PDA

View Full Version : Need help. what is a pork picnic roast?

blazinfire
11-01-2015, 06:24 PM
So Tomorrow I have a group of guys coming to help paint the house. I figured pulled pork would be the cheapest thing to cook for an army of people. Well our local store was all out of pork butts and only had picnic roasts!

Do you make pulled pork from picnic roasts? How do you prepare them? I noticed there's skin on it do you cut it off? This is going on my new WSM tomorrow while we paint!

smoke ninja
11-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Makes nice pulled pork. Most prefer butts but some consider the picnic to have more flavor.

Cook it as you would a butt. Most remove the skin but i like to score it and chop the crispy bits into the meat.

minAL
11-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Picnic is what's left after they cut the butt off. Cook with skin on and when done put skin back on smoker for hour or so and crumble on sandwich.

LMAJ
11-01-2015, 06:42 PM
We do picnics all the time. We usually just leave the skin on, and rub the rest of the meat. Put it on the cooker skin side down - makes for a nice barrier when cooking on a WSM or Egg.

blazinfire
11-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I was pretty sure it was good for pulled pork. Just wasn't sure! Gonna be a long day tomorrow. these things are like 10 pounds how long do you think they will cook?

Bludawg
11-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I prefer a picnic when Ian get them they have more flavor and I get to make chicarones out the skin

blazinfire
11-01-2015, 07:09 PM
I prefer a picnic when Ian get them they have more flavor and I get to make chicarones out the skin

Chicarones. Gotta tell me more about that! I have 3 of these things! What's a chicarone and how do you make it?

Rusty Kettle
11-01-2015, 07:21 PM
My favorite cut of pork is the picnic roast. It's cheaper than a butt and generally bigger than the butts we get around here. It is a bit tougher but if you cook it long enough it will be tender. I cook more picnic roasts all year than any other cut of meat.

I like to slice off the skin and cut into small squares about an inch big and season them with dry rub. Smoke them about an hour to hour and a half. Eat them right off the smoker and tell no one. It's better than bacon in my opinion. One of my secrets around here I keep to myself kind of like my mom kept the secret of turkey skin from me until I met my wife and she spilled the beans. Pig skin is delicious.

SmittyJonz
11-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Pig Calf or maybe bicep/tricep - below shoulder (which is the butt)........ Tasty.

Bludawg
11-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Chicarones. Gotta tell me more about that! I have 3 of these things! What's a chicarone and how do you make it?
take the skin and cut it into pieces about the size of a sugar packet put them into a heavy bottomed pot or a DO with a cup of water on med low heat and let 'em cook as the lard renders the water will evaporate and they will fry in their own fat when they are golden brown they are done( like the fat on bacon) remove from the fat season with salt add shake on some Valentinas if you like and munch out. Save the lard for biscuits or pie crusts.

blazinfire
11-01-2015, 10:30 PM
take the skin and cut it into pieces about the size of a sugar packet put them into a heavy bottomed pot or a DO with a cup of water on med low heat and let 'em cook as the lard renders the water will evaporate and they will fry in their own fat when they are golden brown they are done( like the fat on bacon) remove from the fat season with salt add shake on some Valentinas if you like and munch out. Save the lard for biscuits or pie crusts.

Thanks man!!!! I'll have to try that some time. Seems like picnic roasts are easier for me to buy. A little more expensive. because I buy the smaller cut up pork butts that the butcher puts out normally for pulled pork.

cheez59
11-02-2015, 05:37 AM
I trim the skin off of my picnics. Then smoke the meat as you would a pork butt. Cut the skin into thin strips about 1/2" wide and couple inches long. Then deep fry them until golden brown and crispy. Drain them on paper towels and hit them with Tony C's while they are still hot. Thank me later. :wink:

JohnnyB
11-02-2015, 09:55 AM
With a picnic having a bigger bone, I assume you can't do a bone wiggle test to check for done. So do you go by temp?

rickv14623
11-02-2015, 12:27 PM
With a picnic having a bigger bone, I assume you can't do a bone wiggle test to check for done. So do you go by temp?

That or probe test and time. YMMV

SmittyJonz
11-02-2015, 12:39 PM
I smoke them to 195* IT and Chop them instead of pull/shred them.

Woody Butthrie
11-02-2015, 01:04 PM
The bone will wiggle.

churrodog
11-02-2015, 01:18 PM

I have been doing picnics exclusively lately. Are the muscles longer than some in the butt? I end up pulling and then chopping large chunks in half to avoid being long and stringy.

blazinfire
11-02-2015, 04:44 PM

I have been doing picnics exclusively lately. Are the muscles longer than some in the butt? I end up pulling and then chopping large chunks in half to avoid being long and stringy.

I wish I would of chopped it instead of pulling it. I found it rather long and stringy when pulling it!

But anyways I have no Pics. Been painting the house all day to busy to take pictures.

I have to say this tho, The flavor is amazing! If you like pork then hands down the flavor from the picnic is better than the butt IMO!

The WSM ran good, I'm having a little problem with thick smoke and getting it going. It took a good hour for the thick smoke to stop! I'm sure its all about learning how to run it.

One thing I have to say so far I find the water pan frustrating to use. Only because I forgot about it while working and the water evaporated and the drippings started burning in the bottom. I took the water pan out. If I can run it without the water pan I'll probably go that route. (Probably would of been a good idea to buy a PBC at that point huh? haha)

Rusty Kettle
11-02-2015, 05:44 PM
I wish I would of chopped it instead of pulling it. I found it rather long and stringy when pulling it!

But anyways I have no Pics. Been painting the house all day to busy to take pictures.

I have to say this tho, The flavor is amazing! If you like pork then hands down the flavor from the picnic is better than the butt IMO!

The WSM ran good, I'm having a little problem with thick smoke and getting it going. It took a good hour for the thick smoke to stop! I'm sure its all about learning how to run it.

One thing I have to say so far I find the water pan frustrating to use. Only because I forgot about it while working and the water evaporated and the drippings started burning in the bottom. I took the water pan out. If I can run it without the water pan I'll probably go that route. (Probably would of been a good idea to buy a PBC at that point huh? haha)

Set a pie pan in an empty water pan and use a grease separator to filter the juice and pour it over the pork and be ready to have your socks knocked off. It's called Aus Jus. Not sure if spelled it right but it's good stuff.

blazinfire
11-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Set a pie pan in an empty water pan and use a grease separator to filter the juice and pour it over the pork and be ready to have your socks knocked off. It's called Aus Jus. Not sure if spelled it right but it's good stuff.

Oh yeah I know all about Aus Jus. (I really don't think its spelled right). That's my reasons for wrapping a lot of my food.But that's a good idea. I figured the water pan would work for a drip pan but it just burns right up. Might be my fault if that's not normal.