PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Beef Ribs Advice

Lordkifar
11-05-2015, 07:06 PM
So finally found some quality beef ribs....dino size that I can smoke this weekend.

Now there are a lot of rubs out there and they all look similar give or take a dash of this or a spoon of that. Sof or the rub, I am going form something simple (salt, pepper, garlic and mustard powder, some chili and cayenne).

Now the big question, do you folks inject the ribs meat with beef broth like you would do for a brisket?

Also, how long and at what temperature would you smoke it at?

Thanks in advance.

Ron_L
11-05-2015, 07:20 PM
I've never injected them, but you can if you want to try it. I cook beef ribs at 250-ish until tender, probably 5-6 hours depending on how thick they are.

landarc
11-05-2015, 07:22 PM
No injection here, but, I don't inject brisket either. There is no value to injecting either meat with beef broth or any other non-phosphate injection.

Okie Sawbones
11-05-2015, 07:31 PM
I cook a lot of beef ribs. S & P is all you need. You can throw a little garlic and onion powder in the mix if you like savory. Cooking temperature is up to you, but anywhere from 225 - 275 is common. At 225, it is going to take around 8 hours. 275 takes 4+ hours. It also depends on the thickness of the rib meat. Take the meat to 200 degrees internal, then keep cooking until probe tender, usually around 203-207 degrees. I don't inject.

Make sure you are not getting back ribs, rather a plate, or short ribs, preferably with 2" of meat on them. Have fun -- they are worth the cost.

BBQ Freak
11-05-2015, 07:35 PM
I never inject beef rids either , I love just tasting the beef flavor . I cook mine anywhere from 250 degrees to 275 degrees and time all depends how big they are and on the rub keep it simple the better .

Lordkifar
11-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Great. Thanks folks. I guess no injection and 250 on average it is. Very excited ....not to many butchers carry them and worse now with winter coming, i kept getting "oh bbq season is over so not getting more. .." What gives...we live in Canada...friggin cold winters....figured people are used to it...

Danny B
11-05-2015, 08:24 PM
My last beef ribs were my best yet. Used k salt, coarse pepper, granulated onion and granulated garlic for rub. No injection. Cooked on middle rack of WSM while a brisket was on top rack. Maverick had top rack at 290-300 so I think middle rack was around 265-275. They were probe tender in 6 hours. Good luck.

Lordkifar
11-05-2015, 08:25 PM
I cook a lot of beef ribs. S & P is all you need. You can throw a little garlic and onion powder in the mix if you like savory. Cooking temperature is up to you, but anywhere from 225 - 275 is common. At 225, it is going to take around 8 hours. 275 takes 4+ hours. It also depends on the thickness of the rib meat. Take the meat to 200 degrees internal, then keep cooking until probe tender, usually around 203-207 degrees. I don't inject.

Make sure you are not getting back ribs, rather a plate, or short ribs, preferably with 2" of meat on them. Have fun -- they are worth the cost.

Definitely short ribs with 2" of meat roughly. ...full length rib bone

Lordkifar
11-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Another thought....do i remove any bottom membranes like pork ribs? Also should i trim any fat on the surface or leave it baste?

Danny B
11-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Another thought....do i remove any bottom membranes like pork ribs? Also should i trim any fat on the surface or leave it baste?

I removed a good bit of fat but not all. I removed as much of the membrane as I could.

BBQ Freak
11-05-2015, 10:48 PM
I remove the membrane and as much fat as I can , there is a lot of marble fat throughout the meat to keep it moist and to render out .

SGH
11-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Lots of great advice already offered above. As such I will share how I cook them as well. I have never injected beef ribs. I don't really see a need or the point of injecting them. But that's a personal choice and you could certainly inject them if you wanted to. As far as removing the membrane, l prefer to do it. Is it necessary? No, not really. I just prefer to remove it. By removing it seasoning seems to adhere better on the back side instead of fading away. As far as trimming the external fat, I like to shape them up "even" but I don't remove it all. Just my preference. I have actually cooked them trimmed and untrimmed and see little difference in the end quality. As such, I now just shape them up. A mild trim if you will. As far as cook times and temps, I have seen times all over the place. Therefore I don't really worry about a set time, just cook them until tender. Depending on what I'm cooking them on, I have had great luck with several different temps. On my BGE I have ran them as high as 315 degrees with outstanding results. On my Shirley offset or Pitmaker Vault I run them between 275-285 degrees just depending on where the pit wants to settle in. When it comes to seasoning, the sky is the limit. Just use what tastes good to you. I'm a huge fan of cayenne, as such I sprinkle a little on just about everything. I have cooked beef ribs as low as 200 degrees and as high as 325 degrees and ultimately settled for the 275 to 315 range just depending on what I'm cooking on. I see little difference in the end quality. Good luck with your cook and I look forward to seeing them.

Lordkifar
11-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Folks, Thanks so much for all the advice....seriously without this forum I would be very uninformed...and probably richer (yes...there are too many enablers on here...HAHAHAHA)....I will post pics throughout the process :D

Cheers

THoey1963
11-06-2015, 01:55 PM
What they all said. Only thing I can add is to test for tenderness between each bone with a toothpick. I had a four bone rack that I just tested in the middle. Bones two and three (middle) were tender, bone one was a little tight, and bone four was tough. Had to reheat it in the oven the next day for lunch to loosen it up a bit. Since then I test between each bone and they all turn out great.

Ok, and SPOG with some W Sauce...

Meatsnz
11-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Sounds good, doing some beef ribs tomorrow. What's everyone's thought on type of wood to use

yakdung
11-06-2015, 03:36 PM
https://youtu.be/nFVu_XwLrew