PDA

View Full Version : Smoked beef jerky tips

smokin30-06
11-01-2015, 02:24 PM
I have been wanting to make some beef jerky with a fire instead of a dehydrator. My dehydrator runs at 150f, do I need to run a smoker at that temp? I would think I would have a better time getting my Hasty Bake that low rather than the Primo. Does anyone have any tips for how to get 150f for 4-5 hours? Would that be too much smoke? I have a coffee can that I could use to make a small fire. Not sure how to set it up though.

Thanks!
John

IamMadMan
11-01-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't have a Primo, but I only use a couple briquettes for lower temperatures in my smoker. You can get cold smoking accomplished with an A-Maze-N pellet maze.

Keep in mind that smoke and low heat will produce outstanding jerky.

Also... Some Recipes Here
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3055063&postcount=2

dport7
11-01-2015, 05:02 PM
It sometimes is a little hard, but I keep my offset stick burner at 160 for the first hour,
then drop it to around 120 for eight to ten hours.

I give a lot of my jerky away and am told it's the best they've ever had.

blazinfire
11-01-2015, 06:33 PM
From my research I would recommend a 150 degree temp. I have always made jerky from my dehydrator. In the next week or two I'm going to try making jerky on my WSM! I haven't decided if I was going for the snake method or the minion method yet. I figure I could build a small charcoal minion method and get the WSM running at 150!

smokin30-06
11-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Okay so now that I know it would be good, now I just have to figure out how to hit the right temps.
What if I put maybe three 0.5" holes in the coffee can by the lower rim, filled it with charcoal, then dumped maybe 3 lit coals on the top? I think that might be a small but pretty hot fire...

If I figure the temps out, I could use my Primo racks as an addition inside the HB for more space!

dport7
11-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Okay so now that I know it would be good, now I just have to figure out how to hit the right temps.
What if I put maybe three 0.5" holes in the coffee can by the lower rim, filled it with charcoal, then dumped maybe 3 lit coals on the top? I think that might be a small but pretty hot fire...

If I figure the temps out, I could use my Primo racks as an addition inside the HB for more space!

Thats something you'll have to experiment with Couple things to consider,
Temp of meat going in will bring temp down, weather conditions will effect it also. as the meat dries, the temp will climb, so you will reduce fuel

Mine runs different every time I use it, its a babysitting thing, long and tedious, but well worth it in the end

smokin30-06
11-05-2015, 11:35 PM
First test went suprisingly well. I filled the coffee can full of KBB with 2 1/2" holes at the bottom of the sides. It ranged from 150-170 with a couple of adjustments. After 2-2.5 hours, I think it was choking on it's own ash. I need to figure out some sort of spacer to keep the charcoal out of the ash.

Rusty Kettle
11-06-2015, 12:24 AM
I wait to make jerky until it is at least in the low 30's. Some people will add a pan of ice to force the temps lower. Don't go lower than 145 unless you cure it first. I make mine at about 145-150 range.

cheez59
11-06-2015, 12:56 AM
I make jerky in my oven set at 200. It has always come out perfect. I don't see why you couldn't smoke it at 200.

dport7
11-06-2015, 05:31 AM
It can be smoked at any temp, I think meat is fully cooked at 160"all bacteria killed'
after that it is adding smoke flavor desired and drying the meat out.

smokin30-06
11-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I make jerky in my oven set at 200. It has always come out perfect. I don't see why you couldn't smoke it at 200.

Good point. I wonder if the lower temps like 160f are more a function of how hot dehydrators can get while maintaining some efficiency.

I still need to run a smaller fire so I don't blow past 200f ish. I could also try a thin fuse some time. For now, I put some bailing wire in the bottom of my coffee can to make room for the ash from kbb. Currently at 95f and rising.