PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg samsclub deal

Rusty Kettle
11-11-2015, 03:22 PM
http://m.samsclub.com/ip/big-green-egg-ceramic-grill-medium/prod14020825?xid=shocking-values_product_search

Can't buy myself but sams club online is having a heck of a deal. Just thought some brethren might be interested and since it's not a personal item thought Qtalk might be more appropriate. If not I am sure the mods will move this but it's a limited time deal.

pmad
11-11-2015, 03:40 PM
CAUTION: Big Green Egg does not warrant Eggs purchased at wholesale clubs such as SAMS or Costco.

D-Train
11-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Why?

Ron_L
11-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Because they are not authorized dealers.

Rusty Kettle
11-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Because they are not authorized dealers.

Really? That sucks and I thought maybe if the supply held out I could get one on the cheap after the end of the year.

Sorry guys had no idea they weren't authorized.

How are they getting them if not through Big Green Egg?

silverfinger
11-11-2015, 04:21 PM
22" kamado at SAMs for 400.00 in so cal.

PatAttack
11-11-2015, 04:22 PM
22" kamado at SAMs for 400.00 in so cal.

Pretty sure it's the same deal.

No Warranty.:tsk:

silverfinger
11-11-2015, 05:02 PM
SAMs has a return policy (at least they did) that let you return stuff if defective for a full refund. I think even years later. I was told this by someone, never tried it myself.

LYU370
11-11-2015, 06:05 PM
CAUTION: Big Green Egg does not warrant Eggs purchased at wholesale clubs such as SAMS or Costco.

Did not know that. Are the Kamado Joes purchased at the Costco Road shows warrantied?

cheez59
11-11-2015, 06:13 PM

This screams to me that the quality might not be up to par. Otherwise why would they not warranty the product?

Randall Lee
11-11-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm thinking the higher price from a BGE dealer cover life time warrenty.

SimcoBBQ
11-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Just an FYI $800 for a medium BGE isn't that good of a deal ( unless I misread something it said it had a 15" grate ) . I'm sure you could get a better deal by talking to your local BGE dealer.
On the no-warranty issue ( I'm not a BGE dealer , but I'm a wholesaler for Primo and other pool related products)
In my experience manufacturers will have a no-warranty policy from items bought off the Internet or @ wholesale clubs so that they can somewhat protect their MAP pricing and not cut their local dealer out so to speak.

Randall Lee
11-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Think the best deals come from eggfeast on their one day demo's. normally have place setter, and nest around $800,

Ron_L
11-11-2015, 06:36 PM
This screams to me that the quality might not be up to par. Otherwise why would they not warranty the product?

It has nothing to do with the quality of the product. As mentioned, they are trying to protect their authorized dealers.

cheez59
11-11-2015, 07:00 PM
It has nothing to do with the quality of the product. As mentioned, they are trying to protect their authorized dealers.

I'm not disputing your word because I'm sure you know more about this than me. If BGE wanted to protect their dealers then why even sell to wholesale clubs? Better yet why would someone pay the big price for something that had no warranty?

sturev
11-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Did not know that. Are the Kamado Joes purchased at the Costco Road shows warrantied?

Yes, they are... the road show is actually sponsored by Kamado Joe not a 3rd party.

SimcoBBQ
11-11-2015, 08:00 PM
I'm not disputing your word because I'm sure you know more about this than me. If BGE wanted to protect their dealers then why even sell to wholesale clubs? Better yet why would someone pay the big price for something that had no warranty?

To kinda answer your question , BGE may not have sold them to the wholesale club. Not saying they didn't , but it is possible they didn't. Over the last 20 or so years "buying groups" have popped up to be able to buy product @ wholesale prices from manufacturers. Buying groups not being a brick and mortar have no overhead. Therefore they can sell products online , wholesale clubs ect. @ whatever price they want. A great example of this is buying from Amazon. You can get it cheaper than you can locally, but if you have a problem your experience will be poor @ best. The only re-coarse that a manufacturer can have for someone that sell their product below the suggested price is to not offer a warranty. That in itself is the only way to protect the dealers.

And I have no idea why someone would pay that price with no warranty , my guess is it's not advertised that it doesn't come with one

CakeM1x
11-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Yes, KJ doesn't care where you bought it from or even if you're the original owner. All you need to do to claim anything is take a picture of the damaged part it and send them the pic.

Ron_L
11-12-2015, 09:15 AM

To kinda answer your question , BGE may not have sold them to the wholesale club. Not saying they didn't , but it is possible they didn't. Over the last 20 or so years "buying groups" have popped up to be able to buy product @ wholesale prices from manufacturers. Buying groups not being a brick and mortar have no overhead. Therefore they can sell products online , wholesale clubs ect. @ whatever price they want. A great example of this is buying from Amazon. You can get it cheaper than you can locally, but if you have a problem your experience will be poor @ best. The only re-coarse that a manufacturer can have for someone that sell their product below the suggested price is to not offer a warranty. That in itself is the only way to protect the dealers.

And I have no idea why someone would pay that price with no warranty , my guess is it's not advertised that it doesn't come with one

Yep... There was a big discussion of this a while back. I'll try to find it. Sam's, Costco, etc. are buying through a distributor and not directly from BGE. Apparently BGE can't stop them from doing that.

As far as folks buying them without a warranty I suspect it is because they don't know. Sams' etc. isn't going to advertise that. they just want to make the sale.

Ron_L
11-12-2015, 09:20 AM
This is from the Sam's Club web site... They skirt the issue...

http://reviews.samsclub.com/answers/1337/product/prod14020825/questions.htm

And this is from BGE (http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/)...

BIG GREEN EGGS AND RELATED BGE PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM UNAUTHORIZED RESELLERS, UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTIES OR THROUGH UNAUTHORIZED RETAIL CHANNELS SUCH AS DISCOUNT CLUBS AND DISCOUNT CHAIN STORES ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THE BIG GREEN EGG WARRANTY.

Please note: When a consumer purchases from an unauthorized source or reseller, even one operating as an apparently legitimate business offering products in unopened boxes with blank warranty cards, they are buying, by legal definition, used products. When someone buys from an unauthorized reseller or retailer, or from an unauthorized online reseller, they are almost always buying re-sold items without manufacturer’s warranties regardless of any statements or claims made by the seller. This is the published policy of many brands and companies, not just BGE. Check for Authorized BGE Dealers at http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/

Ron_L
11-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Yes, KJ doesn't care where you bought it from or even if you're the original owner. All you need to do to claim anything is take a picture of the damaged part it and send them the pic.

They make the same disclaimer in their warranty (http://www.kamadojoe.com/resources/warranty-classic) about the big box stores...

What Will Void the Warranty?

Purchasing any Kamado Joe product through an unauthorized dealer voids the warranty. An unauthorized dealer is defined as, but not limited to discount clubs, big box stores or any retailer who has not been expressly granted permission by Kamado Joe to sell Kamado Joe products.

CakeM1x
11-12-2015, 09:46 AM
They make the same disclaimer in their warranty (http://www.kamadojoe.com/resources/warranty-classic) about the big box stores...

I do not think that is the case any longer. I contacted KJ on how to register my joe jr because I threw away the book that has the serial number and there isn't one on the grills. Their response is that it is not needed. All warranty claims I've done only require a picture of the broken part.

Also this thread has a post from the KJ similar to my situation.
http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/22139-warranty-registration-for-a-kj/

Porcine Perfection
11-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Yep... There was a big discussion of this a while back. I'll try to find it. Sam's, Costco, etc. are buying through a distributor and not directly from BGE. Apparently BGE can't stop them from doing that.

They can by only selling to authorized retailers but they won't because they don't want to lose out on the revenue.

Ron_L
11-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Here is the older discussion I was thinking about...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127157

Post 54 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1968956&postcount=54) is a statement on this from a BGE employee.

I'm not saying that the BGE or Kamado Joe policy is right or wrong, or anything about the products. Since the question came up I want you guys to have as much info as possible before you decide to buy or not.

Ron_L
11-12-2015, 09:52 AM
I do not think that is the case any longer. I contacted KJ on how to register my joe jr because I threw away the book that has the serial number and there isn't one on the grills. Their response is that it is not needed. All warranty claims I've done only require a picture of the broken part.

Also this thread has a post from the KJ similar to my situation.
http://www.kamadoguru.com/user/2321-kamado-joe/

That could be true, but it's on their web site today, so anyone thinking of buying from one of these stores should be aware of their official statement on the web site just in case. They could decide to enforce it if they want to.

NickTheGreat
11-12-2015, 10:50 AM
I was at Sams a few months ago and noticed a BGE sitting at the return section. I didn't know that they sold them.

Makes more sense now.

16Adams
11-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Bretheren- ceramics can be broken- but they are not THAT fragile. Most folks don't come on a forum and check in with "just an update- my ceramic cooker is doing great 10 years after purchase". But millions are. Look over the forum posts "PBC issues" comes to mind but not the only one. Guessing There are 100k+ of these in use with no issues at all. Sam's sells an extended warranty on everything they sell. Buy it if you are concerned. There are lemons and bad productions of every item on planet earth. You may get struck by lightening and get one.
Ceramics are not one piece. They are a bunch of pieces. If the front right tire goes flat then fix it or buy a replacement , not a set of spark plug wires- or a new truck.

Sorry. 12 hours sleep in three days. But the Taurid Meteor Shower was awesome.

That being said- nest or no nest I wouldn't pay that much warranty or not for the medium BGE. Now maybe if it were oval :-))

But a lot of folks are willing to pay up- purchase the Sam's extended coverage and get to cooking. I salute you and the OP.

Thanks for posting