PDA

View Full Version : Would you....

Doug Crann
11-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Was in Cash and Carry today. Much to my surprise my wife suggested picking up another 2-pack of pork butts...guess she does like my cooking...when I was digging thru the bin Tim, the produce manager pulled out a box....had 4 packages of butts...cryovac busted open. Buck a pound. Would you have bought it? We paid $1.48 @ pound for the package we bought....

MisterChrister
11-11-2015, 08:16 PM
I'd personally pass since I can catch it on sale for $1/# pretty often. I'm a little OCD about my food safety chain though, and wouldn't trust if something funny got on my food :)

pjtexas1
11-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Maybe if it was fresh and I could cook it within a couple days.

yakdung
11-11-2015, 08:17 PM
HEB in Houston regularly sells butts for $1.00 a pound.

Bludawg
11-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Absolutely wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil then freeze 'em, they keep for 6months before they start to degrade.

IamMadMan
11-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Everyone has their own comfort level with food products that could possibly be contaminated. Nobody really know when the packages ruptured and how long they have been exposed.

I'm a germophobe when it comes to food products, so I would have had to pass on them unless I was going to cure them within the next two days to make shoulder ham, or buckboard bacon.

The nitrites would kill any bacteria that could cause food poisoning putting me back into a comfort zone with them.

Ag76
11-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Everyone has their own comfort level with food products that could possibly be contaminated. Nobody really know when the packages ruptured and how long they have been exposed.

I'm a germophobe when it comes to food products, so I would have had to pass on them unless I was going to cure them within the next two days to make shoulder ham, or buckboard bacon.

The nitrites would kill any bacteria that could cause food poisoning putting me back into a comfort zone with them.

Wouldn't the heat from the cook also kill the bacteria?

MAB52
11-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Yes, I would have looked them over and if they looked OK, I would have then smelled them and if they smelled OK, then I would do as Bludawg suggests.

OS
11-11-2015, 10:01 PM
In a heartbeat.
I would probably dedicate them to sausage making meat.

blazinfire
11-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Not this guy. It's only because I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to cooking all together. I cook for my family on a daily basis and I'm pretty picky for just us. But honestly If it didn't smell bad and it looked fresh then I don't see why someone wouldn't consider it.

IamMadMan
11-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't the heat from the cook also kill the bacteria?

It will as long as it gets from 40 to 140 internally within 4 hours it is considered in the safe zone, but my personal concern isn't the bacteria on the surface, but what ruptured the packages and if it penetrated into the deeper tissues.

Not knowing what ruptured them is my personal hang-up. I experienced food poisoning in the military, and for those who have never had this very unpleasant experience, they would be more willing to take chances than those who have. Most severe types of food poisoning doesn't happen within hour or overnight, but rather some take up to 30 days to colonize and produce their neuro-toxins.