter, and they fed it and sorta stacked it. I think it ran me less than $40 for the day.

Omar

mattdean1003
11-14-2015, 01:23 AM
I use a Fiskars X27 splitting axe. It absolutely destroys wood. I've split 38 inch, 18 inch long oak rounds with it no problem.

pga7602
11-14-2015, 10:25 AM
I have a really bad back, but I really wanted to try the aimple way first. I picked up a 6 pound mual and tried to do a swing last nigh.... nooo way I am doing that.

Off to Harbor for the hydrolic splitter.

pjtexas1
11-14-2015, 10:52 AM
I have a really bad back, but I really wanted to try the aimple way first. I picked up a 6 pound mual and tried to do a swing last nigh.... nooo way I am doing that.

if you can get this splitter on a table it will help with the back issues.

CockedandLocked
11-14-2015, 11:23 AM
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/12170528_10153782614430984_2044231345_n.jpg?oh=716 c2ebbdcc870823d455115f94e5302&oe=564A4E0B

Joe Black
11-14-2015, 11:46 AM

I bought the fireplace friend that has the foot operator and I'm not thrilled with it. How do you really like yours? Have you ever seen the foot job?

Fwismoker
11-14-2015, 12:18 PM
I bought the fireplace friend that has the foot operator and I'm not thrilled with it. How do you really like yours? Have you ever seen the foot job? :becky: I'll try to keep this PG since it's not the WP. :becky:

No I haven't seen the foot powered but the hand operated does real good. It sits on my porch and doesn't need a plug or gasoline. For personal use it's perfect I think.

iamuzzyhunter
11-14-2015, 12:35 PM
I have the Fiskars x27 axe as well. Highly recommend it. I also have a Speeco 22 ton splitter and about 8 chainsaws.

pjtexas1
11-14-2015, 02:22 PM
No I haven't seen the foot powered but the hand operated does real good. It sits on my porch and doesn't need a plug or gasoline. For personal use it's perfect I think.

i agree. no issues with mine either.

THoey1963
11-16-2015, 01:48 PM
I got this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631753_200631753

daninnewjersey
11-16-2015, 02:23 PM
I also have about 8 chainsaws.

Holy Friday the 13th......:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Randy3269
11-16-2015, 03:45 PM
+1 on the Fiskars Splitter. I really like the 28" handle. The tire trick on a short table is the ticket.

RT
11-16-2015, 04:03 PM

This works great for me.

Porcine Aviator
11-17-2015, 10:29 AM

Good decision-- one slip or miss hit with a maul, and it's beddy bye time for a while.

pga7602
11-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Good decision-- one slip or miss hit with a maul, and it's beddy bye time for a while.

Exactly! To close the loop, I did end up getting the manual hydrolic splitter. I was able to know out an entire cart of wood fairly quickly. Not once did I even break a sweat. You guys rock!

Fwismoker
11-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Exactly! To close the loop, I did end up getting the manual hydrolic splitter. I was able to know out an entire cart of wood fairly quickly. Not once did I even break a sweat. You guys rock! Awesome, and yes you can get really efficient with that splitter when you get the hang of it. Shorter pieces i use a piece of wood to lessen the distance it has to go.

I'll use both gears back and forth to get up to the split faster too.

Yendor
11-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I was going to say, if you've never swung a splitting maul before you may need someone to teach you. Hitting your shin ain't fun. And it is physically demanding.

Ag76
12-02-2015, 02:44 PM
I got this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631753_200631753

How do you like that Ironton log splitter, Terry? I was thinking about getting one of those.

THoey1963
12-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Ag, it works great, but it is heavy. I had to get a friend to help me get the box into the garage. Then for some reason, I didn't unbox it at that time. A couple days later, I had to get another friend to help me get it out of the box. I have had no probs with it splitting wood. I have had a couple splits pop and fly out of it. Make sure you have clearance around you and eye protection.

Oh, and remember to open the oil bleeder valve when you use it. She'll scream if you don't. I only did that once.

Ag76
12-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Ag, it works great, but it is heavy. I had to get a friend to help me get the box into the garage. Then for some reason, I didn't unbox it at that time. A couple days later, I had to get another friend to help me get it out of the box. I have had no probs with it splitting wood. I have had a couple splits pop and fly out of it. Make sure you have clearance around you and eye protection.

Oh, and remember to open the oil bleeder valve when you use it. She'll scream if you don't. I only did that once.

I looked back at the Specs after you pointed out that it is heavy. Shipping Weight of 120 lbs. Portability appears to be limited unless you can roll it to where you want to use it. There won't be a lot of carrying it around.

Richard_
12-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Another fan of the Fiskars splitters

pjtexas1
12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
I have had a couple splits pop and fly out of it. Make sure you have clearance around you and eye protection.

very good advice. this has happened on my HF hydraulic manual splitter too and will probably happen on most of them. i have learned that after a few pulls that if it hasn't started to split or at least make a cracking sound to pull it out and reposition the log. i guess you can just keep going but when it finally splits it is going to do it with some violence.:thumb: